Plan

Free

Country

Germany

Operating System

Windows 10

My Question or Issue

Hi,

sorry if this is a repost, I can not find similar posts like this.

Lately I found that my list of favourite songs includes countless ones that are completely unknown to me as well as unknown playlists saved to my account.

I deleted these once before but today a new batch of playlists and songs came into view.
What in nine hells is going on, community?

12 Replies
Highlighted

Re: Unknown favourites/playlists in my list

CrescentFresh
Casual Listener

This is happening to me as well. I have used the 'logout of every device' feature and only reconnected my computer and cell to make sure it wasn't a rogue session from a long time ago. As best I can tell this is being used to pump up the # of listens for new artists or playlist curators. It's like gaming the system and buying twitter followers to make yourself seem more important or to try and go viral. I have never heard of a single song or artist that has shown up in my play queue history or on the playlists that were magically added to my account. I have deleted them so guess I need to stick around and wait for it to happen again to be more helpful. Hope we find a fix.

Highlighted

Rock Star 7
Rock Star 7

Hi @Puffin502 and welcome to Spotify Community! 🙂
It looks like you listed the subscription as Free in your plan details. If so, then the mystery songs and playlists you are seeing are likely the suggestions made by Spotify. There are a couple articles you can check out regarding this and the Premium vs. Free features.

How Can I Stop Suggested Songs?

What's different about Spotify's free experience on Mobile?

I hope this was useful and have a wonderful day! 🙂

Bethany_DawnRock Star 7
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.
Highlighted

Puffin502
Regular

Hi Bethany,

thanks for your reply, I guess that is an explanation to the phenomenon but I am far from happy with this feature.

I get that Spotify and artists are interested in promotion. But I already get personalized recommendations right on my homescreen based on my favourited music, based on my playlists AND based on my recently listened to tracks.

Adding songs into my "Favourites" folder feels like tampering and it clutters said folder because these tracks can't be un-favoured en masse.
A homescreen ad says "You might like this"
But an added Favourite says "You like this"

And look where this has gotten us? I honestly thought my account was possibly hacked/messed with.
This is a terrible move by Spotify.

Highlighted

Hey @Puffin502.

Thanks for your feedback on this - we appreciate it 🙂

We just wanted to clarify that the following is expected behaviour on the free version on mobile:

• If you have less than 15 songs in your Favorite Songs, we'll add more songs.
  • You will see a message telling you that the extra songs were added by us, but they can be replaced by adding more songs.

If any of you are experiencing something different to this, let us know and we'll look into it further. 

If you would like to suggest a change or improvement to the app, we invite you to create an idea in the Community by going here. You can get other users to vote for it, and the more votes it gets, the more likely it is to be implemented in future.

Hope that helps!

PeterModerator

Highlighted

Puffin502
Regular

I don't use Spotify on mobile though, I use it on Windows 10.
And I do have more than 15 of my own chosen favourites.

I already deleted a hundred songs in june alone with yet more songs YOU added to my favourites.

As I already said I understand the mindset behind adding songs by less known artists. But this is horrendous. I barely find my own songs between row upon row of songs that are definitely NOT my favourite!

Highlighted

Hey @Puffin502.

Thanks for getting back to us 🙂

Do you mind sending us a screenshot showing how the added songs appear in your desktop app? This is to make sure that this is expected behaviour rather than something we need to look into further.

Thanks! We'll be looking out for your reply 😉

PeterModerator

Highlighted

Puffin502
Regular

My favourites from my latest own entry to the to the second to last at the very bottom of the third screenshotMy favourites from my latest own entry to the to the second to last at the very bottom of the third screenshotSpotify2.pngSpotify1.png

Highlighted

Hey @Puffin502.

Thanks for the screenshots 🙂

It looks like these songs are in your Liked Songs playlist on desktop (not to be confused with Songs, which appears in the Your Library column). Whenever you like ('heart') a song in a Made for You playlist (Daily Mix, Discover Weekly, Release Radar), it gets saved to this playlist, which is automatically created after you start liking songs in these playlists.

Just to be sure, do you remember ever liking these songs in one of the above-mentioned playlists, and if not, then do you at least recognise the songs in this playlist, or are they completely unfamiliar?

Thanks! We'll be looking out for your reply 🙂

PeterModerator

Highlighted

Puffin502
Regular

No, I never liked any of these songs, I haven't listened to any of them, these are songs 100% unknown to me. I don't peruse the Release Radar or other lists except for the Mixtapes. None of these belong in these though.

SUGGESTED POSTS