Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

iPod Classic causing Spotify to crash

Solved!

iPod Classic causing Spotify to crash

I've been syncing my 80gb iPod Classic through Spotify for months already, but i decided to redo all of my playlists (local music only) and figured that factory resetting my iPod would be best in order to make sure there wouldn't be any problems with fragmented files or anything. After the reset, I open Spotify with no problems, but when i plug in my iPod, it shows it under the Devices list for a second and then Spotify crashes. I tried opening it back up with my iPod still plugged in, and it crashes upon opening. After a few tests of my own, I've determined that if I leave my iPod unplugged from my laptop, Spotify has no problems at all, but the second it's plugged in, all hell breaks loose. Any idea what the problem could be?

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hi, and welcome to the community!

Please try and do a clean reinstall of the Spotify client.

Liam

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

Okay, few more suggestions you can try. 

Be sure you are running Spotify as administraor, you can do this normally by right clicking on the Spotify icon on your desktop and selecting "Run as Administrator".

Although its unlikely to be having an effect, untick the "Enable Hardware Acceleration" option in the Preferences menu in Spotify.

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

View solution in original post

68 Replies
Marked as solution

Hi, and welcome to the community!

Please try and do a clean reinstall of the Spotify client.

Liam

There are instructions on how to do a clean reinstallation here 😉

Peter

Peter

huh. i did a clean install yesterday and it didn't work, but now it did. not sure why it didn't work before, but i'm not complaining. thanks! 😄

I have found the iPod sync can just be a little tempermental sometimes, personally I blame Apple lol 😛 

Glad its working!

Peter

Peter

So, another problem arose. My iPod wasn't letting me look through my music (though i could shuffle through all songs) and i factory restored it again, and when i hooked it up to my laptop, the same problem as before happened. After another full re-install AND laptop restart, it's still happening. Wouldn't surprise me if it's a problem with my laptop, but I'd love to get it working.

Marked as solution

Okay, few more suggestions you can try. 

Be sure you are running Spotify as administraor, you can do this normally by right clicking on the Spotify icon on your desktop and selecting "Run as Administrator".

Although its unlikely to be having an effect, untick the "Enable Hardware Acceleration" option in the Preferences menu in Spotify.

Peter

Peter

Ran in Admin mode w/ hardware acceleration, and it's still giving me the same problem.

Ah I'm running out of suggestions now 😛 

Is it possible to reset the iPod using iTunes and make sure it is running the most up to date software as possible? Could be a versioning issue.

Also, is your Windows fully up to date in Windows Update? Is Spotify or Windows logging any crash events in Windows Event Viewer? 

Peter

Peter

Jesus, Apple really does suck. I restored it again for the 10th time, and NOW it decides to work. They need to get their factory restoring working correctly xD 

Fingers crossed for you this time is the last! 😉

Peter

Peter

false alarm. still not working. no event viewer errors showing, and windows says i'm up to date.

any other suggestions? 😕

I'm all out, but what I will do is escalate this topic to the community staff and the super user team, see if anyone else has any suggestions for you 😉

Peter

Peter

@johnothetree wrote:

any other suggestions? 😕

Hi,

Have you tried completely reinstalling the iPod software?

Be aware that the Spotify sync is very temperamental.

Liam

works for me! thanks for the help, kind soul!

I've factory reset my iPod multiple times, to no avail.

I've also been using Spotify's sync for months, but it randomly started giving me these problems after i reset my iPod yesterday.

@johnothetree wrote:

I've factory reset my iPod multiple times, to no avail.

But have you tried to reinstall an update if this is possible?

Also, do a clean Spotify client reinstall as well as uninstalling iTunes 🙂

Strange issue, and I'm not really sure where to start.

Back to basics though, are you able to try another USB port on your computer. I've got a dodgy USB port on my home PC and it causes all kinds of issues sometimes.

Check out our Twitter for the latest updates on any service issues: @Spotifystatus

Problem solved? Click 'Accept as solution' to make it easier to find for others!

New to the Community? Check out our Community newbie tips

iPod is up to date (checked via iTunes just to make sure).

iTunes successfully uninstalled.

Spotify succesfully uninstalled, and then reinstalled.

Status: still crashes if iPod is plugged in, whether it's plugged in before I start Spotify, or if i plug it in after Spotify is already running.

Just for clarification, i'm only trying to sync up the local files of my playlists (as i don't have money for Spotify Premium).

Suggested posts