Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Cannot Create Device Password

Solved!

Cannot Create Device Password

So I'm going through the process of trying to log in to spotify on my new android phone.

I can lot in with spotify, but am permanently 'offline', and evidently need to sign in with my device password.

I go through the process of requesting a device password through my account online. I click on the link in the email sent to me, enter my password once, confirm my password, then click on "Set Device Password". Two seconds later I get told "There was a problem setting your password". 

I've tried this repeatedly, but there's no more detail as to what this "Problem" is...a little frustrating.

Anyone have a solution?

Top Answer
MaryS
Roadie

Updated March 18, 2017

Hello everyone,

The login credentials for your device should be your Spotify username/email address and password. If you created your account directly with Facebook and your device doesn’t accept your Facebook credentials to log in, you’ll need to set a device password and log in with that.

This is possible to do within Facebook:

1. Head to Facebook Settings.
  2. Select Security.
  3. Select App Passwords
  4. Click Generate App Password
  5. Enter Spotify, and Facebook will automatically generate a password for you. You can use this with your Facebook ID (not email address) to log in to Spotify on any device. 

Alternatively, if you’re unable to log in on a particular device, you can connect to it from another device using Spotify Connect.

I hope this helps get you back to your favorite tunes! Let me know if you have any other questions 🙂

76 Replies
Marked as solution

Hi All,

It appears that even though you are getting an error message the password is actually being set.

So set the password, get the error message (There was a problem setting your password), ignore it and then log in using the device ID and password.

Worked for me..... I'm into all my devices and Facebook has stayed deactivated! hooray.

Cheers,

Brett

EXCELLENT. Works for me too. Would be nice if Spotify could just get rid of that false error message... Time to delete my Facebook account!

Unfortunately not for me!

It is working ! The device password was indeed actually being set just had to wait for some minutes, eventhough still the error message on the account page of spotify.com. Furthermore, i had to sign in directly on my Onkyo receiver instead using the Onkyo Remote app apparently. Which is fault of Onkyo.

this needs to be fixed... im still getting the same error

Thanks. This works for me too

Wow... I've been trying to get this to work for MONTHS! And not until seeing your comment did I actually just try to log in with the password that it said erred out. Thank you!!

Thanks, wouldn't ever think of that. And it worked!

Thanks worked

WORD!

What? You just put in password? I'm trying to get an account on my Roku box
Marked as solution

Updated March 18, 2017

Hello everyone,

The login credentials for your device should be your Spotify username/email address and password. If you created your account directly with Facebook and your device doesn’t accept your Facebook credentials to log in, you’ll need to set a device password and log in with that.

This is possible to do within Facebook:

1. Head to Facebook Settings.
  2. Select Security.
  3. Select App Passwords
  4. Click Generate App Password
  5. Enter Spotify, and Facebook will automatically generate a password for you. You can use this with your Facebook ID (not email address) to log in to Spotify on any device. 

Alternatively, if you’re unable to log in on a particular device, you can connect to it from another device using Spotify Connect.

I hope this helps get you back to your favorite tunes! Let me know if you have any other questions 🙂

Unfortunately this solution is not viable for my problem. I am using a Marantz preamp AV 7701 and I have tried your solution repeatedly, to no effect I noticed in your solution that your Facebook logon has been disconnected. I did not disconnect my Facebook, in fact Facebook seems to have a section in its security settings to a allow a password to be set for the use of spotify with other devices other than my PC. I also tried using this solution to no effect. Could it be that spotify accounts using Facebook logons cannot set passwords for other devices?

BINGO! Spotify up and running. think that the facebook e-mail as id is the key in this situation.

After much frustration this worked for me too. I used the Spotify 10 digit "device username" and then on the set password page I created a password, entered twice and got the "Cannot Create Device Password" error but then entered on my device and it worked. My device was an Integra DTR-30.3 if that helps anyone. Spotify you really need to fix this issue and also have a help line!

Thank you for your help!

waw, great, thanks for this, ihope dev team will fix this. thumbs up!

hopefully it'll work for me too,

LonghaiR

It should work but after using it the interface is very poor compared to the Spotify app. You can't flick up / down, can't save favourites, can't change playlists, hard to search etc. I do all that on the pc or iPhone app and just use the Integra app for playing playlists. However a seems to be a bit more stable than playing Spotify via Apple TV too. Hope this helps.

well It didn't work for me, but finally got it going. After several hours finally was able to sign in to my fone app via facebook..

LonghaiR

Suggested posts