Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

My Display Name has turned to garbage and account help is wrong

Solved!

My Display Name has turned to garbage and account help is wrong

Spotify recently changed my display name into a garbage of letters on the Desktop App, Android and Browser.  The instructions on how to change Display Name are nonesense.  How do I set my display name back to what it should be?

https://support.spotify.com/us/article/change-my-username/?ref=related 

200421-011941 Useless help instructions.png200421-005720 Username garbage.png200421-010034 who the funk is this.png200421-010506 how do I change username.png200421-010809 Google help.png

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

It seemed like the Spotify Windows app auto-update script broke its own installation.

A friend suggested that I check my name on another Windows app login, so I installed Spotify on my laptop and it's fine.  So I uninstalled Spotify on my desktop, installed Spotify again, and it's back to how it should be.

View solution in original post

6 Replies

Hey there @user-removed, 

Thanks for reaching out to the Community about this. 

We suggest you try the steps described in this Spotify Answer. Make sure you go through all the steps to cover all possible scenarios. 

If it doesn’t do the trick, we’ll provide you with further help. 

Hope this helps. Let us know how it goes. 

@Ivan I read through the post you linked to me and I've never connected my Spotify account with Facebook.

No this did not solve the problem, I am still waiting for a solution, thank you

Marked as solution

It seemed like the Spotify Windows app auto-update script broke its own installation.

A friend suggested that I check my name on another Windows app login, so I installed Spotify on my laptop and it's fine.  So I uninstalled Spotify on my desktop, installed Spotify again, and it's back to how it should be.

yeah its not rlly working for me but ty for the help! 😘

Hey @Bunniawh,

Thanks for posting in the Community.

You'll have to keep in mind, that for a long time now usernames are generated randomly and are a mixture of letters and numbers.

But we have the feature to generate a display name, which is visible for other users. More on that you can read here . Did you manage to do that or you're experiencing the issue described by the original poster? If the latter, could you try with a different device connected to a different network, e.g. mobile data or a PC connected to the internet through a hot spot from your mobile phone?

Keep us posted,

Cheers!

DianModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.

Suggested posts