Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Can't reorder songs in a playlist on iPone

Solved!

Can't reorder songs in a playlist on iPone

Upgraded to spotify 0.5.9.10, and I am paying for premium.

I can no longer change the order of songs in a playlist?? Why not? I used to be able to do this by touching the edit function then touching and holding to the right of the track and dragging up or down.

Is there another way to do it in the new version? Why on earth would you change this??

Also is there any way to change the order of playlists on the main home playlist screen? Mine seam to only be able to be ordered based on when they are created, this is somewhat limiting.

I only use mobile, on an iPhone 4s. No desktop.

Any help appreciated.

Cheers.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

This feature has been temporarily removed. It will be coming back in a future iOS release.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

FULL explanation from iOS dev here:

http://community.spotify.com/t5/Mobile-iOS-iPhone-iPad-iPod/Song-ORDER/m-p/196800#M9474

"We decided to remove the feature temporarily so we didn't have to delay releasing 0.5.9, because there were a lot of crashes while editing a playlist, tracks not ending up where they should etc. We will introduce the feature again in an upcoming release as soon as possible.

The feature is still in the iPad client though, so I suggest either using that or the desktop client :)"

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

Yep. Moving back to iTunes - Rdio or other may fill the void In time. Spotify contract terminated. Users need basic functionality and a respectable level of customer service from Spotify. Both are missing I'm afraid.

Clearly Spotify considers us just numbers now, not customers. They simply don't listen. Too big to fail attitude....

Real pity. Dev team clearly suck. Management team appear to be AWOL. Maybe they are in trouble?

Marked as solution

Last week I talked with the Spotify iOS devs and this should be coming in the next iOS update. If not in the next update, it will come in one shortly after.

Sorry for the wait.

MattSudaSpotify Star

Marked as solution

The new update out today now allows you to re-arrange tracks again! 

MattSudaSpotify Star

Marked as solution

@TH agree to disagree on that as my theory of listening to music is slightly different.. I'm more of a full album, single artist listener giving me the space, mood, time, feel, sense of atmosphere within the studio/at the concert etc. different strokes for...hence my "controversial" remark.. I'm different in the way my music is wired to me... I personally wouldn't care too much about the option to reorganizie songs within my playlists which just happen to be one album after another in order of release..: enough blah-ing around!

88 Replies

You can't reorder tracks if playlists if they've been sorted, by artist, for example. Is it possible that you've sorted the playlist? You can sort in the desktop by clicking on a column heading. I don't know how to sort/unsort on mobile device.

Hi, I moved this to the iOS section as it is about the iPhone app 🙂

I am afraid that I cannot answer your question however - I have never known a mobile app to the the ability to re-order playlists.

Elee- I can't have re ordered on a desktop because I have never ever used the desktop version, ever! Only ever used spotify on my iPhone.

The trigger to my problem was upgrading my iPhone spotify application.

LiamW- thanks for moving to the appropriate section. The last version I had of spotify on h iPhone I was able to move tracks up and down freely within a playlist... Without a shadow of a doubt I was able to do this, it was perfect for on the fly changes when playing a playlist and queing up songs.

I have no idea why spotify would remove this functionality. It's actually such a problem for me that if I can't find a way to do it, I will be ceasing to use spotify if it can't be solved!

Thanks for your help so far Liam and Elee.

You should consider yourself lucky you had it at all! Android has never had it 😞

I will escalate this to staff for you, to try and find out 🙂
Marked as solution

This feature has been temporarily removed. It will be coming back in a future iOS release.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

FULL explanation from iOS dev here:

http://community.spotify.com/t5/Mobile-iOS-iPhone-iPad-iPod/Song-ORDER/m-p/196800#M9474

"We decided to remove the feature temporarily so we didn't have to delay releasing 0.5.9, because there were a lot of crashes while editing a playlist, tracks not ending up where they should etc. We will introduce the feature again in an upcoming release as soon as possible.

The feature is still in the iPad client though, so I suggest either using that or the desktop client :)"

MattSudaSpotify Star

Thanks but that is a pathetic explanation from spotify and will make me and many others weary of upgrading our spotify app in the future. This a feature I used all the time, and contrary to what's mentioned above other apps like Apple's music/iTunes app does let you sort the songs in your playlist on the go.

I wish I could undo the cursed update *sigh*

I am also very disappointed by this. I would rather have a delayed release than one that breaks existing functionality. The mobile client is the primary one I use and now the playlists are essentially worthless on it. If this doesn't get a pronto fix I will discontinue the premium service before year's end. No more steps backward, please.

TogaBalci, completely agree, wish I could roll back to the previous version. I experienced none of the crashing or playlist errors mentioned to justify it's removal.

Mattjsrules, or anyone, can we get an idea on timeframe for a next release please? And will it reintroduce this functionality?

Otherwise, see ya spotify.

Yeah, I totally agree with the above! We will be expecting the update solving this in the next few days then! We are bond by a subscription, it is not acceptable that we get less functionality by updating without any previous notice!!! Shape up, Spotify!

Unacceptable.

I must add my voice to this. I find it hard to believe that a key feature and one if significant value to your users, would be sacrificed to meet an internal release date. That us not development, that is just activity. Please remedy quickly as this renders the iPhone app useless. We must have the ability to reorder tracks within playlists. Thanks.

"Of"

"Is". Typos, sorry.

What I'm ever more annoyed about is that this thread has been marked as 'solved' which is complete rubbish, plus, why haven't we been given a timeframe for the next update?

Surely you have a release timeline? Or did that go down the gurgler at the same time functionality dumps where deemed appropriate??

We are a paying user base, and deserve better than this.

Unacceptable. I'm using only mobile (and pay for Premium) and Spotify just cancels the most important playlist function without any notice to users. Is this what you call UPGRADE? Deeply disappointed. If this function doesn't come back very soon Spotify is useless for my purpose and I will cease to be you client. 

Has there been any other reply from spotify on this?

I also pay for the premium membership and am considering canceling my membership due to this problem.  

This is not a solution and the problem has clearly not been solved.

The amount of time it has taken to resolve this simple problem is absolutely unacceptable. I used this function daily prior to its removal.

New Update Spotify 0.5.10 for iPhone now available!  Just downloaded it and the sorting feature is still missing!

Come on!  How difficult is it to put back a feature we all once had??

This is a slap in the face from Spotify basically refusing to care about the community.

Spotify moderators, please give us a long overdue update on where we stand?

Suggested posts