Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Create Account with sensible username

Create Account with sensible username

First thing to note is I don’t use Facebook, so please don’t resort to “you must have created your account using your Facebook account”,  I’ve created several free accounts via the app, website and each time I type in a name the account username is a randomised nonsensical string. My wife’s account has her chosen name!! So the question is- how do I create an account with a username that is my chosen name? 

4 Replies

Try signing out of your facebook account through desktop spotify.

Lol, I hope that was meant to be funny!

Maybe my first sentence wasn’t clear enough! I don’t have a Facebook account.

Hey there @Squirrrrrrl,

Thanks for reaching out to the Community regarding this!

Usernames are currently automatically generated and they are usually a string of random numbers and letters, which would explain what you're seeing. 

You don't need to remember that username, you can simply log in using the email address your Spotify account is registered with and password. There's also info at this support site article.

Keep in mind that upon sign-up for a new account, you can enter a preferred name during sign up to display on your profile (there's a field that you can type this "What should we call you?"). This is how other Spotify users can search for you in the app. 

Note: It’s not possible to log in with the name displayed on your profile. 

Unfortunately, it's not currently possible to change your Spotify account's username or the display name that you've chosen when you created your account.

If you'd like to start afresh with a brand new Spotify account with your preferred displayed name, we'd suggest following the steps in this Spotify Answer.

Hope this helps clarify things! We'll be right here if you need more help.

Have a lovely day 🙂

KaterinaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself! 

Well it’s not quite true that people can find me with the preferred name I chose “Squirrrrrrl” as people have tied, they can find me with the unique ID nonsense name, but that’s just stupid to have to remember a string that long. 

Your advice on on starting a new account and the Spotify instructions led me to have a different nonsense account name. 

I dont one understand as my wife’s account has her ‘chosen name’ as her account name AND user name! I can search for her and find her using her chosen name.

Why did Spotify change it? Seems like to make it hard for users, especially the ones that don’t use Facebook. 🤬

Suggested posts