Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Can't disable videos and no plans to let us. Does Spotify want us to get into a car accident>

Can't disable videos and no plans to let us. Does Spotify want us to get into a car accident>

The app plays videos while driving and they have said they have no plan to let us disable it -- https://community.spotify.com/t5/Live-Ideas/Music-Option-to-disable-Videos-in-curated-Playlists/idi-....

Are they saying you want us driving distracted so we get into an accident?! It is very distracting and dangerous. And what about users with limited data plans?

I also tweeted to them in the hopes this gets some publicity cause it's rather dangerous on their part.

https://twitter.com/imthenachoman/status/1129156370039791616

12 Replies

If your car has any sort of Bluetooth connection, try experimenting with the different forms of car view, it's more limited to prevent distracted driving! 🙂

I do use Bluetooth and car view comes up but only sometimes. I don't know why. Sometimes it shows car view and sometimes it shows the normal view. I wish there was a way to manually start car view since the system can't seem to figure out when to automatically show it.

Hey there @IMTheNachoMan,

Thanks for posting and welcome to the Community!

Just to confirm, are you referring to the moving visuals you see on some tracks while you're in the Now Playing view?

If so, keep in mind that these are short and looping, so use very little data. After they’ve looped once, they don’t need additional data to keep playing. They also don’t run when they’re not on the screen, so you don’t need to worry about your data when the app is minimized.

If you’re still concerned about how much data Canvas uses, you can switch it off: 

1. Tap Home in the menu at the bottom of the screen. 
  2. Tap Settings. 
  3. Switch Canvas (under Playback) off.

Hope this helps clarify things! However, don't hesitate to give us a shout if there's anything else you'd like help with.

Have a lovely day 🙂

KaterinaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself! 

Hello Katerina.

There is no Canvas option in my settings under Playback.

And no, I am not talking about the moving visuals. I am talking about full screen music videos when I am driving and have car view enabled. I leave the screen on so I can quickly heart songs with the big buttons in car view. But for some songs I get full screen videos instead of the car view.

Hey @IMTheNachoMan.

Thanks for getting back to us.

You should be able to 'heart' songs from the lock screen - that way you'll avoid having to watch the videos when they come up.

In any case, we encourage you to make yourself heard and to vote for the idea that @Katerina mentioned above.

Hope that helps! Let us know if you have any other questions about this.

I need the phone unlocked cause I jump between Spotify and Google Maps for navigation. 

Hey @IMTheNachoMan.

Thanks for getting back to us.

In that case, you can keep Google Maps open, but you can swipe down to see the Spotify mini player where you can also tap the 'heart' button.

Let us know if that works for you!

There are no heart buttons when you swipe down.

Thanks for getting back in touch!

Just to confirm, have you connected Spotify to the Google Maps app? 

If not, we'd recommend following the steps provided in this support site article first. 

Once Spotify and Google Maps are connected, you’ll be able to find music controls at the bottom of your navigation map. You can then tap the Spotify logo to browse more playing options. 

Keep us posted!

KaterinaModerator

Yes, I have connected Spotify with Google Maps. I can't heart a song from within Google Maps so I have to press the button to go to Spotify.

And now we're back to what I said in the original post that it will sometimes play videos even though I am in car view.

Let me recap:

1. Google Maps is linked to Spotify
  2. Car view is enabled
  3. I am driving and using Google Maps to navigate; Spotify is playing music
  4. I want to heart a song
  5. I jump back to Spotify
  6. There is a full screen video playing

Is there anyway to disable the videos entirly or is Spotify trying to distract me from driving and make me get into an accident?

Thanks for getting back in touch and providing this info!

It'd be helpful if you could clarify if the videos you see are ads or video content on playlists, for example like on "Rap Caviar".

Keep in mind that if it's the latter unfortunately,  at this time, they cannot be completely disabled. We'd recommend making sure to add your +VOTE and feedback in the idea you've mentioned originally in that case.

On another note, if you believe that having the option to like or heart songs directly when using the Google Maps integration, we'd suggest heading in our Ideas Exchange and posting about it here

You can also find more info regarding how your feedback reaches Spotify here

Hope this helps further clarify things 🙂

KaterinaModerator

They are not ads. They are full videos.

I don't know what Rap Caviar is. 

I don't have time to mess with this more. I've cancelled my service/subscription for now and will try it again later after they've added a way to disable videos regardless of how I play a song.

Fingers crossed. Thank you!

Suggested posts