Announcements

How do I keep what is playing on different devices separate?

Re: How do I keep what is playing on different devices separate?

sohrabtabrizi
Visitor

To date, I don't see all devices on my offline devices on my account. Spotify is on 3 devices and I see only my iPhone. Now with this problem means that someone who has my account information can use my spotify without my knowledge. I don't really understand. That is absurd. In other words, take 1 premium account and all listen to music with the same account without problem, because now you can listen to each device separately. So I can never know that someone is using my Spotify. 

bullitt5177
Casual Listener

I'm with you guys on this. It's very frustrating for me. I have two phones. Work and personal, and I typically listen to podcasts on my work phone, and music on my personal. It would be great to keep them separate. There used to be a pop up that showed up when you opened the app, but that seems to have changed. Also, I wish they had a listening history for use with podcasts. Do they have that feature? It just tells me what show I listened to (not which episode), which doesn't really help me.

Thanks!! 

MaKaMaErKi
Regular

Also I need the playlists to be updated (after changes) on all devices, since it is only one account. I really don´t want the listening on one device to have affect on another device, and going offline doesn´t work for me. Please, Spotify, give us a Setting that provides this possibility, thank You.

Petya
Community Legend

Hey there @MaKaMaErKi,

Thanks for stating your preferences!

Maybe it'd be worth it to check out these two existing Ideas: 

If any of them resonates enough with what you want implemented, feel free to vote for it by clicking on +VOTE. Or, you can submit your own Idea if it's different from what you see there.

Let us know if there's anything we can help with 🙂

PetyaModerator

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

cezfez
Casual Listener

I just stumbled upon this thread while googling if there is already a solution to this and I'm so with you guys on this one, I always listen to different stuff on my phone and different on my pc at work and different on my pc at home and when I come back to that specific device I want  to be able to resume where I finished on THAT device.

Has anyone posted this actually as an idea btw? Is anyone still monitoring this thread?

Cbc3
Casual Listener

To quickly update, I am no longer satisfied with using offline mode on my phone as a workaround because then while driving with Android Auto, I cannot use Google Assistant to change music in Spotify.

fersarr1
Regular

grimm6987654
Visitor

This is super annoying.  I recently came over to Spotify since Google Play Music will be shutting down.  I've tried many streaming services and cannot understand who would prefer Spotify service to work like this.  

For me, I listen to music at my computer on the Windows app. Then, I drive to the store, but because I am driving I want to listen to something different.  Then, when I get back to my computer, I want to resume what I was listening to while working.  This is how every other streaming service treats the different apps.  It doesn't have to be multiple profiles, just separate "sessions" or something.  Not a complicated concept.  I don't care about suggestions, etc. I just want to listen to music.  It may be enough for me to go back to Amazon Music or something stupid.  

@Spotify, please do something about this!

Sen_
Music Fan

Rather than create a new account like has been previously listed, I have personally found that if I completely pause and shut down Spotify on one device before I open Spotify on the other one, for example closing it on my computer and then opening it on my phone, it will carry over what it was playing before separately per device.  Of course, the actual employee told you otherwise so their solution is probably more reliable.

meghanrocks
Visitor

This problem has become much more relevant during the pandemic as I listen to a variety of music on my laptop while I work, but then often need to stream a workout//yoga playlist on my phone while I'm taking a virtual class. It's pretty annoying to come back to my workstation and jump back into shavasana. This feature should be an on/off.

SUGGESTED POSTS