Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

not understanding "available offline" feature

Solved!

not understanding "available offline" feature

Maybe I'm confusing myself with technicalities here...but I can't seem to find a definite answer to this seemingly easy question...

Let's say I find an album that I like - I'm on my laptop and I save the album as a playlist. 

Now, I have to leave for work, and would love to listen to this album during my commute on my iPhone. So, I hit the "available offline" feature on my laptop and make sure my iPhone's wireless is turned on.

Now, my question is - do I have to hit the "available offline" for this playlist on my iPhone too? Or is the one "available offline" switch from my laptop enough?

Does Spotify really make us go through a two-step, two-device process to get playlists/music we want seemlessly integrated between multiple environments (i.e. laptop and mobile device)? Am I correct in that the Spotify applications on both laptop and mobile device are separate in the sense that syncing music is stand-alone for each?

Thanks for the help!

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

You have to hit "available offline" separately on each device.

Spotify allows you to log in from any device, but you can only have offline playlists stored on three different devices at once. Your laptop and your phone are considered two different devices so you have used two out of three devices. This is why you must press the available offline button separately on the devices you want to have offline playlists on.

But, whenever you update a playlist that you have made available offline, it updates on all your devices at once. Your playlist data is still serverside, stored in your Spotify account. So when you make a playlist available offline, it will update on its own and you won't have to press buttons again.

View solution in original post

8 Replies
Marked as solution

You have to hit "available offline" separately on each device.

Spotify allows you to log in from any device, but you can only have offline playlists stored on three different devices at once. Your laptop and your phone are considered two different devices so you have used two out of three devices. This is why you must press the available offline button separately on the devices you want to have offline playlists on.

But, whenever you update a playlist that you have made available offline, it updates on all your devices at once. Your playlist data is still serverside, stored in your Spotify account. So when you make a playlist available offline, it will update on its own and you won't have to press buttons again.

Thanks Stupify - didn't even know about the 3-device policy. Will keep that in mind. Cheers!

I'm wondering if they charge for this now, or in the future? I'm going to put everything available offline, but not sure where it is stored, and how much space it takes up? Online drive or on my harddrive? 

@Trace_Blends wrote:

I'm wondering if they charge for this now, or in the future? I'm going to put everything available offline, but not sure where it is stored, and how much space it takes up? Online drive or on my harddrive? 

Hey! Welcome to the community 🙂 

Are you using a desktop/laptop? (This is the iOS section :P)

If you are, then your Spotify files will be stored in the location set in the preference menu (which you can change but is currently affected by a nasty bug) on your hard drive, so you can play them without an internet connection. As for storage size, a 4 minute track at High Quality (320kbps) is about 9MB of storage, so 3,333 offline tracks (the maximum per device) is about 30GB of hard drive space (not including Spotify's other caches). 

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

"so 3,333 offline tracks (the maximum per device)"

why there is maximum offline tracks?

Spotify premium allows you to storage offline content on 3 devices, with a maximum of 3,333 tracks on each device. This is down to the licensing agreements Spotify have with the record labels I guess. 

Peter

Peter

I'm a new user. I like to have music available offline when I fly and I travel often. I have been successful making many songs available offline but i have many that are not. I am no where close to the 3333 songs allowed. I'm close to 250. Any reason why songs won't turn "green" and be available offline? Thanks in advance.

Do you have at least 1GB+ of free space left on your device?

Peter

Suggested posts