Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify crashes when adding/removing tracks from playlist

Solved!

Spotify crashes when adding/removing tracks from playlist

So I'm listening to a Radio, a song comes up that I want to add to a playlist, I click on teh album art and select add to playlist select the playlist then BAM music stops, dissapears. I'm rocking a W7 with plenty of memory (8core) NO reason for it to crash.

Also went to play Que to add the song Still crashes

If you can help it would be appreciated cause I'm getting angry.

[Edit - Title for clarity - Mod]

601 Replies

A few pages back, someone from Spotify said they hoped to have a fix out by next week. Then again, if you go even further back, someone said they hoped to have a fix out this week, so... yeah.

I still don't understand why they haven't rolled us back to a previous stable version, while they work on this, because that would be the sensible thing to do.

Over the past week I exchanged email with Spotify on this subject.  Today (9/22) I received an emai informing me that the problem had been fixed with the instruction to uninstall the program and then download and reinstall it.  I did this.  When the now reinstalled program opened there was a banner telling me that a new version was available and that if I closed the the program the new version would autoinstall.  I did this.   Well what do you know.  The program now seems to be working properly.  I've done lots of deleting and a bit of adding and am crash free.  For the life of me I can't understand why Spotify doesn't announce this here. 

Thanks for posting this. I just did this and though it didn't prompt me to upgrade (it downloaded the latest version off the web site automatically), the problem so far seems to be fixed. Will post again if that changes.

Noticed a similar crashing pattern today. The application crashes from time to time when I'm trying to add a new song to a playlist buy dragging and dropping. It specifically crashes the moment I let go of the track on a playlist.

I don't seem to have the option to upgrade to the newest client that has supposedly fixed this issue. Considering the circumstances, couldn't you, you know, roll out an update just a little bit faster? It's practically impossible to listen for more than 10 minutes without crashing. 

Marked as solution

I don't need a solution anymore. I went back to version 0.8.3.x and I forgot how much better for me the smaller font was and how much less of a memory hog the older versions were.

Thanks for nothing, keep the change.

I uninstalled and reinstalled about three times now. It still crashes on me. I hope this problem gets fixed soon.

Information:
Windows 7

Version 0.9.1.57.ge7405149

Spotify Premium user

The add-track crash happens for me, but not just on offline playlists.  Second try after rebooting the app seems to work for any given artist, but as soon as I try for a new artist, bam, it happens again. 

I am also occasionally (but less often) having an issue where I can't actually select a track.  I can double-click to play, but it won't actually select or drag/drop anything.  Rebooting the app also fixed this.  Not sure if that's related or not. 

Windows 8 Pro x64

C2D E8500, 6GB

Spotify 0.9.1.57.ge7405149

It appears to be fixed since late last night (9/21)... The new version is 0.9.4.169.gc0399df6

On one computer I uninstalled and reinstalled... it was the old version... then it stated there was an update and I need to restart.

I did and got the update.

On onther computer of mine (laptop) Win 7, x64 I had the old version... I did not reinstall but it stated there was a new version and I need to restart. I did and it is also at the latest version.

I have not had it close on me yet while adding to playlists...

Dan

I uninstalled and reinstalled today and have yet to be prompted to upgrade to 0.9.4.169.gc0399df6. Anyone know how to roll back to 0.8.xx?
Marked as solution

The new update still hasn't been rolled out to me, and I'm just at my wit's end with the crashing. For anyone else in the same position, here is how you can roll back your client to a previous version and temporarily disable automatic updates:

Windows Instructions

http://www.filehorse.com/download-spotify/old-versions/

• Download <0.9.0.153 (I'm running 0.9.0.129)
  • Uninstall current Spotify version (via Add/Remove programs)
  • Install the old client that you downloaded.
  • Enjoy the lack of crash

-Optional-

• Go to C:/Users/<Name>/Appdata/Roaming/Spotify
  • Make a new empy text file
  • Name it Spotify_new.exe
  • Right click the file and make the file read only
  • Make a new empty text file
  • Name it Spotify_new.exe.sig
  • Right click the file and make the file read only

Mac OSX Instructions

http://mac.filehorse.com/download-spotify/old-versions/

• Download <0.9.0.153 (I'm running 0.9.0.129)
  • Uninstall current Spotify version
  • Install the old client that you downloaded
  • Enjoy the lack of crash

-Optional-

• Go to your ~/Library folder
  • Go to Application Support/Spotify
  • Delete Spotify_new.archive and Spotify_new.archive.sig (if they are there)
  • Now open your favorite text editor, I used TextWrangler
  • Make two blank documents and save them as "Spotify_new.archive" and "Spotify_new.archive.sig"
  • Right click each file and go to "Get Info"
  • Check the "Locked" button on each and close the info window

All you have to do to reenable automatic updates is just delete the files created during the optional step and it'll work fine. Also, I had to roll back at least two versions on my client because the previous version (0.9.0.153) was giving me playlist crash issues as well for some reason. You can roll back to anything you like, however.

**this information was obtained via the community forums but I don't remember who posted it. No credit goes to me!

I have the same issue that you just described on both of my laptops (Windows Vista and Windows 7)

I have this same issue!! it's not a drastic problem but it is VERY annoying! when is this beeing fixed?? I will contact spotify support.

Del.

Marked as solution

Hey everyone. We're sorry about any inconvenience this is causing. Our plan is to make the new version of the desktop app available on our site for download, as soon as possible. While we're rolling the app out soon, we want to make it available even if the rollout hasn't reached you yet since we believe the new version fixes the problem. We'll update you as soon as we've update our site. 

This is SO annoying! It's only gotten worse! It crashes almost every time I delete a song now. FIX THIS NOW OR YOU GET NO MORE OF MY MONEY!! Fed up.

Thanks for being on top of this. I know you guys are doing your best to fix it, and in the whole time I've used Spotify, this is the only problem I've ever faced. Keep up the good work. 

I wouldn't call taking weeks to fix a simple issue being "on top of it." 😕

Spoiler

Thanks for this. Understandable that bugs take time to fix, and has been fixed surprisingly quickly Kudos to spotify people!

I got the same issue. I got no idea how to fix it, please fix this for us.

Marked as solution

Hey guys 🙂 

Just noticed the updated client has just hit the download pages which should stop this crashing issue. 

If you have not yet received the auto-update, or you are still getting crashing after updating please follow the steps below to update:

Windows:

1. Click File > Exit Spotify.

2. Right click on the taskbar, select "Start Task Manager", navigate to the Processes Tab, sort by name and make sure SpotifyWebHelper.exe is not running. If it is, select it in the list and press "End Process".

3. Click Start and select Control Panel.
4. Click Programs and then Programs and Features.
5. Select Spotify in the list and click Uninstall.
6. Go to http://download.spotify.com/Spotify%20Installer.exe and reinstall Spotify.

Mac:

1. Click Spotify > Quit Spotify.
2. Open Finder, then click Go in the top menus > Library (hold alt if Library isn’t visible).
3. Open Caches and delete the folder com.spotify.Client.
4. Click the back arrow.
5. Open Application Support and delete the folder Spotify.
6. Go to http://download.spotify.com/Spotify.dmg and reinstall Spotify.

Linux clients will have to wait for it to be released (if its going to be since they don't do every release) by the linux team. 

Version at time of writing is 0.9.4.169.gc0399df6

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Suggested posts