Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

How do I change my display name (not username)?

Solved!

How do I change my display name (not username)?

I recently signed up, and set my display name to my first name, not realizing this field would not be editable. I'd like to add my last name.

I understand that my username is unchangeable, and is a random string - that's fine. I'm just looking to edit my Display Name, which is shown to my friends on Spotify. Is there any way to do this?

I don't have a Facebook account, so connecting to Facebook to change my name isn't an option.

Thanks!

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

After chatting with Support I got an answer, so I'm answering my own question in case anyone else has the same question and finds this.

It is not possible to change a username or a display name at this time, which is pretty unfortunate. I understand the limitations on changing a username, but a non-unique display name should be editable. That being said, the support staff were super helpful and were able to copy all my information (including Premium status, playlists, etc.) over to a new account, where I was able to choose a new display name.

I think it should be made more obvious during sign up that the field is unchangeable - "What should we call you?" feels like field that can be edited. A note that it is permanant would be nice.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Marked as solution

After chatting with Support I got an answer, so I'm answering my own question in case anyone else has the same question and finds this.

It is not possible to change a username or a display name at this time, which is pretty unfortunate. I understand the limitations on changing a username, but a non-unique display name should be editable. That being said, the support staff were super helpful and were able to copy all my information (including Premium status, playlists, etc.) over to a new account, where I was able to choose a new display name.

I think it should be made more obvious during sign up that the field is unchangeable - "What should we call you?" feels like field that can be edited. A note that it is permanant would be nice.

There is no reason it should not be editable,..

But then again you can only change your profile picture from the desktop app, not via the Android / Apple or Web.

Even after 10 years, setting up an account is still a **bleep**!

Suggested posts