Group sessions not shown in Desktop / Random activity on my account

Plan

Premium

Country
Netherlands

Operating System

Windows 10, Android 10

My Question or Issue
EDIT: I found the cause to be a left over group session, see my post below. This is still a major issue.

Starting this morning, random songs start playing while I'm listening to music. I can be listening to my own music for about 0-2 minutes, before it randomly switches to songs I never listened to before. The activity resembles human activity. It listens for a song for about 1-2 seconds then skips it, sometimes skips halfway to a song, or listens a few songs without skipping anything. 
When I opened Spotify this morning, an unknown device briefly showed up in Spotify Connect, but since then it has disappeared (also see further below).

This has not been happened a few times, it has been happening non-stop for about 6 hours now. My Spotify is completely unusable this way.

My first thought was that someone has unauthorized access to my account, so this morning I reset my password, logged out of all devices and removed all apps/integrations from my account. Spotify Connect does not show any other devices (except for the single device that briefly showed up this morning, but is gone since then). I am the only one with access to this account. However, this still did not fix the issue and random songs still start playing.

Another thought was that some application on my laptop was controlling Spotify. I made sure that this is not the case by exiting the Spotify application on Windows, and using my Android phone. However, the issue is also present there. This means the activity comes from the Spotify servers.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

3 Replies

I just found out that I was still in a group session from 2 days ago, the activity was coming from one of my friends. However, the group session was not shown in the Windows UI... This is a major design flaw.

I understand group sessions are not supported on Desktop yet, but it should not be possible that the group session influences your listening experience without any way to see it.

Hi there @HugoKerstens,

Thanks for reaching out to the Community and welcome!

We understand where you're coming from. Since it's not possible to simultaneously stream from from multiple devices at the same time with one account, if you're in a Group session on your phone, it'll have an impact on what you're listening to on the desktop app, and it doesn't show anything about this session since it isn't supported in the desktop app, as you mentioned.

However, we do appreciate you taking the time to share that feedback with us and we'll make sure to pass it on to the right teams.

If you have any questions or need a hand with anything else, we're always a post away.

Cheers.

CarlosEModerator

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

Well, when I try it by clicking the group session link on my phone and try to play it on desktop it skips the song or keeps repeating it. I bought premium individual and I am still facing this issue on my desktop. Feels like i just wasted my money if there isn't any fix for this.

Suggested posts