Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify stopped selling download credits

Solved!

Spotify stopped selling download credits

Hi,

Noticed a couple of days ago I was no longer able to buy credits to buy MP3's."(At this moment it's not possible to buy downloads from Spotify, click here for more information)"

The link provided only said: "At this moment we don't offer an option to buy new downloads on spotify however you can still use download credits you already have".

-> When will Spotify again allow us to buy download credits?

PS. really bad timing to stop this before X-mas

153 Replies

I am from Great Britain, I wonder if we are all in the same country or is this happening in all countries? Don't know if that is relevant or not I am not very computer literate! I have mostly 4 downloads left on each of my purchased songs but I cannot re-download them , even though Spotify customer services are telling me I can! I CAN'T!! Still no positive answers- it should be Spotify's no1 priority to get this soreted ASP!

I agree...the "information" that Spotify is giving leaves us none the wiser and the link to the "changes to downloads store" is a joke.  We understand that we can't download tracks any more but we need to know WHY and if it's going to be a permanent thing.

I've been using Spotify from the very beginning and have enjoyed the majority of the upgrades/changes that they've added over the years, but this to me seems like a ridiculous step backwards.

@tittlemouse I share your frustration at the customer services...no-one could be dumb enough to give an answer so irrelevant, so they must be hiding something.  We deserve some more information!

PS - I am in France

Hi all,

This is my first post in this community and I suppose the circumstances could have been a little better...

I also noticed that Spotify stopped selling download credits a week back or so. Being able to download MP3's in an easy way as it was before is one of the biggest reasons for me paying for Spotify in the first place. Now I am not that sure anymore.

And the "official" answers given by Spotify is joke, plain and simpel. They doesn't really say anything, why not just say WHY they stopped and if this is just temporary or not?

Please give us all an answer, and soon!

I have finally had a reply from customer services to at least one of my questions. They still do not tell me WHY we cannot purchase more credits. They only asked for me to send screen shots of my "downloads page"  (because I cannot re-download any of my purchases even though I have 4 left on the vast majority). So-I have sent them screen shots of that page AND screen shots of a playlist I wish to purchase and another of the message which appears. There are no "get" links to individual tracks, only to purchase a playlist, BUT!- if one clicks on that the pop up appears saying that  "Spotify are currently not supporting new download purchases".

I have now turned to iTunes instead of Spotify. It is not more expensive buying tunes that way, but you have first to install iTunes at your computer if it is not already done. Bad for Spotify, bu what the heck...

I have itunes because I have an ipod. However the main reason I personally use spotify and have a subscription with them, is because if one wants an album that is pretty obsolete , one can usually find it on Spotify. also one can hear the whole track on Spotify. I am SO mad about this because I was given money to purchase new albums before Christmas , but still cannot do so, and the fact I have recommended Spotify to so many people. It is disgraceful trhat no tech guy has come on here from Spotify to explain this. Are they making this a permanent thing and not telling us so they can keep our subscriptions longer, knowing many will leave if this is permenant?? That's how it appears!

I switched to buying downloads on Spotify a few months ago after Amazon introduced its new system. I'm appalled at lack of information as to why Spotify has stopped downloads. And my account currently says I have 37 credits that expire in 3 days. But if I try the normal method of buying a couple of more downloads to extend the period, it says I can't buy downloads. The "changes to download" doesn't address the question of whether I will be able to use the credits.

Just like Amazon, this changes comes across as poorly handled, leaving users puzzled and bewildered. Please someone at Spotify, tell us what is happening.

Spotify pls, talk to us, ty.

Of course Spotify may have deliberately set out to alienate users and to shed customers.

But if you log on to Spotiy.com, and click on "Features", it promises

"Listen everywhere

Spotify works on your computer, your mobile, your tablet, and your home entertainment system.
You can even download your favourite music for when you’re offline."

So either they need to update their website, or tell their users why they can't download their favourite music anymore!

Marked as solution

If they are updating the website what is the problem with them in keeping us as subscribers informed?

If we can not ever re-download our purchases or buy credits for new purchases they need to inform us NOW! I had thought more highly of Spotify. This is beyond disgraceful! Barely a reply from them in response to all these posts!

Further to my post above I have just seen another reply from Spotify customer services. As I have said previously I was asked to send them screen shots of  what I see on Spotify. This is the reply to that from someone called Aimie, the previous one was named Mark.

My reply in Red

In a message dated 28/12/2012 15:30:59 GMT Standard Time, support@spotify.com writes:
Hi there,

Thanks for getting back to us about this.

Have you tried right clicking on the track to ensure that there is no option to re-download here?
OF COURSE! You can see from the screen shots there is no link anywhere and if I right click on the track there is no link to re- download

At this time, Spotify is not offering the opportunity for users to buy tokens for downloads. What we all want to know is WHY?  We are not stupid, we can understand, what is the big secret?  Features on Spotify come and go,  but surely being able to buy songs is the main purpose of spotify? we cannot say at the moment whether or not downloads will become available again on our service. If you still have download tokens to redeem however, you can still do this. Some on the forum are saying they cannot use the credits they have.

Let me know how you get on.
I am getting absolutely NOWHERE!

All the best,

Aimee

Total Shambles! 

The fact we can't download/purchase any more songs/albums is a shame! 

SPOTIFY Your Annoucments Are S**T!!!!!! Why Do You Offer No Explanation?

My further reply to customer services....

Hello again ,
Further  to your last reply to me...
I cannot re-download the songs I have purchased even though there are 4 downloads left on the vast majority. Please note all my previous e-mails. Nobody is responding to the Community Forum on Spotify and  your replies to me have not answered one of the issues I have raised. They are innane and useless!  Members are becoming very frustrated.  It is utterly appalling the so called explanation that has been given to us from Spotify or more to the point, the lack thereof!
1) WHY is this happening?
2) WHY weren't we warned? Was it to save the loss of subscriptions which is inevitably going to happen? 
3) WHY is Spotify still advertising that one can download music. Is it only those that pay the premium subscription that can download? If so
4) WHY weren't other subscribers warned of this? 
 Spotify really needs to answer all of us in this situation!
With regard to this stupid statement, ie:- quote from below "Let me know how you get on."
Get on with what? I have sent you screen shots and explained in detail why I cannot re-download my purchased songs, THERE ARE NO LINKS TO DO SO!
Yes Shouty capitals! We are all frustrated and very angry that Spotify is happy to take our subscriptions, yet customer services are doing absolutely nothing to help us, not even on the forum It really is very bad business.
tittlemouse
Marked as solution

The most recent reply from customer services...

Thanks for contacting us here at Spotify.

First of all, let me apologise for the delay in getting back to you. It appears some of our cases may have been caught in some sort of digital limbo and have only just come through. Let me assure you that is not our policy to let cases to go unanswered, and for this we can only offer our apologies.

The download link is in the process of being removed - but any track you want to download/re-download, can you make sure to click the Downloads tab on the left of the screen, and then right-click the track you want to get, and select 'Get Track'.

(how many times must I tell them that no such thing happens! There is NO "Get track" when I right click on a track! When I right click on a track the pop up menu does have in the list-"get replacement" BUT! when I choose that option  it only opens up my list of local files! I cannot use up my remaining unused downloads.)

In answer to your other questions, Spotify is phasing out the purchase of individual tracks to concentrate 100% on streaming - obviously existing agreements with our customers who have bought tracks will be honoured, but we have no plans to re-implement buying tracks in the future as a feature of Spotify.

Your Unlimited subscription allows you unlimited access to our library for streaming tracks - obviously not to buy songs as they were billed for individually, and this will remain unaffected in the future.

If you require any more help or information, then don't hesitate to ask.

Kind regards,

Harvey, Customer Support Team

So there you have it folks direct from Spotify!

Thanks for sharing that is more information than I could get my hands on! 

As for not seeing the "Get Track" link, are you using the desktop or the web client? As far as I am aware (and I have just checked) I still have the option to get tracks in the desktop version. 

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

"In answer to your other questions, Spotify is phasing out the purchase of individual tracks to concentrate 100% on streaming - obviously existing agreements with our customers who have bought tracks will be honoured, but we have no plans to re-implement buying tracks in the future as a feature of Spotify."

Well, that's a total bummer.
I don't really see why you would not want to sell downloads, but I will certainly miss it...

Anyone looking for high quality DRM free tracks I would recommend 7digital.

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

So now we know spotify indeed will only offer a streaming service and stops selling downloads.

Myself I'm very disappointed by this move and will look at alternatives which allow me to buy and stream music. I use the streaming option to find new artists and then buy their music to support them.

Wonder when apple starts with their streaming offer but for now I'll take a look at Deezer

Yeah seems pretty silly to me, why take away functionality, I don't really see how they can improve streaming much more.

In reply to Hammeh, re :quote:-As for not seeing the "Get Track" link, are you using the desktop or the web client?

Yes I have spotify on my desktop.

Suggested posts