Step 1

NEXT STEP

Stolen Laptop / Contacting or finding the user

Stolen Laptop / Contacting or finding the user

Plan

Premium

Ivory Coast

Device

iPhone SE, Macbook Pro, HP Omen (stolen)

Operating System

iOs and Windows X

My Question or Issue

Hi all.

Unfortunately, on April 11th, I got robbed during the night and my laptop and phones got stolen. I got the footage of the thief, I was at the police station but the investigation didn't achieve a result.

Nevertheless, a few weeks later, I started noticing that my account was used from my old device. Indeed, really often the music changes or is already running when I try to use mine (on my computer or my phone).

It is used through the device "Web Player (Chrome)". I know for sur that no one has my login or password, and I wouldn't think about a coincidence regarding the beginning of this phenomenon and the recent theft of my computer.

I don't necessarily want to log out of everything, because it seems like my spotify account is my last link with my old computer. I would like to know if it could be possible to join the people using my account ? I have been trying by playing them songs with obvious titles (by using keywords in my choice of music, like stolen, thief, and so on...).

I understand that due to the law, I can't have the IP address of the computer, but would it be possible to transfer a message to them (you are using a stolen laptop and its owner would like to get it back, or something ?).

I also saw an old post saying that if the police was requiring it, you could provide them the connection information, is it something we could do ?

I know that some time passed since it happened but I never disconnected my account only because I kept hope about finding my stuff again. They keep using my account daily. This happened during the confinement, and due to that I couldn't take care of this before (I live in a country where it is really expensive to buy computers or phones and I had to wait to be able to go back to Europe to buy new ones).

Thanks for your kind help.

6 Replies

Hey @Paindmie,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community. As of right now, no one can track who is using your Spotify account and where. But if you think someone is hacking your account I would recommend you try doing some of these steps.

1. Change Password

2. Logout everywhere(note, please do this step AFTER you have changed your password because you don't know if this person just changed it or not.)

3. Log back in

For more information about this, I'd recommend you look at this page for more information.

I hope this helps.

Thanks Joel-M,

It really is not about the Spotify account, but more about the stolen laptop and the fact that my Spotify account could be my last chance to contact the user of my equipment.

Is it completely useless to try something, like you seem to be telling me ?

Thanks for your quick answer.

Hey, @Paindmie 
Welcome to Spotify Community and thanks for reaching out here!

It's really bad to know that. But on the other hand, I'm also glad to know that there is hope... I've been checked with the moderation team and the best to do on your case would be to submit a formal claim with the local authorities about the stolen devices. Once you've done so, the authorities can get in touch with our customer support team using formal correspondence to request the necessary information. Our folks will be able to assist with this.

If you have any other further questions or need more help, let me know! I'd love to help!

Best Regards,
hezorg

LuanSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Hi hezorg !

A complaint has already been made. What contact should I give to the local authorities in order for them to contact you ?

Thanks a lot for your help !

Hi @Hezorg, any news ? Thanks again 🙂

Hey again, @Paindmie 

I'm so sorry for the big delay in answering you. I know this is an urgent situation, but I just got the opportunity to answer you now. 

About your last question, you can find all the contact information here. I don't know how exactly the police would act in this situation, but these are the channels Spotify can be contacted for, including the addresses of all offices around the world.

If you have any other further questions or need more help, let me know! I'd love to help!

Best Regards,
hezorg

LuanSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Suggested posts