Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Charged too early

Charged too early

Yesterday I checked my spotify account details to verify that I would be billed for premium on 03-20-2013, and after checking my balance today on 3-19-2013 I notice that Spotify has already taken $10 from me before I can even cancel my trial. In the past I have been able to cancel trials the day before, so why not now? This is extremely incovenient and displeasing. I was told I would be charged on MARCH 20TH, so that is when I expect to be charged. I find it unfair that I was charged before the date that was stated, and I would like a refund. I love spotify, but I will cease to use it if problems like these become commonplace. 

14 Replies

Same thing happened to me even though I had set an alarm on my phone to cancel the day before my trial ended on 3/20 but then I noticed an email of a receipt on the 19th. I find this unfair and very misleading

Had them charge me 2 days early. I contacted the support team 2 days ago to get the account canceled (forgot the login) and boom, still charged. 

I was charged 3 DAYS days early. I was supposed to be charged on 5/5/2013, but was charged on 5/2/2013. I wasn't even going to cancel necessarily, I was going to renew the account next month. 

I'm going to try to cancel the charge through my bank, because the general vibe from related posts seems to show that they don't do anything about these things. This is beyond dissapointing.

Seriously Spotify, I've had this service for almost a year, are you really going to pull this? 

Hi everyone! Welcome to the Spotify Community.

I'm really sorry to hear these kinds of issues you're experiencing but hopefully I can shed some light on them. Mind you, I do not work for Spotify so my statements may be incorrect.

While I understand that the website may say it will bill you one day, it may be necessary for the service to perform the transaction a few days before it's supposed to happen. This is so that you're experiencing the Spotify Premium/Unlimited service at optimal levels. This is actually common practice for some businesses to insure that there are no issues with your account. If they charge a few days earlier and there are issues with the card, they can get a hold of you before your Spotify Premium service is interrupted for good.

So truly, I do apologize you're experiencing these issues but please know that it isn't just to take your money. It's a sincere effort to make sure you don't experience service cut-off unexpectedly.

As for the trial, you know you have the capability of canceling your subscription the hour or day after you've verified your credit card details for the free trial? You can actually do this for most services days in advance before the trial actually expires.

I hope these pieces of information have enlighted you and I do hope some of you choose to stay and enjoy the awesome Spotify Premium subscription, :).

Spotify on!
Mikey

Spotify | Twitter

Did you like this post? Please add kudos below!
Did this post solve your issue? Accept it as a solution below!

As long as I get the refund, all will be well.

Let's get you started on that process then, :).

Head on over to the online contact form and fill out the necessary information. If you get an automatic reply, respond back and someone will get connected with your case. 

Best of luck!

Spotify on!
Mikey

Spotify | Twitter

Did you like this post? Please add kudos below!
Did this post solve your issue? Accept it as a solution below!

Seems like I was also charged before my free period was up. I had meant to cancel, and thought I had another month - so I was upset when I saw I was charged. I immediately cancelled and have already contacted the support team. I am unsure from their response if I will get a refund, but you can bet I will contact my bank and report fraud if I dont get a full refund. This is not okay!

Just wondering where you on the 30 day free trial or did you have the 3 for 1 offer @birdielap136 . There shouldn't be any need to contact your bank, if you aren't satisfied with the reply or the clarity of the message just reply back to it. 😉

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

You think that's bad? I'm being charged two weeks early!! I never told them to do this! I'm beyond mad right now.

@imedicine - Two weeks early makes it sound like you may actually have two subscriptions running. Are you being billed more than once every 30 days? 

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

I am extremely annoyed with this whole situation. I have been searching for the last 30 minutes for a customer service number to call for my problem and all I find are message boards and a contact form, which I find extremely unprofessional and inefficent. If I have a problem with my account I want to talk with a representative immediately, especially if it involves money. That being said, I signed up for the three month trial for free on August 18th, 2015 and plan on being charged after that starting on October 18th, 2015. HOWEVER, I have been recently charged $10.69 ALREADY on September 21st, 2015. I do not like being charged almost a WHOLE MONTH early. Please resolve this issue immediately and refund my money. 

This happened to me too.

I upgraded from regular premium to family premium & they tried to charge me 2 weeks early. The whole reason I had it set up for the 1st of every month is because that is when there is money in my account. So why are you charging me early? Also, who is going to refund the $30 in fee(s) that has been racked up from this company continuing to try to pull the money out EARLY.

You fools will get your money on the first as was stated when I first signed up for spotify over a year ago. Keep up this **bleep** and as much as I HATE it, I'll switch to Pandora.

the same thing happened to me, only mine was supposed to be 1/17/23 and i was charged 1/11/23

Suggested posts