Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Smart shuffle does not create a new mix/shuffle order

Smart shuffle does not create a new mix/shuffle order

Whenever I turn smart shuffle on, it does not generate a new shuffle order. It queues the exact same songs in the exact same order every time. Unlike regular shuffle which creates a new mix everytime it is turned off and on, smart shuffle queues the same exact songs. This is a very recent issue. Happens on both liked songs and playlists.
Have tried eating cache, restating phone, force stopping app. App is up to date. Device: galaxy s23 ultra. Premium subscription
99 Replies

I am having the same problem on a Xiaomi. Android problem perhaps?

I can't find a fix at all.

Update from me - this was only happening with my Liked Songs it seems. So I went on the web app and moved all my Liked Songs to a new playlist, which I'll use as my 'Liked Songs' for now. Now it shuffles correctly.

Plan

Premium

Country

United States

Device

Samsung Galaxy S23

Operating System

Android 13

My Question or Issue

Smart Shuffle keeps generating the exact same list of songs every time I turn it on for my Liked Songs playlist. Regular shuffle is still working correctly and Smart Shuffle seems to work some other, smaller playlists, but not for Liked Songs. The issue persists through repeated toggling of the function, closing/reopening of the application, and uninstalling/reinstalling the application.

Hey folks,

Could you let us know the following the version of Spotify you're running? If you haven't already, try clearing the app's cache and data from Android's Settings > Apps > Spotify > Storage to see if that does the trick. Note: You'll be logged out and your settings will be reset, so you'll have to adjust them again. If you had music downloaded for offline listening, you'll have to re-download it as well. Your library, however, will not be affected, so no worries there.

It's also worth performing a clean reinstall of the app by following the steps in this article.

In case the issue persists, please share a short screen recording (along with the Spotify app version) which captures the described behavior on your end so we can investigate further.

Cheers!

YordanModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Version 8.874.652

Plan: Premium

Did exactly as u said cleared cache and data but smart shuffle still shuffling same songs

Hi @via44,

Thanks for the reply and the video. If you turn the Smart Shuffle off and then on again, does the order change or does it stay the same? Does it affect only Liked Songs for you or all playlists?

Let us know how it goes.

JoanModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.

Update from me - I have checked for Spotify updates, and there are none.

Liked Songs and playlists had the issue for a while together. My playlists seems to have fixed itself - as above, I moved all of my liked songs into a new playlist via the Windows app but, not as above, there WAS actually a problem. It reproduced the same problem. However, toggling Automix between On and Off fixed it for an hour or so. Over the past day or two, it seems to be working now. This is only my playlist.

I've tested my liked songs today and the issue still persists. Automix does not impact it, nor does clearing cache or anything. I even tried deleting all my liked songs and re-liking them and no solution.

Plan

Premium Family

Country

USA

Device

Google Pixel 6 Pro & Google Pixel 6

Operating System

Android 13

My Question or Issue

Hi, this has been going on for a month or two with mine and my husbands Spotify app. Let me start by saying when we listen we usually don't make a queue we just select a playlist and hit shuffle. However, if I manually select another song to play (as in not "add to queue" but just selecting another song), at the end of the song I manually chose, the queue will return me to whatever song we started listening to at the beginning of our listening session. I tried this on my daughters phone and she doesn't have the same issues that me and my husband do. Her randomized queue will reshuffle if another song is chosen from her playlist manually. 

I've cleared my cache and uninstalled and reinstalled my Spotify app but this is still happening and it's annoying. 

Attached below are two screenshots, one with the random queue starting with Lit playing at the top and then the next one showing a song I selected - Franny by Magic City Hippies and the queue repopulating all over again underneath it. 

Thank you for your help

Screenshot_20231006-181550.png
Screenshot_20231006-181559.png

Hey @fredjw97,

Thank you for keeping in contact.

In order to keep looking into this further with the relevant team, and in case you haven't sent it yet; let us know the following info:

- Make model and OS version of your device

- Exact Spotify version

We appreciate your cooperation. 

We'll be on the lookout.

OscarDCModerator

Bring Back Playlist Radio for Better Discovery

I've been on Spotify for a long time and always loved the Playlist Radio feature, especially when digging into playlists made by other people. It was an easy and fun way to find new music. But now that Playlist Radio, "Enhance," and "Smart Shuffle" are gone from others' playlists, finding new tunes on Spotify has become a drag.

Playlist Radio was simple - it took a playlist and made a radio station from it, mixing familiar songs with new ones. Now that it’s gone, and with "Enhance" and "Smart Shuffle" not available on other people's playlists, the music discovery on Spotify feels stuck. It’s frustrating, especially when other services like YouTube Music still have these kinds of features, keeping the music fresh and exciting.

The point isn't about being against change, but keeping the good stuff. Playlist Radio was good stuff. It was easy to use and got the job done. The current setup on Spotify doesn’t cut it, especially when I’m trying to explore playlists that aren’t mine. It almost feels like the PMs at Spotify are trying to justify their roles by rolling out new features, but these changes don’t add value like Playlist Radio did.

I pay for Spotify Premium and used to think it was worth it when it had cool features like Playlist Radio. But with these changes, I, along with many others, am starting to consider whether it might be worth switching to a platform that prioritizes music discovery. The whole idea of Spotify was not just to listen to music but to discover new tunes, and that aspect feels like it's slipping away.

Every time I shuffle my liked songs, even on different days, I'm getting the same songs in the queue. This can't be intended behavior. Is it a bug or something in the settings I can fix?

Plan

Premium

Country

France

Device

Pixel 7a

Operating System

Android 13

My Question or Issue

Hi @writeous_babe,

Thanks for reaching out to the Community!

I wasn't able to reproduce this behavior on my end either. Could you please share a short screen recording so I can have a direct view of how things look on your end? If the file is too large and you aren't able to attach it here, you can instead upload it to a cloud service like Google Drive and share the link - just make sure the file is accessible by anyone with the link. Feel free to also mention the exact version of Spotify you're running.

If you haven't already, check if this issue occurs when Repeat is toggled on and try disabling it to see if that does the trick.

Cheers!

YordanModerator

Sure. I toggled repeat on and off but there wasn't any change. Here's a screen grab of it in action, I did not do it with the repeat on in the video. Persistent Queue 

Spotify version is 8.8.74.652 

Thanks for the assistance everyone! We've reported this behavior to our tech folks who'll look further into it. We'll keep you posted here as soon as we have any updates on the matter.

Cheers!

YordanModerator

The shuffle button does not work at all. When I play a playlist shuffled it does play shuffled  but when I try to shuffle it again it dosent work. I tried reinstalling and it's still not working. My friends don't have this issue. This dosent happen on my pc. I have attached a video. Thank you 

Plan

Premium

Country

Canada 

Device

Samsung s21fe

Operating System

Android 

My Question or Issue

Hey @Meems1,

Thanks for reaching out and for uploading a video 🙌🏼

Unless we're not seeing something here though, both Shuffle and Smart Shuffle seem to be working correctly on your end.
Could you please let us know what your concern is? We'll do our best to help 🙂

Much appreciated!

VasilModerator

Hi, thank you for the reply. The issue is that its not consistent. the shuffle works the first few times, then it stops altogether, and nothing happens when I press it. You can see it in the video after it smart shuffles. It's worse when I have no wifi.

Hey @Meems1,

Thanks for getting back to us. 

Can you let us know if you've already tried to log out > restart your device > log back in? We'd recommend that you do that two times in a row. It sounds a bit odd, but it forces a sync between the account and your device.

If you still experience this, it might be caused by an issue with your device's cache. Not to worry, performing a clean reinstall of the app on the affected device should help you solve this. It'll also get you the latest app version with all necessary updates and fixes and will remove any corrupted files from previous installations.

Hope this helps. If anything else comes up, the Community will be here for you 🙂

LyubkaModerator

Hi sflr, smart shuffle works for me now the songs are back to being random!

Suggested posts