Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify Gift Cards?

Solved!

Spotify Gift Cards?

How in the heck do I buy someone a Spotify sub for a gift?  I have never tried so hard to give someone my money!  It says I cannot get one since I am in the US? 

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hello!

E-Cards are now available in the US. Check right here

Airhorn Enthusiast

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

While I know this thread is mostly US users, I just want to note the difference between gift cards and e-cards for all other users. 

Our online e-cards can only be redeemed for Premium--@mattjsrules is absolutely right. 

However, in-store gift cards are also available in a few Spotify countries. These can be redeemed for either Unlimited or Premium. 

You can click here to see if these gift cards are available in a store near you: http://www.spotify.com/gift-card/

View solution in original post

55 Replies

Hey, right now e-cards aren't available in the US.

Hopefully we'll be able to introduce something in the future though.
Check out our Twitter for the latest updates on any service issues: @Spotifystatus

Problem solved? Click 'Accept as solution' to make it easier to find for others!

New to the Community? Check out our Community newbie tips

Alright.  Thanks.  Let me know when you're ready to take more of my money!

Seriously, this is rediculous.  Just to give you a little example of how this affects your business model, I have a family of tech-inept, music-loving iPhone users that continually marvel at the wonders of Spotify every time they get their hands on my phone. However, they are currently incapable of registering for and setting up Spotify on their iPhones and DLNA devices, given that technology scares them.  Until they have been gifted their own Spotify account (and, therefore, cannot live without it) by someone such as myself, they will be nothing more than unrealized, potential revenue streams yearning for the exact service that you offer, yet shackled to the iTunes Store pay-per-song theivery to which they have become accustomed.  While speculation abounds as to the reasons for Spoltify prohibiting gift cards in the US, I sincerely hope that they rethink this asinine prohibition and allow me to give my technologically-challenged, music-loving family the gift of Spotify.  While the $400+ dollars I want to pay you to give my family members a year's worth of your otherwise-awsome serivce may have little to no impact on your bottom line in the short term, there is no other way that you are going to reach this particular type of long-term, steady and nearly-dependent clientele. While Spotify is the best around to date, it is a service that can be easily replicated by numerous interested parties, including, potentially, the content owners themselves.  Ubiquity is your only solid play here.   Let me put it this way.... Most of my family members still use their AOL email accounts from a decade ago as their primary personal email address.  My parents actually paid for AOL service for a year after they got a dedicated broadband connection because they were accustomed to AOL.  It is really a no-brainer.  Whatever perceived short-term legal or economic exposure risks there may be, restricting one of the most effective means of spreading your product virally to steady clientele you would never otherwise be able to engage seems like a receipe for long-term failure.... But what do I know.

If your family is too tech-inept to be able download an app and sign up for a free trial, followed by entering some payment information, I don't see how giving them a gift-card will solve this - they'll still need to download the app and create an account, but with the added complexity of entering the voucher details. Yes, not having gift-cards available for all to buy is a cause for complaint, but there's no need to blow it out of all proportion.
----------------
Listening on Windows, Android and Sonos. Tweeting it at @davelicence
Marked as solution

Hello!

E-Cards are now available in the US. Check right here

Airhorn Enthusiast

If I purchase a gift card - can they use it to get unlimited or is only for premium?

Cyrena,

The gift cards are only for premium at this time. 

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.
Marked as solution

While I know this thread is mostly US users, I just want to note the difference between gift cards and e-cards for all other users. 

Our online e-cards can only be redeemed for Premium--@mattjsrules is absolutely right. 

However, in-store gift cards are also available in a few Spotify countries. These can be redeemed for either Unlimited or Premium. 

You can click here to see if these gift cards are available in a store near you: http://www.spotify.com/gift-card/

when are they available in germany ?? 😉

would be great if you can say me what is going on in germany with the git cards 😉 

Except that I've been trying to buy them for my nephews and keep getting error messages. I've been on the phone with the bank and they said I should contact the seller because everything is in order for my card to work. Sadly, there is no way to contact the seller except for this Kafka esque forum.

@DeClementia wrote:

Except that I've been trying to buy them for my nephews and keep getting error messages. I've been on the phone with the bank and they said I should contact the seller because everything is in order for my card to work. Sadly, there is no way to contact the seller except for this Kafka esque forum.

You can get in touch directly with the Spotify support team using the online contact form.

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

wow. where'd you find that?

But I've already lost an hour of my life to this. Don't think I'll invest further.

so if i ended up with 2 of them can i use them both on the same account? is there a limit or not?

We want Unlimited gift cards!!

Premium gift cards suck!!  Will not buy 'em!! 

I recieved Spotify gift cards for Christmas in the US. I redeemed all the codes on the back and confirmed, but there is nothing showing on the website that I have credit on my account. I have a cc on file with recurring payment, but will the service use the gift card credit up before charging my cc again?

I actually purchased a Spotify gift card so I can continue to use the Premium service without having to attach a bank account to it. Turns out I still need to have a bank account hooked to my Spotify account. This sucks.

Hey guys 🙂 

mulark66 - Yes you can use as many gift cards on your account as you like. It will just push back the renewal date of your account by the value of the card. 

stylusmariner - Premium eCards that you buy online can only be used for Premium, however, if you are in a region where Spotify gift cards are available on the high street, you can use those for unlimited. Have a look here.

masterfryman - Have a look on your online overview, you should find that you next payment date in your subscription status has been pushed back by the number of months that you redeemed. 

TerrancePryor - You don't need to attached a credit card to your account if you are redeeming a gift card. Just head to the link on the card, sign into your accound and redeem the code. 

If anyone is having an issues, get in touch with the support team using the online contact form.

Peter

Peter

Is it possible to buy a Spotify gift card from the UK, with a British credit card, for someone in the US who will use it there?

Thanks

Tim

@timber99 wrote:

Is it possible to buy a Spotify gift card from the UK, with a British credit card, for someone in the US who will use it there?

Thanks

Tim

Hey! Welcome to the community 🙂 

Yes that should be fine, gift cards and premium codes are redeemable in any country where Spotify is available as far as I am aware. 

Peter

Peter

Suggested posts