Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

What is the maximum bitrate I can stream with on spotify, if having an unlimited account?

Solved!

What is the maximum bitrate I can stream with on spotify, if having an unlimited account?

The title says it all:

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey! Welcome to the community 🙂

Streaming is normally at 160 kbps on desktop (normal quality), only premium users can stream at 320kbps (high quality).

More information about stream quality can be found here.

Peter 

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

View solution in original post

8 Replies
Marked as solution

Hey! Welcome to the community 🙂

Streaming is normally at 160 kbps on desktop (normal quality), only premium users can stream at 320kbps (high quality).

More information about stream quality can be found here.

Peter 

Peter

Hey! Thanks for the (fast) answer!

I was hoping unlimited gave maximum bitrate streaming. Oh well, premium it is then 🙂

Have a splendid day!

I posted this same question elsewhere today.  And I wanted to point out that the help section link does not specifically discuss home devices.  However, I am under the 'assumption' that home devices, such as a Roku 3, would stream at 320 kbps when the listener is a Spotify Premium member?

@rexford237 wrote:

I posted this same question elsewhere today.  And I wanted to point out that the help section link does not specifically discuss home devices.  However, I am under the 'assumption' that home devices, such as a Roku 3, would stream at 320 kbps when the listener is a Spotify Premium member?

That is correct, Spotify Premium customers can stream at 320kbps through partner devices such as Sonos and Roku providing the hardware supports that sound quality (and they both do!).

Peter

Peter

Wait....I just want to confirm something because I have not seen this information anywhere else.  If I have a premium account then the Spotify app on my Roku 3 will stream at 320kbps?

@willspoting wrote:

Wait....I just want to confirm something because I have not seen this information anywhere else.  If I have a premium account then the Spotify app on my Roku 3 will stream at 320kbps?

As far as I am aware it should. It was announced as 320kbps on the Roku Blog at launch:

http://blog.roku.com/blog/2012/12/20/spotify-now-playing-on-roku/

Peter

Its funny that Spotify does not advertise this more.  This is a big deal - especially to audiophiles.  You can find all sorts of people out there trying to figure out how to stream Spotify to their hi-fi decks.  This makes it dead simple.  Thanks!

I have Roku 2 and Yamaha RX-V675 receiver, both support Spotify. I understand thatfor premium subscribers, Roku is playing at 320 kbps by default. Is there a way to find out what is the bitrate on the Yamaha receiver?

Suggested posts