Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Albums in "Your Library" take exceptionally long to load even when downloaded

Solved!

Albums in "Your Library" take exceptionally long to load even when downloaded

Plan

Premium

Country

United States

Device

Pixel 2 XL

Operating System

Android Pie

My Question or Issue

Hey guys, recently I've noticed that my Pixel 2 XL running the latest version of Andriod Pie and Spotify struggles to load albums in my library. It can take ~4-5 seconds to load regardless of whether or not the albums are downloaded. If I then search the same album from the "Search" page it will load almost immediately. I've tried signing into an iPhone running the latest version of Spotify and didn't experience the issue there which lead me to think it was an Android problem. I downloaded Android Studio and ran their emulator (Pixel 2 Android Pie) and experienced exactly the same lag as on my actual phone. I believe I've attached a screen recording of the emulator which should demonstrate both the lag from the "Your Library" page as well as the lack thereof on the "Search" page. Any insight on this issue would be much appreciated. Thanks!

P.S. If I can put in my two cents, the new redesigned "Your Library" page would be much nicer if it had a dedicated area for "Recently Played" as that's what I miss the most with the new UI. I know it's technically still available from the "Home" tab but it's much more limited than it used to be.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Appreciate you reaching out. Because I experienced this bug on a clean install in an Android Studio emulator (Android 9, Pixel 2 - in original post) a few months ago, I figured the bug needed to be explicitly fixed and that an update would eventually solve my problem. However, after installing Spotify on a new Android Studio emulator (Android 10, Pixel 2) it seems that this bug is no longer an issue. Unfortunately whatever update fixed this didn't actually fix the problem on my phone with the existing bug, so I did have to reinstall the app and re-download thousands of songs in order to solve my problem.

If I'm being honest, I'm pretty disappointed that the Spotify support team wasn't able to make it clear when an update that fixed this problem was released, as I've dealt with this bug for well over 6 months, and there were many community posts about this bug when it came out.

Regardless, it's been finally addressed and for that I'm grateful.

View solution in original post

6 Replies

This is happening to me too. It started with the update. Click on an album in the albums list and it takes several seconds to appear. In addition, my albums list frequently vanishes - if I'm scrolling through the screen goes black (image attached). 

Screenshot_20190621-183245.png

It's not just albums - also playlists seomtimes load forever. As well as right click menus. Tried several DNS etc. No improvement.

Any news here? It's still awfully slow - independent of the internet connection! And the really bad thing: It does not seem to cache once loaded content!

I think it's worth noting that now over 6 months later this is still a problem I experience constantly on my phone. After countless app updates and one major Android update it seems wrong that this hasn't been addressed or even acknowledged by Spotify here. Any chance this will get looked into?

Hey there folks, 

Thanks for reaching out to the Community about this. 

Just to confirm, have you tried a clean reinstall of the Spotify app on your device? We recommend this step as it'll remove the old drivers first and then install the new ones. It'll also get you the latest version of Spotify. These changes tend to solve issues like the one you're experiencing.

Give your device a quick restart as well before you open the newly installed app. 

It's also a good idea to log in to your Spotify account on another device just to check if you observe the same. If it doesn't occur on a different device, we'd suggest making sure that your original device is up to speed with any software updates available.

Hope this helps. Let us know how it goes. 

Marked as solution

Appreciate you reaching out. Because I experienced this bug on a clean install in an Android Studio emulator (Android 9, Pixel 2 - in original post) a few months ago, I figured the bug needed to be explicitly fixed and that an update would eventually solve my problem. However, after installing Spotify on a new Android Studio emulator (Android 10, Pixel 2) it seems that this bug is no longer an issue. Unfortunately whatever update fixed this didn't actually fix the problem on my phone with the existing bug, so I did have to reinstall the app and re-download thousands of songs in order to solve my problem.

If I'm being honest, I'm pretty disappointed that the Spotify support team wasn't able to make it clear when an update that fixed this problem was released, as I've dealt with this bug for well over 6 months, and there were many community posts about this bug when it came out.

Regardless, it's been finally addressed and for that I'm grateful.

Suggested posts