Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Error code 101?

Solved!

Error code 101?

So in the midddle of playing today my account first went offline and wouldn't come back on line. Then when I tried to fix it it wouldn't work. Then it went off completely and now when i try to log in it says that there is error code 101 and it's a problem with my firewall...thoughts? I don;t know how to fix this!

85 Replies

@Ekloo wrote:

I have the exact same thing, my Spotify isn't working for months now. I removed it from my firewall and followed all the instructions but I still can't open the program and it's a bit frustrating. If someone can help me solve this problem I would be very glad! 

Hey! Welcome to the community 🙂 

Can you try all of the steps in this help page including manually opening the ports in your router?

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

I just followed the Error 101 intstructions exactly, and it still says that my Firewall is blocking Spotify. I am currently logged in through the internet, so I know that it's not an account issue and that my internet connection remains the same. Are there any other ways of dealing with this problem?  Has anyone been successful yet? I ask these questions because I've noticed that the moderators in various threads have continued to promote the method listed on the Spotify website (remove from exceptions list, reinstall, add to exceptions list) and that I haven't been able to find someone who has fixed this him or herself.

@davidryanshultz wrote:

I just followed the Error 101 intstructions exactly, and it still says that my Firewall is blocking Spotify. I am currently logged in through the internet, so I know that it's not an account issue and that my internet connection remains the same. Are there any other ways of dealing with this problem?  Has anyone been successful yet? I ask these questions because I've noticed that the moderators in various threads have continued to promote the method listed on the Spotify website (remove from exceptions list, reinstall, add to exceptions list) and that I haven't been able to find someone who has fixed this him or herself.

Hey! Welcome to the community 🙂 

What operating system are you using? Also what security software are you using if any? 

Peter

Peter

ive tried this and still cant log in and now once again im back where i started with the no can download of spotify

@lindell wrote:

ive tried this and still cant log in and now once again im back where i started with the no can download of spotify

Just to check - are you able to download Spotify from the download page? If not, what error message is it you're seeing? Do you have admin privileges on the computer you're using?

--------------------------------------------------------------

For common support questions, see support.spotify.com.
To judge my musical taste, check out my last.fm.

had spotify for a year but now cant get on line reinstalled it but when i log in via facebook it says firewall or proxy settings what does this mean

Hey @djlarch 🙂 

Error code 101 is a connection based error which means the Spotify client was unable to communicate with the Spotify servers, normally it does mean your connection is being prevented by a firewall or other security software - but it can also be caused by other factors. 

Try following the steps here and here to see if they can get you up and running again. 

Peter

Peter

e kjem me ikke inn før det kjem opp error 101

Found the problem, at least i my case - forgot I was running Net Barrier; it had a speciific preference blocking Spotify. Disabled that, and all is well. Hope this helps spmeone out there -

Hi everyone

I have been trying to fic my spotify for a month or so. 

I Uninstalled, reinstalled clicked links from 'REX'.. basically followed every option that seemed available, was still at ERROR CODE 101

Then i randomly changed my password as a 'last resort, may aswell bloody try it ..' AND IT WORKS. 

Good Luck

I can not find my firewall anywhere!!!!! So how do i fix error 101 without it! Please help i want my spotify back!

gminter.

What operating system are you using @gminter ?

Peter

Thank you sooooooooo much!!! Have just recently renewed Norton and this was stopping me logging in.  You've saved me a lot of grief 🙂

Worked for me too! Horray! Thank you! 

Long story short - IT'S NORTON!  Or whoever else you may use.  Took me all day today to figure that out on my own (after I tried following the suggestions here).  What fixed it?  I went into Norton, clicked on settings, clicked on firewall, clicked on program rules, clicked on "add," and then added the Spotify Installer to my list of programs always allowed.  After that, I re-downloaded Spotify through the Spotify Setup (the setup program is automatically added to Windows when you attempt to download Spotify from the web) and Norton allowed everything through.  In fact, a number of Spotify execution filenames were automatically added by Norton to the list of Norton "allowables."

My Norton Internet Security did this to me.  Went to Settings-Network-Smart Firewall then click on configure next to Program Rules. Scrolled down to Spotify, saw that it was blocking the program, changed the setting to Allow and I was fine. Did not have to reinstall.

Thanks for sharing guys! Evil Norton!

Peter

Don't use Norton. It bad. The reason I left Norton because it started blocking things that were not virus. Use Malwarebytes is free for 30 days. Here's the link: https://www.malwarebytes.org/ But if doeen't work for yourself. You can listen on a iPod or iPhone or iPad or Mac.

Yep, this sorted everything for me! Cheers andygout

Hi, I'm getting Error code 101.. I changed the Windows Firewall settings and it's saying it's not blocking Spotify. Reinstallation is not possible.

I read some of the underneath advices, and I am interested in the link https://www.spotify.com/uk/download/previews/, so I can download Spotify again. However, I get an error code if I follow the first step?? Is the link maybe not up-to-date anymore, since it was posted in 2012?

Is there anyone who can help me?

Suggested posts