Premium

Country

USA

Device

iPhone X, Windows PC

Operating System

iOS 16 and Windows 10

My Question or Issue

I'm posting this here on behalf of a family member that is on my account. They are experiencing account and password issues. They went to log onto a new Windows PC and received the INCORRECT USERNAME OR PASSWORD error message. So upon using the reset password, they receive the reset email, tap on the link and proceed to change their password. They choose a new, the change is reflected then it proceeds into their account and address them by username, etc. (see attached). However when they go to login to the desktop client with the new password they still receive the INCORRECT USERNAME OR PASSWORD error message. They have tried twice and receive the same result. I should also note that when they receive the reset email, it does not say their proper user name and just gives them a bunch of dribble with numbers and letters.

This shouldn't be this difficult. Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciate because this is very, very frustrating. 

B.

IMG_0334 2.PNG
IMG_0333 2.PNG
6 Replies

Hey @DasPike,

Thanks for reaching out.

The name that is displayed on the support page is likely just their display name and not their actual username. They can check their account's username at https://www.spotify.com/account/profile/ 🙂

Let me know how it goes!

MaximSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

I mean.. that worked but then why is their actual username this convoluted string of characters? Because they certainly didn't choose that when the account was created. Screenshot below.

Screenshot 2024-01-31 at 11.40.25 PM.jpg

@Maxim Please advise.

Hey @DasPike,

Thanks for getting back.

Spotify has been automatically generating usernames since 2017 or 2018, hence the random letters and numbers.

You don’t need to remember this to log in, as it's only designed to identify you within Spotify. You can always access your account with your email address and password.

During signup, you were able to personalize your account by creating a display name that’s displayed in the app. There are no limitations to a display name, so you were able to choose any name you like.

Display names can be changed by following these steps.

I hope this clears things up 🙂

MaximSpotify Star

Not exactly because the login field states “email or username” but ok. 

Hey @DasPike,

You can, of course, use the username for logging in as well, but in most cases, it's easier to remember the email address associated with tbe Spotify account. 🙂

MaximSpotify Star

Suggested posts