Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Incorrect (and slightly embarassing) top artists

Incorrect (and slightly embarassing) top artists

Hi there

On my spotify profile, my top artists are constantly wrong and feature artists I never listen to - and that don't feature in any of my playlists. Why is this happening and what can I do to fix it, it's starting to damage my street cred 🙂
I hate Akon and he's been sitting at the top for while...

Thanks

Clare Thompson

84 Replies

I've fallen victim to this too 😞 My 2, 3, and 4 top artists are people I've maybe listened to once, while Maroon 5 and Kelly Clarkson, who probably have hundreds of plays, are nowhere to be seen 😞

My top artists has two bands I've never even heard of: Boy & Bear #3 and Charlift #9, outside of that I think the order is still definitely messed up within artists of whom I do listen, so please notfiy me when this is fixed.

Anyone know when this will be fixed???

#spotifyproblems

It certainly appears that the feature has been disabled as of midday yesterday.  I was complaining about its inaccuracy to a friend yesterday morning, and now it no longer displays.  Is this feature being reworked atm?

Top artists and top tracks are both broken for me too. The "I've been listening to:" section of my profile contains artists that i literally never listen to, and I don't recognise any of the tracks in my Top Tracks playlist.

I'm running the latest version of Spotify, as far as I can tell.

I think it's very silly that Spotify hasn't acknowledged this overwhelming feedback and allowed subscribers to have more control over their user profiles. The top artists that Spotify has branded me with are a source of constant embarrasment. A few weeks ago my sappy dad hijacked my account while I was working and listened to a few Disney soundtracks. This resulted in my top artists being Randy Newman, Julie Andrews, Amy Adams and other Disney sweethearts. As cringeworthy as it was, I figured if I diligently played my favorite artists all day for a few days they would reset. I've been doing this for weeks and not one artist has changed.

As one who has a facebook but doesn't care for it, the social aspect of Spotify is very important to me. It is extremely frustrating that I am having to put this much thought and effort into trying to manipulate my user profile. Even primitive versions of social networking allowed you to choose your top friends and the like, so why doesn't Spotify get up to speed? You'd think with technological giants like Google and Apple planning to enter the streaming market, Spotify would be keen to retain their premium subscribers by satisfying their wishes and needs. 

@adult_books wrote:

I think it's very silly that Spotify hasn't acknowledged this overwhelming feedback and allowed subscribers to have more control over their user profiles. The top artists that Spotify has branded me with are a source of constant embarrasment. A few weeks ago my sappy dad hijacked my account while I was working and listened to a few Disney soundtracks. This resulted in my top artists being Randy Newman, Julie Andrews, Amy Adams and other Disney sweethearts. As cringeworthy as it was, I figured if I diligently played my favorite artists all day for a few days they would reset. I've been doing this for weeks and not one artist has changed.

As one who has a facebook but doesn't care for it, the social aspect of Spotify is very important to me. It is extremely frustrating that I am having to put this much thought and effort into trying to manipulate my user profile. Even primitive versions of social networking allowed you to choose your top friends and the like, so why doesn't Spotify get up to speed? You'd think with technological giants like Google and Apple planning to enter the streaming market, Spotify would be keen to retain their premium subscribers by satisfying their wishes and needs. 

Hey 🙂 

Sometimes it can just be local data in your client which hasn't been updated in a while. A few weeks seems like a long time, I would have expected it to have updated by now! 

Can you post or PM me (link in signature) a link to your profile and I will check and see what it says? 

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Got your PM, just checked and yes it does appear there are a selection of Disney top artists on your profile for some reason! 

Very strange, unfortunately I don't really have any suggestions on what do to other than wait for it to update. 

You might also want to get in touch with technical support using the online contact form and see if they have any suggestions!

Peter

Peter

Yes, this is also an issue for me.  My recently listened to artists are artists that I may listen to once or twice but that I dont really listen to alot.

I use last.fm so I exactly know my top artists and tracks and the number of plays. But the spoitfy's version is a whole other story. My top artists from past 7 days were "Archie Bronson Outfit" and "Depeche Mode" which are not anywhere in my top artists section. I've turned it off and I won't turn it back on until it's fixed. It's just stupid! How hard could it be to count the number of plays!!!

@alitabatabaei wrote:

I use last.fm so I exactly know my top artists and tracks and the number of plays. But the spoitfy's version is a whole other story. My top artists from past 7 days were "Archie Bronson Outfit" and "Depeche Mode" which are not anywhere in my top artists section. I've turned it off and I won't turn it back on until it's fixed. It's just stupid! How hard could it be to count the number of plays!!!

The Top Tracks section on profiles has been removed, and to my knowledge the Top Artists are not currently being updated due to inaccuracies in the system. Rorey posted about it here. Hopefully it will return soon which increased accuracy!

Peter

Peter

My most listened artists never match with last.fm.

Yep, I found this discussion forum since I have the same problem.  I've been listening to a TON of Bloc Party, Daft Punk, Fitz & The Tantrums, Nightmares on Wax..... I've maybe played STEELY DAN and HALL & OATES maybe once, like a year ago: a song or two.  No party usage on my account- no shared use.  Come on, guys:  you're making me look like a 50-year old has-been who is stuck on 30 years ago....   Pretty lame.  This thread started a year ago and you STILL haven't fixed this.  

I'm beginning to suspect that Spotify is receiving funds for placing certain artists at the top of profiles.  If so, you're seriously mis-representing people.  

Again, same problem here. Maria Carey because I once listened to 'All I want for Christmas is you? XDD C'mon guys, this is really awkward. 

Don't offer a feature if it is going to be rubbish, I wanted to share my 2013 summary you have on the website and it's complete bollocks. 

I listen to spotify everyday at least 3 hours a day and most days I would do even more. I play my lists on and on and on and and don't see them and all what appears is few songs I played few months ago for a joke.

very disappointed with this

This is also happening to me. I have "I kissed a girl" on my top songs and my friend out it on in the car once last week. I know people judge my character, intelligence, and worth by my spotify. I am losing friends and colleagues as we speak. Please for gods sake fix this!!!

Same problem as these folk. Still not solved. 

Unfortunately, Recently Played Artists and the Activity feed seem broken right now to all of us.

Check these thread:

osorniosSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Same problem, it says Kanye West is my top artist. I have never once listened to Kanye West..
**~Jen~**

It says Kanye is my top artist too!! He's been there for months and I don't listen to him

It seems like it's a sneaky way of advertising certain artists to me.. they could be put there based of hearing them in adverts.

Suggested posts