Spotify username changed to random alphanumerical string

Spotify username changed to random alphanumerical string

Free Spotify

USA

Device

Mac (using app)

Operating System

macOS Mojave

I was using spotify today when I saw that the username listed for my profile on the spotify web app was a random string of letters and numbers, which was not my previous username. I didn't change this myself (I'm not even sure if you can), but when I restarted the app, the username was normal again, but as my display name, not the username it showed before. Additionally, the username has not changed on my account overview in settings. I read a couple other solutions to problems similar to mine, but I remember setting my username when I first made my account. I've also had this account for a few months; it's weird that a problem like this would rear its head so late into my account history. Does anyone know how to fix this?

Screen Shot 2020-06-27 at 9.26.00 PM.png
1 Reply

Hey there @jin_ling!

Welcome to the Community and thanks for reaching out.

All new Spotify accounts have an automatically created username that usually is a string of letters and numbers. This allows our users to be able to choose a display name. 

If you only see the auto-generated username you can take a look here to see how to set up a display name.

The automatically generated username should show only on your account overview page as an unique indicator for your account.

We hope this info helps. Let us know if you have any other questions.

ElenaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Suggested posts