Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

The painfully slow process of recovering a hacked spotify account...

The painfully slow process of recovering a hacked spotify account...

I had to create this account because my original premium account "fatalaid" was hacked into 3 days ago....and I still don't have access to it. Why? All because the hacker changed the email address, which essentially locks me out of my own account - while I'm still paying for it.

This could've be EASILY prevented if spotify sends a verification code to the old email, if the user wants to change it to a new one. Or at the very least, if spotify implemented a 3-day waiting period to change emails. 

But oh no...I get the pleasure of emailing their support to recover my account while the hacker enjoys my tunes. They take 24 hours to reply each time. First, I had to wait a day for them to ask me for my spotify username (even though I'm emailing them from the same address I used to create my account). Then another day for them to ask me for my credit card details. Then another day for them to ask me for a spotify premium receipt number. Like really? You guys could've asked me for this stuff in ONE email. Why 3 seperate emails over 3 different days?

It's like I'm being punished for being hacked...as if losing access to my account isn't bad enough. But instead, spotify feels the need to put me through this waiting ritual to teach me the values of patience and achieving inner peace.

I guess the lesson is...don't get hacked. Honestly, if this happens to anyone out there, it'd be faster to just cancel your credit card, and subscribe to some other service. If you're a hacker though, you're in luck. The burden of proof is all on the original user, so you can kick back, relax, play some of those juicy hacked tunes and wait it out. 

If spotify support ever reads this, for the love of god, please implement a security check if the user wants to change emails. Or at least tell hacked users ALL your requirements and verification details in one email so that users can get back to their music within 24 hours. Getting access to your own account must be quick and easy, not slow and painful.

15 Replies

I could not agree more. There is no 800 number, no click-to chat, absolutely no support if you're compromised. It might be faster to send a letter via regular mail to regain access to your account. It is the most horrible process I have ever seen of any modern company. I feel extremely helpless right now as someone is logged into my account with access to all of my account information, and there is absolutely nothing I can do about it. I had to use this account just to post about my experience.

I have emailed Spotify via their "support" forms. I have sent emails to support@spotify.com and info@spotify.com. I have tweeted them @Spotify and @SpotifyCares. Nothing. They have been kind enough to post other things on Twitter while I am waiting for their response though.. So that's fun.

I always told people how much I absolutely loved my Spotify. This single experience is driving me toward cancellation and Amazon music. I hate to be that customer, but I never want to go through this again.

I feel your pain.

I hear you dude. And being compromised isn't exactly fun. It's when you need their support the most! What a let down it has been. I used to love spotify too, was raving about it to anyone who hasn't used it before. But now, I have to warn them that their support is terrible. Probably the slowest one I've seen so far for a paid service.

For the first time in a long time, I'm looking at the alternatives out there. Like apple music, tidal, pandora, what have you. Looking into their customer support quality too, cause I know that's important now.

Right?! I figured I'd be able to restore my account with a few clicks, not a few weeks.

Well, sometime next month, when we finally get back into our accounts, remind me to email the person who hijacked our accounts. I'll ask them what they thought of our playlists..

🙂

Haha I don't plan to wait that long mate. Already found a solid alternative called Deezer. It was a good ride Spotify.

Same problem. Got hacked almost a month ago, tried everything: changing password, email. Useless. Today the hacker deleted my account. Spotify supports sucks.

Hey @fatalaid2@anjohn17, and @diema1197, welcome to the community!

I'm terribly sorry to hear about your account being compromised. Spotify accounts are more than likely compromised because the password used on the Spotify account was used on another website which had a data breach. To keep your accounts secure, make sure to use strong and unique passwords for each online account you have.  Password managers like 1Password and LastPass make it easy to manage all your accounts. 

Once your Spotify account is compromised the easiest way to recover your account is to contact Spotify is through Twitter (@SpotifyCares) or their anonymous online contact form. You'll be asked for multiple details on your account to verify that it is you. Please note that it may take a while for responses to this issue since they proceed with caution. If it's been more than 48 hours without a response, reply to the e-mail you received confirming they got your message or if you contacted through Twitter, send them another tweet. If all else fails, you can post here on the community and we'll have a moderator get in contact with you to get your case to the right team.

I'll chase this topic up to the moderators to let them know about your experiences with customer service team and to escalate your cases so you can get back to your music asap. Your feedback will definitely be looked at for improvements in the process of recovering an account.

If your case is resolved, please click the 'Accept as Solution' button and add your kudos!

Literally just made an account just let you know that is all false. 24 hours just to hear a reply? Unacceptable. I could understand if it's a free service but if I'm paying for something it needs to be taken care of in a timely manner. Emailing and tweets? Are you serious. Do not waste my time. You guys are a joke if you think this is a good method of customer support for people who are paying.

I didn't realize it was that easy to hack someones account. You have NO way to stop any low level hacker from stealing your customers accounts. No one is going to change their password every week because Spotify has **bleep**ty security for their PAYING customers.

Also you morons are quicker to send me an email on an account I just made trying to sway me to upgrade to a paying account as opposed to fixing the darn problem with the account I'm already paying for.

Real genius at work lmao

You have also managed to send me 2 emails and a PM (on this site) in less than 10 minutes so yea. Consider that subscription lost to your stupidity. And we all know how word of mouth is so I'm gonna be real quick to spread the word that you have a better chance of hacking an account than actually paying for one.

Any random hacker can swipe an account and enjoy a paid Spotify account for a few days/weeks/months with no risk because Spotify isn't taking action to secure accounts or have proper security measures for paying customers. GJ boys

@Merik

I appreciate the information, but I have used literally every avenue to contact Spotify without success. They did reply to me on Twitter after 12 hours to tell me someone would contact me immediately. That was 2 days ago.. There is absolutely no urgency by anyone on the Spotify team to assist its compromised users. I haven't even received a single email from Spotify. Not one.

Also, I work in IT. I know the importance of password security. I do not reuse passwords, and all my passwords are complex, alphanumeric/symbol based passwords. I can only think that Spotify suffered from a data breach that they are not willing to admit. If you read the topics on this forum, it seems that one out of five is asking for help with a compromised account. That throws a lot of red flags for me.

I certainly appreciate your assistance, but a paying user should never have to wait 48+ hours to resolve an account issue of this caliber. I also agree with the other user that posted. Twitter and email are not appropriate methods of support if they are your only options. At some point, issues like this need to be escalated to a live person.

As a customer, I have never felt more undervalued by a company in my life.

Hey guys!

Apologies for the delay, but I'm positive I can get this looked and fixed for you.

To do so, could you let me know the 8 digit case # for your contacts to support? these should be located in the subject line of any emails that you've received from us.

If you haven't already been in touch with the Accounts team, please reach out to them over at https://support.spotify.com/contact-spotify-support/.

I'm sure that I can get this looked into with you!

Hi Jason.

I appreciate any help you can provide. As mentioned, no one has attempted to contact me to resolve my issue. I received a message on Twitter that someone would contact me, but no one has. I have written to @Spotify and @SpotifyCares on Twitter. I have emailed info@Spotify.com and Support@spotify.com. I have filled out the form on the support website. Nothing.

I wish I had a case number to give you because this is the worst experience I've ever had with a paid service.

@anjohn17

It looks like the team followed up by email last week and worked to get things fixed up for you. We've passed on all of the feedback in this thread to the right people so we can work to improve. 

Do let us know if there's anything else we can help with in the future. 

Rumours are all over the wed that spotify wS hacked again around 26/4/16. Since this, we have been unable to access our family subscription accounts. Trying to contact Spotify is so slow and time consuming. Is there anyone else that cannot access third account or is it just me? Also, was the situation resolved or are you still waiting?? Any help would be appreciated.

Should read Web and was -sorry

Suggested posts