Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

A way to automatically turn Spotify off after some time?

Solved!

A way to automatically turn Spotify off after some time?

Is there any way, and if not - is there any official wishlist thread - so I could make Spotify stop playing music after some time (say: 2 hours)?

Reason is very simple - I tend to play music when going to sleep, and it would be great if it stopped after some time, to avoid playing all night long into the morning.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey there,

There's already an idea about a sleep timer here. Make sure to add your vote, since the more votes an idea gets, the more likely it is to be implemented. More info on how ideas work on Spotify can be found here.

In the meantime, and as @Sarahliz064 suggested, you can create a playlist with songs that amount to how long you want it to play. Just make sure you have Autoplay and Repeat turned off. 

All the best!

View solution in original post

20 Replies

Hi there, we have an ideas forum in which you can make suggestions to improve the user experience or suggest new features. What you are talking about has already been suggested in the forum and I suggest you add kudos to the idea to raise it's profile for a native timer.

http://community.spotify.com/t5/Spotify-Ideas/Sleep-Timer/idi-p/86269

The idea is actually on the back burner, but there are other apps to cater for your need such as: 

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ch.pboos.android.SleepTimer

Please use the search feature before posting a problem/bug/idea.
What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?
     Using Spotify Since March 10th 2009
     Twitter: @mechanimal82

Android Troubleshooting:
[COMPLETE GUIDE] How to fix most Android issues
Spotify Android Version History

I am laying in bed with the sleep playlist on wondering why they would make it on the homepage without an implemented shut off timer. It's good music to sleep to but not about that leaving my phone on all night life. Hope they put this on there, how hard could it be, compared to how many people would actually use it? 10-20% of customers weekly? 40-60% of customers at some point? It may not be something that will pursuance someone into buying it but if I'm already paying $10 a month, customer satisfaction is necessary for subscription 'services' as this.

if you have an iphone or apple product, you can go to clock, set a timer and under alarms scroll down to click "stop playing". after the timer is done, your music will go off. however, there is no way if this is on a laptop. 

Thanks this helps!

You actually can on windows!!! I have 8.1 and when i connect to my speaker to play music just set an alarm and it will mute the music. It won't turn it pause it but it does turn the music off. I haven't tried it with just a computer but with a blutooth speaker it works. 

This did not work for me. The timer went to 00:00 and spotify continued playing.

Thank you so much

If you have your Playlist not on a repeated loop, it should pause after the last sing. Which is close enough to turning off. Hope that helps!

When i do that, an "alarm" sounds turns on and there's no way for me to stop it unless I go to my phone and click a button. I want to be able to fall asleep to the music and have it turn off without switching to an alarm sound

you have to choose "stop playing" as the alarm tone....it's near the bottom of the list.

Thx so much ❤️

Thank you, this is exactly what i needed 😊👍🏼

Thanks so much this helped a lot!!!

If you are using an Android device you can try this app:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.smholsen.sleeptimerallmedia

You can read more about it here: http://sleeptimerforandroid.com/

It lets you set a timer and then it fades out the music and pauses the player after the times has passed. You can lock your screen and everything. Also it is free

I play it when I go to sleep but then I can't turn it off because I am asleep so it runs till morning then I get annoyed

Hi!

You can actually just close the app after you have started the timer!

Also, I am working on an update for the app which will bring additional features, including a "close app" option 🙂

Hope this helps

Best thing is to download Pandora they seem to be a few steps ahead of spotify. It has sleep and wake timers 

Please, I use IOS. Not Android.

Ok, but what about for Windows on PC?

Suggested posts