Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Who Me Too'd this topic

Problems in the play queue management that have been around forever without having been addressed

Hey all,

It's been a while since I last contributed here. Think my last post was around 2011 or so - right around the time when the Spotify team announced they are going to be concentrating on polishing the basic functionalities of the player. It's been around 3 or so years and I still find myself cursing the badly neglected play queue management on a more or less daily basis. This makes me a sad panda.

As I wrote 3+ years ago, I don't know about anyone else but at least to me the play queue management is like the 3rd most basic functionality in a music player - right after being able to find music in the first place and then being able to actually play it too.

I just spent mere 15 minutes and came up with this list of issues that are still present in the player:

1. Play queue is treated differently depending on whether you choose to "play" some tracks or if you "queue" them. In the former case you can delete the tracks from the play queue, in the latter case you can not.
  2. If you "queue" up tracks in spotify, the shuffle setting has no effect (okay, this might be intentional, or it might not be, I don't know).
  3. If you first choose to "play" some tracks and then you "queue" up additional music, the queued tracks are not placed at the end of the current play queue but, rather, immediately after the currently playing song. Sure, this might also be intentional but, to me, it seems counter-intuitive and just plain wrong.
  4. You can change the order of the "queued" tracks - but only within the confines of the "queued" tracks i.e. if you first choose to "play" tracks and then you "queue" up additional tracks, you can not move a "queued" track to be played in the middle of the tracks you chose to "play".
  5. As a continuation to the previous point, you CAN, however, make a track you chose to "play" to be played in the middle of the "queued" tracks but, instead of just changing the track's position in the play queue, it is duplicated, or triplicated, or quadruplicated (is that a word?) instead i.e. you get to hear that track in the middle of the "queued" tracks... and then again as part of the tracks you chose to "play". Additionally, once you do that, the duplicated tracks becomes "queued" i.e. you can no longer delete it from the play queue.
  6. You can not "queue" tracks by right-clicking on a playlist - the only way to do that is to select the playlist so you can see the tracks in it, then click a track, select all, and then "queue" through a right-click.

Remember folks; it took me all of 15 minutes to come up with all of that.

-typo

PS. I know these are not exactly ideas but, since I can't post on the bug board, I didn't know where else to post this.
PPS. I can't seem to be able to add tags to this post by writing in the text field that tells me to separate the tags by a comma.

Who Me Too'd this topic