Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Streaming to multiple Chromecast devices not working anymore

Streaming to multiple Chromecast devices not working anymore

Since about 2 weeks I cannot simultaneously stream Spotify from my phone (iPhone 7) to my Chromecast devices (Chromecast Audio and a JBL Playlist 150) anymore. This has worked flawlessly for at least a year.

Whenever I cannot a single device it works fine, but when trying to connect to the group, the connection fails.

When I am connected to one of the devices and then try to connect to the group, the already connected device will stop playing and will indicate that Spotify has been halted because it is being used on another device.

In very few instances (succeeded twice while trying 50 times or so) I can get it to work by connecting one device and then quickly connecting the other. No clue why.

All devices are on the latest firmware/OS.

Does this ring a bell to anyone?

2 Replies

Hey there,

Spotify is only licensed to sell 'personal' subscriptions which means you can only stream on one device at a time. If you have premium you can sync playlists offline and then force them into offline mode. That will allow you to play music on more than one device at a time, but you can only ever have one active streaming device.

Thanks for replying!

The devices are in a local Google Home group, so the streaming devices are playing in Sync (similar to Sonos I would say).

If this is true, Spotify does not support a wireless multi-speaker setup for a single user?? For me, I want to have the same music in our studio (living area and cooking area in a U-shape and wired solution does not work for me.

Is this enforced since recent only? It worked fine ever since I bought the devices.

Suggested posts