Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs

Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.

Loading article...

Loading faqs...

Ongoing Issues

Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.

Loading issue...

Loading ongoing issues...

Being charged VAT, not based in EU

Solved!

Being charged VAT, not based in EU

Hi Spotify, I was just wondering if there is any way you can automatically deduct the VAT from the £9.99 payments every month as I live in the Channel Islands.

Thanks

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hi @Brtt and welcome to the community!

They're British Crown Dependencies right? Hmm, my geography and other stuff isn't very good at all, but aren't citizens EU citizens?

Anyhow, if VAT shouldn't be charged (although there's probably some law saying you should be?), then you should contact the payments team using the Support Form - they will refund you if you have been overcharged in error 🙂

Liam

View solution in original post

7 Replies
Marked as solution

Hi @Brtt and welcome to the community!

They're British Crown Dependencies right? Hmm, my geography and other stuff isn't very good at all, but aren't citizens EU citizens?

Anyhow, if VAT shouldn't be charged (although there's probably some law saying you should be?), then you should contact the payments team using the Support Form - they will refund you if you have been overcharged in error 🙂

Liam

Yes we are part of Britian, however we set our own laws and taxes and therefore are allowed to steer free of VAT 😉

Thanks for your help, I'll contact them now 🙂

It depends though, since you are technically purchasing Spotify from Spotify UK would you not have to pay VAT since you are purchasing it in the UK not on the Channel Islands?

My thinking being, if I buy something from Ireland, I still have to pay their VAT on products.

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

I see what you mean, but no.

Whenever I buy something from a website such as Amazon or any other online retailer the VAT is automatically deducted from the price.

I have done as Liam said and submitted a ticket for my query however I still haven't heard back and it's been 3 working days now.

How long does it usually take for them to get back to you?

Normally within 24 hours, although if you got an automated email reply pointing you back to the community you need to reply to that to push your case over to an adviser.

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Ah okay, I wasn't aware of that considering most automated emails you shouldn't reply to.

Thanks for your help!

@Brtt how did it go?

I'm curious 🙂

Liam

Suggested posts