Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Ads stop playing until I hit the back button

Solved!

Ads stop playing until I hit the back button

Plan

Free

Country

Canada

Device

Pendoo x10 MAX (Android TV Box)

Operating System

Android 9

My Question or Issue

Spotify stops ads a little more than half way through.  Specifically the mcdonalds one where it lists their COVID procedures, it just stops on the middle, but a lot of them do it.  The only thing I've found that helps is to hit the back button on my remote, then the wait swirl shows up and it moves to the next ad or usually just goes and plays my song.  If its a 30 minute no ad advert and it freezes, I don't get credit and usually it plays upwards of 3 other ads after hitting the back button.

I have tried deleting cache, deleting all data, and I also uninstalled and installed spotify today from google play and it still does this.  It's been doing it for two weeks or so, maybe even three.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey again @DarkPORT,

Thank you for your reply and for the troubleshooting steps you've taken so far 🙂

Get back to us after you've tried without the USB thumb drive.

We'll be on the lookout for your reply.

Take care 🙂 

JeremyModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

View solution in original post

9 Replies

Hey there @DarkPORT

Thanks for reaching out about this.

You mentioned that you've already reinstalled the Spotify app, but would you mind going through the steps of a clean reinstall, as it's more thorough than a normal one?

On another note, would you mind letting us know if this is happening across devices? 

Additionally, could you try using a different internet connection to check if the issue persists?

EniModerator

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

I did the clean install and nothing has changed.  I'm wondering if there was an update to spotify that just didn't sit well with my android box.  These boxes generally don't get updates done to them for android so maybe you guys put some new code that doesn't work well with my version?  It must be something with the android box, my Samsung Galaxy A5 goes through all the ads no problem on the same router.

Hi @DarkPORT

Thanks for quick reply 🙂

Would you mind checking if the firmware of your device is up-to-date?

On another note, we suggest that you disconnect your device from power and connect it back again. 

Lastly, we recommend restarting your router to check if that makes the difference. 

Let us know how it goes!

EniModerator

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

Well, the thing is these cheap android boxes don't really get updated. My
last update was 2019 and there are no updates for it as of right now. So I
am updated. Removing the power cord didn't change anything. I have
titanium backup from the first day I bought the box though, maybe it'll
work then

Hey there @DarkPORT,

Thank you for your reply and confirmation.

If you have an SD card we suggest that you uninstall the app > turn off your phone > take out your SD card > turn on the phone again (without the SD card) > reinstall the app since the card can be corrupted.

It would also be great if you can let us know if this occurs on one specific device or multiple devices?

We'll keep an eye out for your reply.

Take care!

JeremyModerator

I don't have any SD Card in it, but I do have a USB thumb drive, I'll try
with it out. Spotify works on my desktop PC and on my Samsung galaxy A5
without ads stopping.
Marked as solution

Hey again @DarkPORT,

Thank you for your reply and for the troubleshooting steps you've taken so far 🙂

Get back to us after you've tried without the USB thumb drive.

Take care 🙂 

JeremyModerator

OK the thumb drive had errors.  I should have made the connection if spotify puts a folder on an SD that it would do so with a thumbdrive too.  When I removed the spotify folder from the thumbdrive it would work for a half hour or so then freeze up again.  When I removed the thumbdrive completely I haven't had a problem since.  Windows did a scan and fix so I'll test without it for a while and see if I can hit the mcdonalds ad that I first noticed this happening on, but it appears to work

Thank you

Hey @DarkPORT,

Thank you for your reply and for confirming the status 🙂

Let us know how everything goes. 

Take care!

JeremyModerator

Suggested posts