Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Restrict Spotify Connect to Local Network

Restrict Spotify Connect to Local Network

Plan: Premium

Device

KEF LSX

Operating System

Unknown

My Question or Issue

Hi -

It appears that I am able to control Spotify Connect connected devices (in my case the KEF LSX) from outside of my home network. I really like the remote control functionality of Spotify Connect, but I'd prefer that playing songs only be initiated from within my network. 

I cannot see a use case for playing music when I'm not at home on my network. Unless I want to freak people out when they are home alone. Practical jokes aside, if Spotify is ever hacked it's very possible that someone could initiate playing on our devices and control the volume - that would be very unwelcome.

My question:

Can I restrict Spotify Connect functionality to only devices that are on the same network as the actual player?

[The device I tested on had previously been used with Spotify Connect on the same network, so it's possible there is a cookie/token/key created at that point that secures this functionality. If this is the case my security concerns would be aleviated]

Thanks! 

3 Replies

Hey, @DonegalLola 
Welcome to Spotify Community and thanks for reaching out here!

You can limit the Spotify Connect to function only with your local devices that are connected on the same network your main device is linked to.

1. Tap Home
  2. Tap Settings 
  3. Tap Devices.
  4. Switch on Show local devices only and try Connect again.

If you have any other further questions or need more help, let me know! I'd love to help!

Best Regards,
hezorg

LuanSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

I have submitted an idea to Spotify (using the corresponding idea submission portal) to allow to restrict the connections as the owner of the device.

Please support the idea if you like to be in control of who's using your device.

Currently only users of the App can prevent to accidentally play back music on a remote device (miles away) by setting 'Show local devices only'.

The owner of the device however cannot control who plays music over their device as soon as someone has used the device at least once from the local network.

The owner of the device however cannot control who plays music over their device as soon as someone has used the device at least once from the local network.”

This is absurd.

Suggested posts