Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

iPhone streaming to Apple TV

Solved!

iPhone streaming to Apple TV

Hi there,

Is there a possibility to stream the music from iPhone Spotify to Apple TV? If yes, how? Additional software (apps)?

Thank you for helping me.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

There should be no need for additional applications - it is built right into the iPhone and the Apple TV.  AirPlay is Apple's method of sending audio or video to another device.  First, you want to go into the Settings on your AppleTV, and ensure AirPlay is enabled.  Then, on your iPhone, ensire it is connected to the same wireless netwotk your AppleTV is on.  Then, go into Spotify and play some music.  Once the music starts playing from your phone, double tap the home button on your phone, and once the mutitasking bar comes up on the bottom, swipe once to the right.  To the right of the music controls, you should see a button that looks similar to this:

Screen Shot 2012-03-18 at 7.51.33 PM.png

(That's actually the button from iTines - I'm unable to use AirPlay on my phone at the moment, but the button looks somewhat similar.)  Hit that button.  You should have a choice of devices - in this case, you'll probably see "iPhone" which will be checked, and "Apple TV."  Tap on the Apple TV option, and after a few seconds, your music should start playing on your Apple TV, and not your phone.

Edit: It should be noted that AirPlay was introduced in iOS 4.2, so if you've got an older version, I am not aware of any way to do it if you can't upgrade.

View solution in original post

12 Replies
Marked as solution

There should be no need for additional applications - it is built right into the iPhone and the Apple TV.  AirPlay is Apple's method of sending audio or video to another device.  First, you want to go into the Settings on your AppleTV, and ensure AirPlay is enabled.  Then, on your iPhone, ensire it is connected to the same wireless netwotk your AppleTV is on.  Then, go into Spotify and play some music.  Once the music starts playing from your phone, double tap the home button on your phone, and once the mutitasking bar comes up on the bottom, swipe once to the right.  To the right of the music controls, you should see a button that looks similar to this:

Screen Shot 2012-03-18 at 7.51.33 PM.png

(That's actually the button from iTines - I'm unable to use AirPlay on my phone at the moment, but the button looks somewhat similar.)  Hit that button.  You should have a choice of devices - in this case, you'll probably see "iPhone" which will be checked, and "Apple TV."  Tap on the Apple TV option, and after a few seconds, your music should start playing on your Apple TV, and not your phone.

Edit: It should be noted that AirPlay was introduced in iOS 4.2, so if you've got an older version, I am not aware of any way to do it if you can't upgrade.

that button does not appear when my appleTV and iphone are connected to the same network with airplay speakers turned on... 

Worked for me. Thanks.

What I really want is the Spotify app running on the Apple TV, but controlled by either the iPhone / Android device.

That would rock.

Better way - when in Spotify on the iPhone, look at the Album cover of your song. Press the "i" (information) on the top left of the screen. You'll see the volume control. Look to the right of the volume control - you'll see the Airplay symbol!

Great solution and worked perfectly!!!  Thanks!

Great advice as above... it works a treat... have been looking around for a way to sync up Spotify to my Apple TV without having purchase other apps.. and it was sitting within Spotify all the time...  so am playing all my Spotify tunes via my Ipad... remote is cool.. music playing and accessible just how I want it.. wonderful!

Run Spotify on Mac Mini and control via iPad (or iPhone) Remoteless App. Apple TV audio quality - especially with 48hz transfer - is poor.

To steam iPhone to Apple TV, you need to check the files are supported by Apple TV. If the videos, movies, songs and music on iPhone are in AVI, MKV, WMV, DivX, XviD, FLV, FLAC, OGV and do not support by iTunes, it is impossible to directly airplay them to Apple TV. You need to change the files to the format supported by iTunes.

This Is The Trick! i just realized why i didnt have the option at first, anybody NOT seeing the airplay the reason is  the music can't be playing in order to see the airplay option . when i paused the music then i had the option by the volume ... and the music plays on 😉 

thanks!

Hi All,

Sorry to resurrect this, but I'm having issues with streaming to my AppleTV.  When I connect and start playing music through my Spotify app on my iPhone or iPad, the music often skips a lot, to the point where the connection is eventually terminated.   I've checked my internet speed, and it's more than fine (16mbps and up), and music streams just fine from my iPod app, and everything else on AppleTV works just fine.  Any ideas what the issue could be? I'm read some things about opening  a port to allow Spotify access to my router, but I thought this was a simple connection, so I didn't think I'd have to do all that...

Does it stream normally when not outputing to the Apple TV on your iPhone and iPad?

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Absolutely, works just fine.

Suggested posts