Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Adding local music on android device

Solved!

Adding local music on android device

How does this work?

I read through the information on help page (https://support.spotify.com/ee/learn-more/guides/#!/article/Listen-to-local-files/?in=search). It tells me to tal on local files in step 6. But i do not have this option. Does this really mean that i can only listen to local files if im in same wifi network with my laptop/desktop computer? 

I actually have all my music downloaded into my android phone. I went out and bought fast 32gb memory card for the reason. Only issue is - i cannot add my own local music into spotify on android and it sucks.

Alan

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hi @OdifYItsaeb,

I can definitely tell you that you can listen to your local music files.
I give you another little instruction:
1. First of all you should go into the Spotify Settings onto your PC.
2. When you scroll down you find a section called like "local files". If you get there you turn these buttons on, if they're not already...(You can also add your own Folder Path, that's how I handle it)
3. Your music should now be listed in Spotify. If not, restart Spotify.(Also make sure that your music is mp3)
4. Now you have to add the songs to a playlist you've created in Spotify.
5. This should be the last step: Take your phone and make the playlist where you add the music available offline.(Don't forget while doing this, that Spotify on your Pc and Phone are opened at the same time and they should be on the same Network in that progress)
-> After that you should be able to listen to this music everywhere.

This should be it, Ihope i could help you!

Quanty

View solution in original post

14 Replies
Marked as solution

Hi @OdifYItsaeb,

I can definitely tell you that you can listen to your local music files.
I give you another little instruction:
1. First of all you should go into the Spotify Settings onto your PC.
2. When you scroll down you find a section called like "local files". If you get there you turn these buttons on, if they're not already...(You can also add your own Folder Path, that's how I handle it)
3. Your music should now be listed in Spotify. If not, restart Spotify.(Also make sure that your music is mp3)
4. Now you have to add the songs to a playlist you've created in Spotify.
5. This should be the last step: Take your phone and make the playlist where you add the music available offline.(Don't forget while doing this, that Spotify on your Pc and Phone are opened at the same time and they should be on the same Network in that progress)
-> After that you should be able to listen to this music everywhere.

This should be it, Ihope i could help you!

Quanty

Yeah, that is pretty much how i understood it would work. 

This feels so counter-intuitive though. I can copy all the songs to my phone - why would i do that through the pc?

I guess i'll test it out though. Feels kinda stupid to move gigabytes of music over WIFI when i can do it over usb cable. 

If you want to listen to all your music, weather your local files or trough Spotify, via Spotify that's a simple way to do that without a cable and harldy moving files...
You don't have to use Spotify to listen to your local files @OdifYItsaeb ;D

Quanty

Hey Quanty,

I did the exact things u did before and it worked then,

now i'm trying it again (2 months later) and it doenst seem to work.

Here's what i did:
I put my music in a map (mp3) in my download folder (spotify shows it on my pc)
I drag it from the local folder in spotify to a new playlist (and also to a old one)
I can listen to it on my computer

I can also see the new playlist with the songs on my mobile (android), only on my mobile the songs are black and wenn i drag the offline button so it downloads. It then says waiting for download, and nothing happends.

Spotify is open on my pc and my mobile, same wifi (from my home)

Tried restarting my spotify on my pc and restarting mobile (turning wifi on and off, but doesnt seem to work 😞 )

Plz help me 🙂

That reply didnt make much sense.

I specifically wrote that i do want to use spotify to listen to all my local files, but i think that having to use laptop and wifi to transfer the files from pc to phone is kinda pointless when i could just add the files in android app, since they are available there already. Since i already uploaded the files to my phone. 

I just wanna say that this function isn't available in Spotify, Spotify is a Streaming Service and this is kind a need extra feature to listen to your local music. Spotify only provides the feature of local syncing your music which I found pretty good.

I see your point @OdifYItsaeb but the whish you have isn't possible. For the thing you want to use it, is a seperate Player good. And that's what I wanted to say in my previous post, maybe you missunderstood me.

Quanty

Ohwell... 

Guess i'll have to test just how well this local file listening works. If i can listen to those files, when my laptop is not running, then its all good. If i have to keep my laptop running to listen to those files, then it sucks donkey ass 😄

Hi @StephanMoeijes,
When you did it like you said above it should actually work.
I can only guess what it is: Maybe you have to go into your System Settings(Windows) and go to your Firewall configurations, if you are at this point you can see at the left side a option where you can let specific apps/programms through your firewall. Click on that and search for Spotify in that list and if there is no heel weather on private or public you have to make sure that there is a heel on the private Section at Spotify...I hope you can understand me, if not ask for further questions;)

Quanty

Yeah @OdifYItsaeb if you finished the progress you can of course listen to it without running your pc/laptop at the same time.

Quanty

OH MY GOD THANK YOU.

Thank you. It worked perfectly fine for me. Just a few easy steps.

Cheers,
Chris aka MatLi

No no no NO! This is NOT a solution! This is, at best, a workaround. I have a phone and I have mp3s which I already have downloaded on said phone. The words "PC" and "Desktop App" should NOT be uttered as a solution to enabling local files, i.e. ALREADY ON MY PHONE. This is idiotic. I'm paying a monthly subscription for this?

The proper simple way to do this. Use Microsoft Groove instead and add your music to OneDrive. Then your local music will be available on all Groove devices and integrate with your online library. None of this playlist workaround **bleep**...!

I agree with orcoapprentice, this is just dumb.  Spotify has all these bells and whistles, employs artificial intelligence to suggest what other songs I might like, playlists I should listen to, and other stuff that I never asked for not do I care about, but it can't play local files on the phone??  Something very simple and useful that I actually do give a s*** about ?  No, streaming files from another PC is not a "feature", it IS a workaround that makes very little sense.  Perhaps there's some business or license reason for doing so, but then just say so and stop pretending like it's no biggie and very normal for a music player.  

Suggested posts