Step 1

NEXT STEP

Cannot login , error : desktop_login_account:5

Solved!

Cannot login , error : desktop_login_account:5

Premium
Romania
Windows 11 Pro
I've had spotify and this laptop for 2 years now, used it every day.
Today, the spotify app won't let me login, it works on my smartphone, it works on the web player, it doesn't on the app.
My account is linked to my Facebook account, and that's my primary means of logging in.

Things I tried:

Using a different internet connection
Re-installing the app many times
I reactivated firewall and check the settings
The hosts file doesn't contain anything related to spotify
Rebooting the PC
Disabling the proxy in the app settings

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hello again , i did it . I puted an e-mail and a password and then tried to connect with that info and it worked . But i keeped the FB login.
So first i maked another account to try and see if it would let me in the app , and it did . On my main i puted an password and e-mail and it worked.

View solution in original post

image.png
14 Replies

Hey @Cristi_listener69!

You can try deleting the prefs file, which holds data about the accounts you've logged in to on your PC. Here's how:

1. Fully close the Spotify app (make sure it's not running in the Task Manager) and go to C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Roaming\Spotify\.
  2. There you'll find a file called prefs. Simply delete it.
  3. While in the Spotify folder, you'll also find a Users folder. Open it and delete its contents as well.
  4. Restart the Spotify app.

Note that your settings will be reset, so you'll have to adjust them again. If you had music downloaded for offline listening, you'll have to re-download it as well. Your library, however, will not be affected, so no worries there.

Let us know how it goes.

YordanModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

When i entered into the spotify file there was no user folder , but i did find the prefs file i deleted it and when i tried to login it said the same error , reinstalled the app again and deleted the prefs file again and the same.

image.png

Hi , i open'd debug log and i seen this :
ERROR:registration_protocol_win.cc(106)] CreateFile: The system cannot find the file specified. (0x2)

image.png

Hey @Cristi_listener69,

Thanks for keeping us in the loop here.

We found another thread here, where a user reports that they found a solution to a similar login situation. Check out the solution proposed by the user there to see if it will work for you as well.

Hope this does the trick for you, reach out if you need more help!

Kiril Moderator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.

Hi , thanks for reaching out to me but i looked there and its the same , i found the problem causing this:
"ERROR:registration_protocol_win.cc(106)] CreateFile: The system cannot find the file specified. (0x2)" as iit says the registation protocol is deleted automatically on install.

image.png
image.png

Hey @Cristi_listener69,

Thanks for keeping us posted!
Have you tried running the app (preferably, if possible, as an administrator) in Compatibility Mode with Windows 10?
I'm interested to see if this would make a difference.

There are also two different versions of the Spotify desktop app for Windows - one can be downloaded from the Spotify website and the other is optimized for Windows and can be downloaded from the Microsoft App Store. We'd advise testing if the issue persists with both (as well as with Compatibility for Win 10 switched on for both versions).

Let us know how it goes!
We'll be on the lookout for your response.

Cheers!

VasilModerator

Hi , i installed it from microsoft store , same , as an administrator , same , and i dont know how to run the compatibility mode. Thanks!

Marked as solution

Hello again , i did it . I puted an e-mail and a password and then tried to connect with that info and it worked . But i keeped the FB login.
So first i maked another account to try and see if it would let me in the app , and it did . On my main i puted an password and e-mail and it worked.

image.png

Hey @Cristi_listener69,

Thanks for letting us know what worked for you 🙂

Glad to hear that you can log in again.

Don't hesitate to reach out again if you need help with anything.

AlexModerator

Hi , thanks , if there is another problem i will ask!

No fixes I found online worked, except for instead of using Facebook authentication, ensure I am using my email.  That works.

Hi,

I have been using spotify since very long, i have linked my spotify with facebook

Now while logging into it shows "error code: desktop_login_accounts:5"

THING I HAVE ALREADY TRIED:

• I have reinstalled it plenty of times
  • Tried disabling firewall
  • Uninstalled from mobile and pc, and installed again
  • Rebooted my pc 
  • Disabling proxy in the app's setting

(P.S: there's no change in imternet connection, i have been using spotify with the same connection through LAN)

Please help as it is very disturbing

error.PNG

Hey @Sufyanocyte_

Thank you for reaching out to the Community and welcome.

This type of issue could be caused by individual network setups. First, try it using a different WiFi network to see if it makes any difference. If you don’t have an additional network, we ’d recommend using a mobile data hotspot and connecting through it. 

In case the issue persists after disabling the firewall, we ’d suggest changing the proxy configuration to “Auto-Detect” in the Settings button under the login information.

Lastly, we understand you’ve already tried some troubleshooting steps including reinstalling a couple times. However, we’d like to suggest a clean reinstall as this is more thorough than a regular one and can be helpful in getting rid of any cache that might be causing trouble.

Hope this helps. Let us know if you have any additional questions, we’ll be on the lookout.

OscarDCModerator

I tried the same thing but still not able to sign in to it 

Suggested posts