Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify stopped selling download credits

Solved!

Spotify stopped selling download credits

Hi,

Noticed a couple of days ago I was no longer able to buy credits to buy MP3's."(At this moment it's not possible to buy downloads from Spotify, click here for more information)"

The link provided only said: "At this moment we don't offer an option to buy new downloads on spotify however you can still use download credits you already have".

-> When will Spotify again allow us to buy download credits?

PS. really bad timing to stop this before X-mas

153 Replies

Can I just say, I'm extremely disappointed. Today, I bought two Spotify gift cards- £30 and £10, hoping to buy 60 tracks. I was considering using the money to save for an MP3 Player instead, but I chose Spotify. I come home, and to my unfortunate surprise, I find that I can't even buy songs anyway. Why are gift cards even on sale? Why haven't I been previously notified? Why can I still redeem codes? 

£40 down the toilet.

You should still be able to use those gift cards for downloads if it says so on the card. See this FAQ.

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Nope. I've redeemed the codes, and I it doesn't show the points I've bought in Spotify. I logged out and back in, closed it down and reopened it. I still get the message saying that I can't purchase.

Really? This is pretty poor - I really wish spotify had some competion so I could switch - they really do not know how to treat their members.

@Rabuck wrote:

Nope. I've redeemed the codes, and I it doesn't show the points I've bought in Spotify. I logged out and back in, closed it down and reopened it. I still get the message saying that I can't purchase.

I would suggest you get in touch with customer support using the online contact form as they might be able to assist you further. 

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

well.

well well.

then its finished.

i was ready to pay, for the premium abo as for the downloads.

no more downloads = no more abo.

sorry spotify.

Can somebody at Spotify clarify what is happening with purchase of downloads please? Is this temporary or permanent? If temporary, are we talking days/weeks or weeks/months before service is resumed?

Got a bundle of tracks I want to buy and would like to know if I now need to purchase elsewhere.

I posted same question on Christmas Eve but no response. Please tell us!  

What a shame. Spotify has been so convenient place to buy music from. I guess I'll have to consider quitting my djing hobby since buying songs from here and there would take so much more time in the future. For how long are the artists going to happily give their music just for streaming?

@Puppepossu wrote:

What a shame. Spotify has been so convenient place to buy music from. I guess I'll have to consider quitting my djing hobby since buying songs from here and there would take so much more time in the future. For how long are the artists going to happily give their music just for streaming?

Same thing here. Just found out this and it has been biggest heartstopper of the year although part of me still can't believe this.  Now wouldn't say I am dropping the djing but guess I'll have to find another means of buying music (goes for streaming also). 

I also am a bit offended about the amount of information given to loyal customers prior taking downloads offline.

Oh well, it's been nice until this so I'll just quote Douglas Adams then: "So long and thanks for the fish!"

Ps...also wondering if this has something to do with the Metallica-deal...? X-D

I have the same problem. I signed up for the thirty day trail and paid. I tried to download spotify and nothing happened. Now I am reading the same problem with no response.  This is not a good start.

Spotify sent me two e-mails saying to log into the community to read a private message. Well, where is it ?

You can send me an e-mail, but not an answer. I am not impressed. Your best is sadly lacking.

Well, I joined a free 1 month premium membership and was about to continue to pay each month just to be able to buy tracks and download them, but when they decide to remove that I will cancel my account right away and join iTunes instead.

Great work Spotify, you will loose many customers now!!!

Since posting a few days ago, I've done a bit of research to see if there are any viable alternatives to Spotify that allow you to download songs as well as stream them, create playlists, share music etc.

Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be anything worthy of Spotify's vast library of songs and overall useability.  

I had a look at Songbird thinking it could be a viable alternative.  It allows you to create playlists and then uses 7Digital as a music store (which is what Spotify used to do) and there are plenty of Add-Ons for this app, including one that says it can link Songbird with Spotify.  I thought that this would mean that Playlists could be imported from Spotify, but it doesn't seem to be the case.  It is also not as user-friendly as Spotify, my first impression being that the interface is over-complicated and cluttered.

Back to square one!!

I wonder if Spotify would consider linking up with 7Digital again or at least allowing Add-Ons, such as the ones used in Songbird, that allow you to export a playlist to their website in order to purchase the music?  It's just frustrating that you have to search for the songs again, one-by-one, in another website in order to buy them.

I understand that streaming is most likely the future of music and owning hard copies of tracks will soon be defunct.  However, for the time being wireless internet is not available EVERYWHERE in the world and until it is we should still have the option of buying and owning this music...so listen up Spotify and bring back the option to download!!

PS - if you're reading Mr Spotify, check out this recent article:

http://www.digitalmusicnews.com/permalink/2012/120920spotifynpd

Surely the statistics don't lie.

I don't know if they are referring to the private message they sent to me which I copied and pasted above a couple of days ago.  I told them that I had done this because nobody was getting the truth on the forum, in fact nobody has really been told anything on the forum except for the message I copied and pasted regarding this matter.

Furthermore, they still haven't resolved the issue regarding the re-downloads. Why does it say I have 4 left on each track and with no link to re-download? Their reply to this was a link to a Spotify playlist telling me  otherwise *quote"   to have a nice day! How RUDE IS THAT?  Why send a link to say that? Can't they just say it?

Is anybody able to recommend another music site to purchase music. The one thing I enjoyed about spotify is that I was able to purchase tracks from Albums that are no longer available to purchase in shops or online in general.

7Digital has got a massive back catalogue of millions of songs...this seems to be the best one for me.  I think you will be able to find the majority of stuff from Spotify on here:

http://www.7digital.com/

Thank you!!

No probs 🙂

It's not as easy as just clicking "download all" on a Spotify playlist but its as good as it gets for the time being.

In an attempt to get something more public than an email/PM, I asked one of Spotify's Twitter accounts about it too, and got this:

1: Hi Lloyd, we are in the process of removing this feature and currently there are no plans for it to return. The

2: reason for it's removal is so we can focus on our main goal: offering the best music streaming service possible /G

(https://twitter.com/SpotifyCares/status/285769159982329857 and https://twitter.com/SpotifyCares/status/285769228290764801)

The same stuff really, but I haven't seen a public message from them anywhere else.

@Viprex wrote:

Well, I joined a free 1 month premium membership and was about to continue to pay each month just to be able to buy tracks and download them, but when they decide to remove that I will cancel my account right away and join iTunes instead.

Great work Spotify, you will loose many customers now!!!

There might be a little confusion here. Being on the Premium service allows you to sync playlists from the Spotify catalog onto the Spotify application on a variety of devices. This is different from the download store which would require a payment for each track. 

When on the Premium service, head to the top of one of your playlists and select "Available Offline" (also called "Download Playlist" on Android devices). This will sync that playlist to that device. For example, if you've got an iPod Touch and want to sync a playlist, just download the Spotify app from the App Store, log in and sync away! 

Airhorn Enthusiast

If I were the manager of Spotify, I would auction the music selling rights instead of just stopping it. Why not get a lot of money and keep the customers happy as well?

Suggested posts