Security breach in Spotify premium accounts

Security breach in Spotify premium accounts

Cota

Last tuesday, for the second time in 1 year i believe, someone hacked into my spotify premium account and changed the email adress. For the second time, Spotify suggested this was a problem of mine (security issues). 

I have many accounts in different apps and websites (like everyone else), but this is the ONLY account i have ever been hacked.  Someone had access to my pasword (which is totally unbreakable and diferent from the one i use in other accounts). I have to say i NEVER enter my Spotify password on ANY device that isnt my own, so in all the time i had a premium account, i only haved logged into my personal cellphone and my ipad (which never leaves my house). my question is, how is it possible to just change the email linked to my account without ANY validation on Spotify side? shouldnt you ask at least that the original email confirm this is a valid action? or ask the uzer that is chancging the registered email to send a bank statement? how can Spotify just decide this fraud occured because of security issues of my devices and not take any responsability? 

19 Replies

Re: Security breach in Spotify premium accounts

Rock Star 21
Rock Star 21

Hey @Cota, welcome to the community :)

Sorry to hear that you think someone else has gained access to your Spotify account.

In this case, I would check out this Spotify Answer for the next steps to take.

Hope this helps :)

Billy-JRock Star 21
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Konvect

Yeah, I just changed my password and cancelled my premium membership. It's such a shame to see Spotify blaming its users for getting hacked instead of fixing the problem. Got my playlists deleted and the hacker created a playlist called "Get Hacked". This ain't it chief

Rock Star 21
Rock Star 21

@Konvect,

I understand your concern. Safety and security is Spotify’s number #1 priority, and I do apologize for any inconvenience this has caused for you. 

You can follow these steps to protect your account here: https://support.spotify.com/account_payment_help/privacy/protect-your-spotify-account/. 

Let me know if you have anymore questions :)

Billy-JRock Star 21

Azaida
Casual Listener

Not a good response. The forums are full of people getting hacked time after time, using secure and different passwords, Facebook and anything else you can add to protect it. And the response is “change your password”, not matter what extra details you provide. 

Considering to to move to Apple Music unless I get a proper response. You are being hacked! Admit it and solve it!

Hey @Azaida@Cota and @Konvect,

We're very sorry to hear this has happened to you, and we understand your frustration regarding this. Account security is no laughing matter, and keeping your accounts secure is something we take very seriously.

As much as we'd like to help you out from here, it looks like your accounts need be looked into. You'll find all the necessary steps on this article. Please make sure to go through the article all the way to the end.

Let us know if there's anything else in the meantime. 

JemiModerator
"Use the force, Harry" - Gandalf

matthewmotamedi
Casual Listener

There was a data breach of about 338 confirmed accounts so far, but I don't think Spotify has notified any of these account owners. You may have been 1 of the people on the text file list of usernames and passwords. I got a notification from haveibeenpwned.com and did nothing about it until some random kept playing weird music on a device I did not recognize while I was trying to listen on my normal device. It was annoying, I kept getting pulled out of my song because we started battling for control of what device and what song the audio was to be heard on. I started playing really loud and obnoxious noise music for the hacker while I changed my password.

I HIGHLY RECOMMEND CHECKING IF YOUR ACCOUNT WAS COMPROMISED VIA (HaveIBeenPwned) which is a service that checks your email against the database containing password leaks, data breaches, and pastes. I would not have known if I didn't have notifications from that site from years ago.

data breach spotify.PNG

Rock Star 21
Rock Star 21

Hey @matthewmotamedi.

Please read @Jemi's reply for further help regarding this.

Have a nice day :)

Billy-JRock Star 21

matthewmotamedi
Casual Listener

I know the proper steps to take after something like this, but Spotify needs to be 100% transparent in these events instead of acting like people are bad at picking passwords. Even if you have 2 step verification or log in using Facebook tied to two-step verification.

Vicctc

Yes, it happened with us as well.  No Spotify support.  No capacity to engage anyone at Spotify on the Hack.  

Awful service.

SUGGESTED POSTS