Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Being Bombarded By Spam Bot in My Messages Inbox

Being Bombarded By Spam Bot in My Messages Inbox

For the past several weeks, I've been bombarded by some spambot that sends me their playlist. It's always the same playlist ("New Playlist 5"), but it's a different user every time.  The usernames are always a string of pseudo-random characters (e.g."owebrilinninparinoweo", also see attached screenshot), but it's a game of whack-a-mole for me.  I can block each individual user, but it doesn't stop the influx of spam.

Please help me stop this.

PS - Feature request: much better inbox management tools are needed.  Bulk select, bulk delete, mark as read, etc.

Pasted_Image_7_10_15__7_45_AM.png
40 Replies

I get random spam messages from people I do not know. They advertise their playlists.

Example:

mbgrinbriminrson
"Club Surfers"

mbninresbinillie

"Club Surfers"

How can i turn off to get messages from people I do not know? It is quite annoying as it sets a notification number on the open task in the task bar which is irritating.

I found the "block user" functionality, but it is not really helping as the spam is always from newly created accounts.

Hey @Anec

I've passed your feedback on to Spotify.

There is currently no way to turn off messages from unkown people right now. 

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Thank you. Sadly they won't stop 😞

Same problem here.

Also, being able to only accept messages from Spotify friends, Facebook friends etc. would help.

Or as these are likely free accounts, limit sending messages from free accounts to friends only.

Or limit the rate at which messages can be sent, for all or again for free accounts.

Plenty of options 🙂

I also have this problem and it's really annoying! First I kept spammed just one album my I-don't-remember-who but now it's full playlists. Have probably gotten six of these in like the past three weeks and the only thing I can do to those is to block the clearly randomly generated usernames 😞 Attached a picture of the latest spam.

Example

Hey guys!

Sorry you have such problems.

I escalated your problem to staff. They will reply you as soon as possible.

If my post helped you to fix your problem, please press "Accept as Solution" button.

I'm having that same problem as well. It's becoming really annoying to block every single user that sends spam messages.

I too am suffering from this ridiculous spam. I've had to block multiple users just today! Is there any way to block messages from those who are not friends??

This is happening to me too, it's very annoying.

Ok guys, this is happening way too often now. I've got 4 spam messages in the last 24 hours.

Here are the account names etc.

1.png
2.png
3.png

Also received four spam messages in the last 24 hours, all sharing the exact same playlist.

Please put a filter on it or ban the user

Same problem here. This has to stop.

Hey guys, 

Thanks for your reports.

Just to let you know, we're currently looking into this and we'll keep you updated.

Thanks.

I am receiving spam messages regarding 'new playlist 5 by mbingrconnect'

Messages are coming from the following spambots:

ndfoweunrfnite

owebinerosinles

nfgrfrcowepll

erbreuniincchetti

inbbyunordon

Please do something Spotify. It's clearly Jay Zed trying to hustle y'all. Pop a cap at the very least.

Thanks for the followup Adam.

Just adding my voice: 

4 messages over the past week (3 in the last 48 hours)

all from different users (clearly spambots)

all linking to the same playlist by user 'mbingrconnect' (https://open.spotify.com/user/mbingrconnect)

Every few days my inbox is blown up by new playlists from people I don't know. 

I'll have 5 new messages in my inbox, and they're all (crappy) playlists from users with bogus names (random strings like LOS7729JDH).

I block these people, but its getting old.

How are they even able to share their stuff with me?  I'm not connected to them on Spotify or Facebook.

Me too.  Wouldn't be so bad if the playlist didn't suck.

Having the same problem. I've noticed that all these fake playlist have in common one artist, "Roman Olegov", which sometimes appears as "R.O.". Maybe this 'artist' is using the Spotify API to create fake users, that create fake lists with his music.

So happy Spotify is already taking this seriously! It gets really annoying to get these notifications on the phone! and I cant ecen block from the phone? I just hope things aint moving at glacial speeds 😉

Suggested posts