Announcements

How do I keep what is playing on different devices separate?

Re: How do I keep what is playing on different devices separate?

argolis
Casual Listener

Totally agree with many previous commenters. I listen to podcasts on my phone and music on my work laptop. I want to pick up each of them separately and it's pretty irritating to have to search back to a podcast episode on my phone to pick up where I left off.

The suggestion to create and maintain separate accounts is a lazy workaround. At least admit that it's not ideal and what you're suggesting is a workaround but don't pretend that having your users create and maintain multiple logins is the ideal solution.

Just implement a feature that allows people to keep their device activity linked or separated. That's it. Basta.

That doesn't mean people are trying to cheat Spotify out of revenue by sharing multiple devices. Spotify can still stop a user playing on two devices at once but allow users to keep what each device activity totally separate.

Jeremy

Hey there folks,

Thank you for your posts and feedback.

If you think your suggestion will appeal to other users you can always create an idea on the relevant idea board. We always take new ideas and feedback into consideration to improve the app.

You can read more about how your feedback reach Spotify here.

One again - thanks for the feedback, we appreciate it. Let us know if we can help with anything else. We're always one reply away.

JeremyModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

argolis
Casual Listener

For anyone that's willing to vote on this to show Spotify you really want this, here's the idea page where you can vote for it:

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Live-Ideas/Connect-Don-t-automatically-sync-what-I-am-playing-acros...

The idea has been sitting there since 2014!

BillTerri
Music Fan
Thanks so much for posting this link. With that, people who agree with what's posted here can go there to register a vote with at least a small expectation that Spotify will pay attention. However, as you said, it's been sitting there as an idea since 2014, and nothing has been done about it, so we shouldn't hold our breath for a solution.
How can Spotify justify this lack of responsiveness?

Cbc3
Casual Listener

Quick update, I no longer use this as a solution. Spotify stopped working for me in Android Auto and after attempting troubleshooting, I decided to cancel my subscription. I now use YouTube Music, which doesn't seem to share the problems we're discussing in this thread.

I miss the Spotify playlists a bit, but it doesn't matter if I can't actually use them in my car, which is where I listen to music most often. 

SUGGESTED POSTS