NEXT STEP

Recently played artist at home page not updating [Desktop]

Recently played artist at home page not updating [Desktop]

Plan

Premium

Operating System

Windows 10

My Question or Issue

In the "Home" section of Spotify desktop, "Recently played artists" stays in the top of the screen, and has been stuck with an artist that I have listened to basically only once and don't really like to see there every day.  I can't disable this section or remove the artist in any way.

The recently played artists section of in my "profile" works correctly as intended, my problem is only with the list that stays on top of the "home" tab.

15 Replies

Hi @RudiVanDanck,

Thanks for reaching out to the Spotify Community about this!

Spotify is currently investigating an Ongoing Issue causing the "Recently played" section of the Home screen to not update properly on the desktop app. I recommend adding your +VOTE to this Ongoing Issue, as well as Subscribing by clicking the three-dots menu at the top right of the screen so that you can make sure to be notified of any updates regarding this issue.

Let us know if you have any other questions, and have a good day!

AdamDamSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Thank you, @TreyAnastasio. I have already voted the ongiong issue, but differently from the ongoing one, I have the same problem on the desktop, web player and on iOS - the home screen shows 1 recently played artists that is stuck on the top of the page on all of my devices.

Hi @RudiVanDanck,

Thank you for your reply!

I recommend a clean reinstall of the Spotify app on your devices, as well as making sure that your devices’ operating systems are up to date.

Let me know how it goes, as well as if you have any other questions! Also, could you let me know the make and model of each device this is happening on, as well their software versions?

AdamDamSpotify Star

Dear TreyAnastasio,

After having reinstalled the app in my phone and in my computer, I can confirm that reinstalling does not solve the problem.

I have the same problem in the web player, so I have reason to believe that make/models of my devices are not relevant to this issue. But I am using an iPhone SE with iOS 13.5.1 and a Dell laptop running Windows 10 with all the updates done.

Hi @RudiVanDanck,

Thanks for your reply!

Could you send screenshots of how your Recently Played artists appear on the Home screen?

Also, could let me know if this issue happens as well when you try creating a new account and listening to music there?

Keep me posted, and I’ll take a closer look!

AdamDamSpotify Star

Hi TreyAnastasio,

Thanks a lot for your concern.

Here is a screenshot of what I see (Spotify.jpg - Artist always stays there).

Also a screenshot of what I see with a new account (Spotify2.jpg - Multiple artists shown, list updates when I play a new artist)

ps. sorry I deleted sections of the screenshots for my privacy, but the images illustrate the problem as they are.

Spotify.jpg
Spotify2.jpg

Hi @RudiVanDanck,

Thanks for sending me the screenshot. Could you try creating a new account and see if that makes a difference? If your recently played does update on the new account, I'll suggest steps on how to transfer content from your old account to the new one without losing your saved content. 

Let me know what happens. 

AdamDamSpotify Star

I have had the same issue for some time now.

Hey there @ms4624,

Thank you for reaching out to us about this.

As @AdamDam  mentioned -  we have an ongoing issue about this. You can leave a +Vote and subscribe to the thread for any updates.

In the meantime - could you let us know if this occurs on one device or more devices.

It would also be great if you can confirm if you performed a clean reinstall of the app?

We'll keep an eye out for your reply.

Cheers!

ElenaModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Thank you for your reply, but I don't believe you when you say this issue
is being addressed, as there are similar incidents in the Spotify
community, unresolved, going back years. That aside, I understand this is
the default response you are asked to say by your management, and
don't blame you personally for this.

I believe the issue has something to do with link tree and similar link
services, as the artists that remain in my 'recently played' are all
artists that I listened to following a Spotify link through an instagram
bio etc., bitly, lnk, short url etc. I believe it has something to do with
cookies, or old links, cache data etc. I have cleared all mine but it
remains on the computer desktop as so. I would like to raise this issue
again, as it is making me want to find another streaming service, but I
would prefer if Spotify took it seriously, as it's a simple bug. Please
inform your management how old this incident is, doing a simple search in
the community. Thank you.

Hey @ms4624,

Thank you for your reply and feedback.

We'll be sure to pass on your thoughts to the right team here. We're aware that there have been reports of similar issues in the past but with time those have been resolved.

The occurrence of this behavior is more recent and our teams are looking further into it, but we're afraid we're not able to provide you with a time frame for a solution.

Sometimes even if at first glance something seems basic, it can actually take quite a lot of time and resources in order to identify the cause, develop the change and afterwards ensure that the new implementation doesn't actually conflict with another part of the app, which all in turn slows overall improvements and updates down.

This is why we link our users to our ongoing issue about this. You can leave a +Vote and subscribe to the thread for any updates. We indeed investigate and find solution once we collect enough info and reports from users that have the issue

Hope this shines some light on the situation.

Cheers!

ElenaModerator

It also is stuck on my Windows 10 PC at home, Mac at work, and android phone. Logout also doesn't work for me either.

Is there any fix on this yet? I am having the same issue with my Windows PC, Mac, and Android phone. Logout has not worked, I haven't tried reinstalling but the error is exact on every platfom I have which leads me to think it is not my devices that are causing the issue.

Hey there @LethalSafetyTea,

Thank you for your posts.

Just to confirm, we have an ongoing issue about this. You can follow the steps in there to try and solve this and if the issue persists you can leave a +Vote and subscribe to the thread for any updates.

In the meantime - would you mind logging in on another account - such as a friend's or a family member's to see if the issue persists?

Keep us posted 🙂

Cheers!

ElenaModerator

I can confirm that this issue remains problematic for me as well.

Playing something on ios puts it in the recently played list on the app, however spotify web or the desktop app have the same two month old recently played list.

I've tried various things including signing out everywhere, reinstalling the apps everywhere and such. Given that the problem is also present on the web version, it tells me that it's a server issue more than anything else.

Moreoever, playing something on the web or desktop updates my recently played on ios, but not on the web or desktop interfaces.

Suggested posts