Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Invalid Zip Code (Canada) - Can't Upgrade to Premium. Case #02556140

Solved!

Invalid Zip Code (Canada) - Can't Upgrade to Premium. Case #02556140

CASE #02556140

EDIT: I know there's no solution right now and the "Spotify staff are looking into this". I'm keeping this post here to act as another vote to get it looked into faster.

I'm trying to upgrade my free account to premium before my trip in 2 days - I have a 6 hour drive ahead of me with 15 year old music on my current phone.

When I get to the pament information screen and fill out the fields I get an "Enter valid zip code" error message. I've been researching a solution for the last 3 hours and nothing seems to work. I've tried:

• Entering Postal Code in ALL CAPS
  • Entering Postal Code in all lower case
  • Entering Postal Codes from my past houses
  • Making up Postal Codes
  • Switching browsers (currently using Chrome, tried IE)
  • Entering 90210
  • Entering 11111
  • Entering the numbers from my Postal Code + 00
  • Throwing my laptop
  • Submitting a Contact form
  • Replying to automatic no-reply email from contact message
  • Tweeting @SpotifyCares - they said to enter in all lower case
  • Logging in with FaceBook - said I already have an account with that email address

It appears that this has been an issue for a long time and I'm in absolute disbelief that it hasn't been addressed. What's worse is that 2 of my friends, one of which lives down the street from me and has a similar Postal Code, have upgraded without issue.

PLEASE TELL ME WHAT TO DO...

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

HEY GUYS I FOUND THE FIX! So whereis says "Postal Code" enter a zip code. The one I used was a random one I googled "98105" (it's from Seattle, don't worry we're getting to the good part). It will then prompt you to go "Canadian" since the card you are using is from Canada. Click "ok" or whatever it says and then you will be able to re enter your info and your postal code will work!

ENJOY!! 🙂

View solution in original post

62 Replies

UPDATE: I've just received an email from someone after replying to the no-reply support email. They suggested the following... none of which worked:

• No space in Postal Code and only CAPITAL LETTERS
  • Try '12345'
  • Try entering a 'fake' Postal Code of a nearby town or a friend

Again, no such luck.

experiencing the same!

Same problem here.

Come on Spotify developers, this is not rocket science.  If country code equals Canada then require a postal code and validate against it. This is extremely annoying.

Spotify is still looking into this. Hopefully it will be fixed soon.

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

@MattSuda wrote:

Spotify is still looking into this. Hopefully it will be fixed soon.

Hi Matt,

Thanks for your reply. I know you've been trying your best to keep everyone up to date. Here's hoping it's fixed before tonight so I can have some good music for my 6 hour drive tomorrow.

I have the same problem

This issue has been going on since last week (Thursday is when I personally started having the issue). So far Spotify have been less than uesless in helping. So I came up with my own solution, which I posted elsewhere:

Well I've more or less had it with the nonsense from Spotify at this point. For anyone else looking for the solution to this, here is what I came up with:

Deezer

Rdio

Google Play Music

Xbox Live Musix Services

All of them are more than willing to support their customers / take their money / sell their products.

Good Luck

Trying to be think outside of the box kind of guy I thought "Hey, let's buy a gift card and apply it to our account"  So off I go and buy a gift card with my Canadian Spotify Account with my Canadian PayPal and I get the code. Woo-hoo,  success!!!  Hold on Charlie not so fast, when I go to apply the code to my Canadian account it's asks me for the $×&+¥₩! Zip code again.  

Come on guys now you took my money and I still can't upgrade to premium.   

Same here! No luck...

Spotify should grant premium access to all Canadian based accounts until this issue is resolved as a sign of good faith and show they care about our business. 

I just discovered Spotify and loved Free so much I wanted to upgrade!  I'm ready to PULL MY HAIR OUT!!!!  Same issue.  I've tried EVERYTHING and I don't even know how to contact someone to help me.  Waiting for direction.

@SULLAU00 wrote:

I just discovered Spotify and loved Free so much I wanted to upgrade!  I'm ready to PULL MY HAIR OUT!!!!  Same issue.  I've tried EVERYTHING and I don't even know how to contact someone to help me.  Waiting for direction.

I've been at this since yesterday (which is a short amount of time compared to others) and there's nothing left to do but wait for them to fix it, unfortunately. It's just frustrating because there hasn't been an official note from Spotify regarding when they think it might be fixed.

Can we confirm they are aware of the issue?

@SULLAU00 wrote:
Can we confirm they are aware of the issue?

I can't say with 100% certainty. Some of the highly ranked user in this forum have escalated the issue and have even said they're looking into it but I haven't actually seen anything in their known issues section. I'd like to say they are as it appears that no Canadian users can upgrage to premium.

I hope its identified and resolved soon - you got users wanting to pay now, how backwards.

Yes, I can confirm Spotify is looking into this. Hang in there! Hopefully it will be fixed soon. 

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

great news 🙂

What I don't understand is why the email replies from the staff are offering the same suggestions which we all know don't work?

I've solved this issue by subscribing to XBox and I'm happy. I also see other canadians are switching to Rdio (also excellent) and Google Play.

I only log on here out of curiosity to see how long it takes to resolve. Still no word on this site/forum from an actual employee ... but then, with millions of subscribers already I guess they feel they can afford to be complacent...

By the way, here's an extract from the email I got when I said I want to cancel my account:

Hey there,
Please allow me to help you fix this so you can get back to enjoying your music!
Don't worry about it, I'll definitely go ahead and help you out deleting the account , before we proceed I just need a few details to make sure you’re the owner of the account: Your date of birth (dd/mm/yyyy).
Your post/zip code.
I hope to hear from you soon, of course don't forget, I'm just an email away.

Please Soundtrack your life!

THEY ASKED FOR MY POSTCODE - after I told them I wanted to cancel due to an unresolved issue ... with my postcode! You have to laugh!!

Suggested posts