Samsung Smart tv app going away?

Solved!

Samsung Smart tv app going away?

Kris17
Casual Listener
I just got notice that the app on my Samsung Smart tv is going away on Aug 31st. Is this true and why?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Solution!

seege
Not really a solution there... spotify connect wpnt work with my tv without upgrading. Dissappointed. Time to end my subscription!

View solution in original post

58 Replies

federicotonin
Casual Listener

It’s not a solution… why do I need an external device (chromecast) to stream media from a third device (laptop or macbook) to use an official App that has been proven to work until a month ago?

Just keep the old App running without new features (is there any new feature on spotify since a couple of years??)

Elsonja
Totally ridiculous - why remove it for paying customers? Especially as the technology has been proven to work. I will also make similar comments to Samsung.

bossea

No it is false

Yorgan75
Casual Listener
I got this message yesterday & sure enough its gone today. Roku got rid of it some time ago as well. I guess its too difficult to keep track of all the accounts & millions of songs without it causing technical issues, at least thats kinda what roku said...anyway im glad i found a used PS3 the other day, so now i have spooterfy on my ancient 2014 samsung again.

Maxim
Rock Star 24
Rock Star 24

Hey @Kris17,

Thanks for reaching out.

As Spotify looks to improve the overall experience, the app will not be available on Samsung’s Legacy operating system on select 2015 and prior devices. For more information, and for other ways to stream on your TV, check this out.

MaximRock Star 24
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

ignote

**bleep**, spotify.  The samsung app is the only reason I was paying for premium.  All eyes on Pandora I guess... sure wish they'd do something with what they acquired in the rdio buyout. 

Stefan_E
Regular

So now the turn have come to Samsung´s product Spotify close down buy not continue their suport of libspotify. My self have a Bang&Olufsen unit that used to have a superb spotify integration but due to Spotify´s decition to stop supporting/developing lib spotify they instead forced all their existing partners to stop the interaction to Spotify. 

They want to have all interaction via their on app it seems but I think Spotify is dropping premium customers buy this, I don´t see a need to have / pay for spotify anymore due to this behavour from them. 

federicotonin
Casual Listener

It's completely ridiculous, three years of premium subscription and my 2015 Samsung smart tv cannot play anymore! Congratulations, it's the best way to "improve the overall experience"! You've just lost another customer...

spotifynotcare

What a joke! Can't listen to it at work, now can't listen on my TV. It's like Spotify is actively sabotaging it's own business. Improving the service is not excluding the customer

Alkowa

Hahaha isn't it a bit early for april fools? Was this decision made by trump? Only trump would make such a decision!!

Kris17
Casual Listener

Thats really sad that Spotify can't support an app on a widely used tv, "legacy" being a two year old tv? I'll be cancelling my premium subscription.. 

robtovey

So Spotify "wants to improve" it's service to customers penalising them by removing a perfectly working app off a Samsung tv that's 2 years or older!  Can you please explain how this is possibly an improvement, or even good customer service?  Pathetically short sighted on your behalf.  At least have the option of a  historical app for older generation tv's than to just completly remove it!  Yep fantastic customer service well done Spotify.

darinhanks
Casual Listener

This post is nowhere near a solution. 2015 equals legacy? Man, this is a sure fire way to **bleep** off some once loyal customers. Cancelled my subscription yesterday. 

wwrigley
Casual Listener
I agree, I think this is a very very poor show on Spotify’s behalf. A 2015 tv is not a legacy tv and you shouldn’t expect your valued paying customers to have to buy a new tv to be able to continue to use the service they pay for.

thochris

If that's the case, I'm seriously pissed off. 2015 isn't even 2 full years ago. 

Solution!

seege
Not really a solution there... spotify connect wpnt work with my tv without upgrading. Dissappointed. Time to end my subscription!

View solution in original post

tlloyds

Same. That's pretty crappy that your answer to "improving" is literally just "take away from some people". I've had my premium spotify account since 2011, but I'm not going to by a brand new TV every time the software changes, so I'll cancel Spotify instead.

SUGGESTED POSTS