Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs

Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.

Loading article...

Loading faqs...

Ongoing Issues

Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.

Loading issue...

Loading ongoing issues...

Update Plan Manager

Solved!

Update Plan Manager

Is there a way to change the Plan Manager on a Premium / Family Account?

My email address is being deactivated and I want to make another one of my active family accounts the new plan manager so I can delete the old one.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hello @ZonEcho!

Thanks for coming to the Spotify Community. I'll try to help you clear things up. In this case, you don't have to delete your account associated with an old email, you should be able to change the email address for your Spotify account following these steps.

If you would like to change the manager of your Family plan anyways, the plan manager of the existing Premium Family plan can cancel the plan, and then a different member of your residence can start a new Premium Family plan as the plan manager.

The plan manager for the current Premium Family plan can cancel the existing plan by following these steps:

1. Log into spotify.com/account
  2. Under Your plan, click Change Plan
  3. Scroll to Spotify Free and click Cancel Premium

At your next billing date, the accounts of each member of the Premium Family plan will switch to the free plan. At this time, the plan manager for the new Premium Family plan can start the plan here and then invite the other members.

You can also read more about how the Premium Family plan works in this support article.

Make sure to let me know if you have any questions and hope you have a nice day 🙂

Jose_MSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

View solution in original post

34 Replies
Marked as solution

Hello @ZonEcho!

Thanks for coming to the Spotify Community. I'll try to help you clear things up. In this case, you don't have to delete your account associated with an old email, you should be able to change the email address for your Spotify account following these steps.

If you would like to change the manager of your Family plan anyways, the plan manager of the existing Premium Family plan can cancel the plan, and then a different member of your residence can start a new Premium Family plan as the plan manager.

The plan manager for the current Premium Family plan can cancel the existing plan by following these steps:

1. Log into spotify.com/account
  2. Under Your plan, click Change Plan
  3. Scroll to Spotify Free and click Cancel Premium

At your next billing date, the accounts of each member of the Premium Family plan will switch to the free plan. At this time, the plan manager for the new Premium Family plan can start the plan here and then invite the other members.

You can also read more about how the Premium Family plan works in this support article.

Make sure to let me know if you have any questions and hope you have a nice day 🙂

Jose_MSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

In 2023, this is ridiculous.
I just want to change the 'owner' of my existing plan to another user on the same plan.
How is this not just a tickbox exercise, rather than needing all users to downgrade to a 'free' plan?
Playlists etc aside, this causes a disruption to service.

I totally agree - why can’t I just change the plan manager. So annoying and tedious.

completely agree, Spotify you need to make it easier to change plan manager

Same. As only Plan Manager can access the audiobooks (for free) we wish to switch from current manager (who doesn't want access to audiobooks) to me (who does). Seems simple enough but cancelling, losing premium features and then starting afresh seems ridiculously convoluted.

The audiobook reason is why I want to change plan manager too, but it's too much hassle to do this if we need to cancel and then start again 

Yeah this is a terribly convoluted solution. I'd expect better. Spotify need to sort this out asap

I completely agree. This was not made clear when setting up the family account . My daughter is our plan manager (I have only just realised this), but I am paying the bill! 
Such a shame as every other aspect of setting up and using Spotify has  gone so well

This a terrible solution given the audiobook limitation. Are there any plans to change the audiobook permissions?

Same issue here. My wife is plan manager and I want to use the free audiobook time. Such a poor customer experience with this. Either make plan manager changes easier or let them pass the time to family members. 

Not really a viable solution

Hi,Spotify - if you're reading these comments - my wife and I also think this is a ridiculous workaround. I have been plan manager for 6 years - audiobooks were not available then. I have no interest in audiobooks, but she does. I cannot gift my hours to her, or change her to plan manager... You know the rest. Your proposed workaround is extremely poor.

This is rubbish Spotify, sort it out! Everyone should be able to get audiobooks, OR you should be able to easily change plan manager OR pay extra for all accessing audiobooks

Found this thread due to the audiobook limitation. Quite a poor solution. Spotify really should be easing this friction if it really wants to be the home of audio…

Not an ideal work around whatsoever. Either simplify the switching of account manager or give an option of who can use the audiobook access.  

Spotify sort this out asap!

I’m extremely disappointed to find out that I can’t access my audio books anymore since the plan manager is under my sister, but she doesn’t even use the feature. When upgrading to the family plan, it wasn’t made CLEAR AT ALL that I’m not going to be able to access them anymore. It literally even says that family plan is “like premium plan” , but it’s not is it? To now change the plan owner, we have to all go to free, lose everything and start again? This is actually ridiculous. I’m extremely disappointed, as if I would’ve known this I wouldn’t have suggested the family plan. We all should be able to use this feature for the price we pay! Or have a limit of certain amount per family to use the audio books. I can’t now finish the books I’ve started. Please sort this out Spotify! 

@Spotify - any response please? Lots of users are wanting a solution to the issues identified....

This isn’t a solution Jose. You may as well have just told us to subscribe to audible as a “solution” to wanting to be able to listen to audiobooks. This topic is definitely not “solved”.

Reading between the lines it’s clear there’s a dull techy reason why only the plan manager can listen to audio books. Be that a rights issue or something to do with other plan members not having payment details set up on their accounts so not appearing to be fully “premium” in your back end. 
But from a user perspective this makes no sense. We’re paying for a premium service for all of our plan members. That’s the whole point. And if your rights means only one person can listen to audiobooks on a plan, you should do the coding necessary to allow us to whose who it is on the plan that gets the access. 
Get this fixed quickly or we will be off. 

Have premium duo… checked my wife’s Spotify and it says it is a premium account but couldn’t work out why she couldn’t acces the audio books but I could. Found only the plan manager can listen.. ok, I will make her the plan manager as I don’t want or need the audio books. Next minute I am here learning that I would need to delete my account which I have had for years, wait a month until we switch to the free plan… then re sign up to premium duo using her account. wth. So much for having two premium accounts… super disappointed. 

Suggested posts