Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify family age on children

Spotify family age on children

Im trying to invite my daughter, but cant create an account for her, it keep saying she dont meet the age requirements.

And yes she is only 7, but why call it family if i cant invite my children ? 

19 Replies

Same issue here.  Did you ever get this worked out?  

With a magic wand my daughter aged 11 years

This is something Spotify should look into now when they've started to push their Spotify Premium Family. A lot of people will love to give their kids their own accounts - among other things it will make each user's play history "cleaner" and thus improve all the Discover features and make them more relevant. My daughter's listening behaviour will stop showing up in my weekly discoveries etc.

Should be possible to create new accounts directly in the family subscription dashboard.

Same problem around here. 

I would like to give accounts to both my children 6 & 8, I would like a 'clean' filter like YouTube kids where I can be confident that there is an editorial control on words and content. Is this in development? 

yes, this would be useful. otherwise the only workaround is to falsify the family member's age

Unfortunately, Spotify is only intended to 13 years old or older. If you want to use the service, you are breaking the privacy policy. You can always falsify the date of birth of course, and Spotify wouldn't actually know you did it. Is your responsability to control or limit your children's Spotify usage. To pay for Spotify Premium a person needs to be 18 years old or older.

There's no workaround here. You either don't use the service or falsify the date of birth.

I think that the age limit for family subscriptions is stupid, I had to lie about my soons age so that he could listen in his mobile.

It would be good if spotify added some fields in the registration so that the parents data could be added so we don´t have to lie.

Vintersbelle, This may sound cruel, But make a fake birthdate. The age requirement in the US is 13. Why they don't allow this is because on Spotify there is explicit content that may not be suitable for children. Some songs include drug reference and a detailed explanatory of nudity and sexual references. Yes, They have kid songs. But the whole page can't be just about kid songs. The real answer is.... Your child can't have Spotify. 

What a ridiculous policy. Because we all know that only people aged 13 or older listen to music. 

I have the same problem, my son is 9 and loves listening to music and he actually has pretty good taste. It can't be too difficult a development to allow a switch on the family account which prohibits explicit songs on certain accounts. I'm well aware there is an age restriction however it just makes no sense because all families are young at some stage and there are some fantastic childrens playlists available.

Hey everyone!

Thank you so much for posting this cracker of a question to the Spotify Community. It's a really good question.

To confirm the Spotift Terms and Conditions and Privacy policy, section 10 (Children) of the Spotify Privacy policy as well as section 1 (Introduction) outlines the guidelines on minors using Spotify and its services. 

Spotify Terms and Conditions - 1 Introduction:

In order to use the Spotify Service and access the Content, you need to (1) be 18 or older, or be 13 or older and have your parent or guardian’s consent to the Agreements (except as set forth in the chart below), (2) have the power to enter a binding contract with us and not be barred from doing so under any applicable laws, and (3) be resident in a country where the Service is available. You also promise that any registration information that you submit to Spotify is true, accurate, and complete, and you agree to keep it that way at all times.

If you are a resident of one of the following countries, reference this chart for your country-specific age restrictions:

Screenshot 2017-11-01 at 12.32.50 pm.png

If you are a parent of a child under the Age Limit and become aware that your child has provided personal information to Spotify, please contact Spotify at 
privacy@spotify.com and you may request exercise of your applicable access, rectification, cancellation, and/or objection rights. If you are a California resident under the age of 18 and you wish to remove publicly available content, please contact Spotify at eraser@spotify.com. 

Once again, thanks for posting such an awesome question!

Cheers,

Tim

Hi Tim,

Thanks for your response. I’m pleased to have raised a question that has resonated with so many people, ultimately I want to share my love of music with my children - ideally so they can explore in the security of my home with filters so they find their genres or as family, share in listening to the diverse breadth that Spotify can provide.

What I would like is a filter for a radio edit vs explicit edit, as a song already has an explicit highlight note would it not be possible to create a ‘family friendly’ filter that sorts for a radio edit?

Do let me know whether this could be achievable?

Sarah

Hey Sarah @scarahej,

Thanks for getting back to me 🙂 I'm really sorry about the initial delay in your thread getting the attention it deserves from myself.

Your thoughts about sharing the magic of music to kids is something I applaud you for, however due to several laws it's particularly hard for companies to police youth accounts. As you said, idealy there would be a filter that blocks explicit songs from playing for youth accounts (something that's actually been suggested over here) but at the moment that isn't in existance.

The majority of large companies, including large multinationals like Google, Microsoft and Twitter, don't permit for children under the age of 13 (on average) to have an account. It really does come down to laws, and how companies have to respond to them.

Your children are free to explore the world of music through Spotify, but the only legal way at the moment, is to use your account (preferrably under your supervision).

Let me know if you have anymore questions, and feel free to add your thoughts and +1 to the forementioned suggestion!

Cheers and have a spectacular day/night/morning/afternoon!

Tim

But ,why call it family not invite children?

I love Alexa and Spotify. A lot of fun and music streaming. I am working with SmartHomesMaker in the USA.

Hey @darcydonal,

That's a great question. Spotify Premium for Family is too designed for families including families with children, however children refers to 13+ year olds. A family could be two partners, two parents with a child or a grandmother, two parents and a child.

I hope this clears up your question and feel free to ask any other questions you have!

Cheers,

Tim

i agree with you, but this is nonsense.

as a parent of my kids, i'm responsible for them. it doesn't really make difference if i can let them join spotify at the age of 7 or 16: they're still my sons, they're still minors and i'm still responsible for what they do (in italy, at least).

that's why people at spotify should consider allowing creation of accounts of any age, provided they're part of a "family" group. in case the family group end its life, accounts for kids under the age of 13 (or whatever limit they prefer) will be disabled until the family account is restored and/or they grou up enough to meet minimum spotify requirements.

Yes, this makes NO sense.  Why quote Terms of Service of not being able to join in a binding contract when it is the person providing the "Family Subscription" who is the ADULT or Parent in the situation.  These EXCUSES make no sense; especially when coming from a Spotify COMMUNITY member rather than being provided true information from a representative from Spotify.  I think these "community" members just want to hear themselves talk.  LOL

Suggested posts