Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Offline synced on more then 3 devices message?!

Solved!

Offline synced on more then 3 devices message?!

I often get a message on my iPhone from spotify that I have offline playlists synced on more then 3 devices, and I have an option if I want to save my offline playlists on my telefone the message says that I just should quit and restarts spotify.
BUT NOW TO THE PROBLEM!!: I follow the message and quit spotify with hope that all my offlinemusic will still be there, BUT NO..!! And the other thing is that i DO NOT have synced playlists on 3 devices!!!! ONLY on my iphone!! When I restart spotify all music that I have synced are gone!!!?? WHY?! This is so annoying, and I am a paying coustomer so this makes me so angry!! Why pay if the program, by itself deletes my synced stuff...please help? What to do when even not the steps that I follow do not do as it says..?!
378 Replies

@kirk09 wrote:

I synced my playlist offline to max. 2 device. Although i sometimes get this angry message. For example after changing sim card. This holidays i had the luck not to turn my android device online. Back home, i do that and all offline sync was gone.

Please reset the devices on my account. And please solve this problem, there must be i way to get a warning before deleting.

kirk09

Ok, reset.

Check out our Twitter for the latest updates on any service issues: @Spotifystatus

Problem solved? Click 'Accept as solution' to make it easier to find for others!

New to the Community? Check out our Community newbie tips

@Richard, Is that it? No explanation of what the problem is, no assurances that the problem is being worked on and, even after all this time, no sign of a solution.

You get several of these requests everyday. There must be many many more people who don't know about the community here and just get a bad impression of Spotify every time they lose all their offline content.

Is this really how it's going to continue or is someone at Spotify trying to come up with a solution to the, obviously, broken DRM system that you are using?

Steve, sorry that I'm not an Android developer - and I can tell you that we do pass all these things on. Having to reset devices for users isn't exactly the best use of my time, I realise.

From what I can tell the problem is due to the fact we identify devices partly based on cache IDs. Things like changing cards can often change this ID and so we think there's multiple devices. But that's just my impression - I don't know all the technical details.

So I'm hoping for a fix just as much as you. Until then I'll keep helping everyone as best I can.

Check out our Twitter for the latest updates on any service issues: @Spotifystatus

Problem solved? Click 'Accept as solution' to make it easier to find for others!

Richard, Thanks for replying. You don't need to be an Android developer and besides, this problem is prevalent on more than just the Android platform. Or was that just a sarcastic swipe at the comments I made recently in the Android forum which have still not received any response from anyone at Spotify?

We've seen the post, don't worry.  We just don't have anything to post yet.

Unfortunately I don't have the klout to force the Android devs to post here either. We'll keep up the lobbying of course - we're on your side. Cat Wink

I am glad to see I'm not the only one with this issue. I use an iPod Touch as my only offline advice, and still get the message from time to time, claiming I have offline playlists on more than 3 devices, erasing all my current tracks.

It generally seems to happen when I'm using a new Wi-Fi network for some reason.

Please send me the same e-mail about resetting my account!

Like many others have suggested, I also think it would be great if the users could manage their ofline activated devices through their Spotify account.

Crub - Just reset those devices for you. Could you also try a clean reinstall on your iPod touch, as this issue was fixed in an app update a few weeks back. This will make sure you don't receive it again.
-------

Check out how we're doing over @SpotifyStatus

Question answered? Just click 'Accept as solution' to help other users out. Easy.

Who's your Spotify Star?

I cancled my spotify service because of this error. I'd like to reinstate if this "clearing devices" fix actually works. If you do this for me will I get the same message again once I connect to a 4th wifi network or something?

I also have a new phone, it's the only device I'd like to sync my tracks to. That's not so much to ask I think.

Spotify is great, this bug is really a downer.

BTW my device is an Android

Fatalgray - This is based on a cache on your device, rather than which Wi-Fi network you are connected to.

Do you have a cache cleaning / task killer application on your device at all? I've just taken a look at your account, and found three caches registered to be offline - But they were all for the same device. The caches were created on - 2012-1-26, 2012-2-21 and 2012-4-20. A cache cleaning app might have caused this to happen, but you might have reinstalled the application for other reasons.

If you have a brand new phone, resetting this would start afresh and let you to sync tracks to that device. Let us know what you want to do.
Airhorn Enthusiast

Yes, please reset those cache's.  I have a new device so hopefully all goes well. I did however copy over settings from the old device so we'll see.

Strange that you can see that I had three cache's from the same device but the software thinks they were three different devices.  That seems....wrong.

Hi Fatalgray - No problem, I've now removed all those devices for you. 

I also recommend doing a quick clean reinstall of the Spotify app on your new device and your desktop before you get started. Let us know if we can help with anything else. 

Here we go again.

I had to reinstall Spotify on my Mac, and now I get the more than 3 devices message again. There really needs to be a way to reset this in your user account settings.

I only have it installed on 3 devices.

Could you please reset my offline devices again?

/Erik

hi there, i've been having the more than three devices problem for some time now, think it happened first during the time i had the beta-version of the new android app installed, and worked around it by not using offline mode on my 2nd PC. now that the new app is fully released my question: would you be so kind as to reset my devices list, too? (gonna be on holidays soon, would be great to minimize the risk of losing access to my ~2k offline tracks before..) regards, simon

erik5678 - reset!

da_random - done!

Thank you very much!

@Richard: thanks loads!!

hi , i am having the same problems . Can you de activate the devices please?

Thanks Duncan

Hello dear mods,

I've just purchased a new MacBook Air and get the "more than 3 devices" message on my iPhone. Can you please reset my devices asap? I am on my way to the airport, have two 10hr flights coming up and really need my playlists. Thanks! Sven

Tuchiness & Svensvensson - Just cleared your devices for you. Hope it helps.
-------

Check out how we're doing over @SpotifyStatus

Question answered? Just click 'Accept as solution' to help other users out. Easy.

Who's your Spotify Star?

Suggested posts