Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Android 2.3] Farewell to Gingerbread & Honeycomb

[Android 2.3] Farewell to Gingerbread & Honeycomb

Hello community, staff here. 

The time has come for us to say farewell to support for Android software Gingerbread and Honeycomb. Also, we'll be saying farewell to support for armv5 processors.  

We take deprecating platform versions very seriously but we reluctantly took the decision since a very small percent of our Android users are on Gingerbread, Honeycomb and devices with armv5 processors.

What will happen if I use Gingerbread or Honeycomb? 

You will continue to be able to use Spotify. The last version for Android 2.3.x will be Spotify 1.2.5. After that, we won't perform anymore updates to Spotify for this group. 

Does this mean you won't take care of these users anymore? 

You ask such great questions! As long as we have users on Gingerbread, Honeycomb or armv5 processors, we need to care about giving them a good experience on Spotify. We still plan to do hot-fixes on the app as needed. We're also taking steps to make sure that future back end changes don't "break" support for any of these users.

I really love Gingerbread cookies. 

We do too. Unfortunately, that's not a question. Also, its another thing entirely. 

If you have any feedback or questions, please post here. 

21 Replies

Eh?

There is many phones with these OS. And you simple not update these anymore?

Yeah, I know you need to put people to purchase new phone!

Some deals open with Google?

I think that the latest version of Spotify is too much for my HTC Wildfire S phone with Gingerbread OS. Is there any way we can obtain a version of the app that doesn't require as many resources/works smoother than it currently does?

@Shocker_33 wrote:

I think that the latest version of Spotify is too much for my HTC Wildfire S phone with Gingerbread OS. Is there any way we can obtain a version of the app that doesn't require as many resources/works smoother than it currently does?

I've replied in your thread providing a link to the last version available for devices running Android 2.3.x or lower.

If anyone else has this issue then Spotify version 1.2.0.534 can be downloaded here. Make sure the option to install from unknown sources is checked in security settings on your device.

The Spotify app should be set to check device versions and therefore not auto-update the Spotify app. If however you notice the app is being updated with the newest version then please re-install the app I linked to above and disable automatic updating of apps in the Google Play Store.

Please use the search feature before posting a problem/bug/idea.
What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?
     Using Spotify Since March 10th 2009
     Twitter: @mechanimal82

Android Troubleshooting:
[COMPLETE GUIDE] How to fix most Android issues
Spotify Android Version History

Can older versions of the app be obtained? I personally don't care for the most features and just want the app to run smoothly and to be able to play music offline .

@Shocker_33 wrote:

Can older versions of the app be obtained? I personally don't care for the most features and just want the app to run smoothly and to be able to play music offline .

Hi. Spotify will only ever allow the most recent version to be downloaded from their server as it will have the latest bug fixes, features etc and older versions are no longer supported. However you can find plently of sources on the internet for older apk's if you search.

Android Troubleshooting:

Bull**bleep** move. Im not buying a new phone just for Spotify. Downgraded account for me.

Just sell Spotify to Apple or Google already, your programs are still beta-versions, your support sucks, the music-library is a big mess and you havent made one dollar in profit yet. Time to let the big boys take over.

Do you recommend any sources for the older versions?

@Shocker_33 wrote:

Do you recommend any sources for the older versions?

Spotify won't allow older versions to be downloaded unless in an exceptional circumstance. Only the latest version is supported, so it doesn't make sense to offer previous versions.

If however you are after a particular version I have most previous versions saved.

Android Troubleshooting:

The dropbox link to download version 1.2.0.534 don't work anymore. Anyway it seems the last version is 1.2.5.3 for us. Somebody knows where I can download it whitout Google Play for my old Galaxy Y under Android 2.6.3 ? Hey Spotify, it's kind of boring that I can't download it anymore from m.spotify.com ! I'm paying 10€ each month god damned !

Cheers

@spotifile wrote:

The dropbox link to download version 1.2.0.534 don't work anymore. Anyway it seems the last version is 1.2.5.3 for us. Somebody knows where I can download it whitout Google Play for my old Galaxy Y under Android 2.6.3 ? Hey Spotify, it's kind of boring that I can't download it anymore from m.spotify.com ! I'm paying 10€ each month god damned !

Cheers

Sorry about that. Try this link:https://www.dropbox.com/s/2gfexn186llbe18/Spotify_1.2.0.534.apk?dl=1

Android Troubleshooting:

Thank you Daniel.

Is the link compatible with armv6 ? I can't install it on my phone...

@spotifile wrote:

Thank you Daniel.

Is the link compatible with armv6 ? I can't install it on my phone...

What phone and android version are you using? 

Android Troubleshooting:

Samsung Galaxy Y GT-S5360

Android 2.3.6

Thanks

@spotifile wrote:

Samsung Galaxy Y GT-S5360

Android 2.3.6

Thanks

Odd. What message do you get when you try to install it? 

Android Troubleshooting:

I click on the link and it says :

"Installation"

and after

"Application not installed"

???

@spotifile wrote:

I click on the link and it says :

"Installation"

and after

"Application not installed"

???

Do you have another version of the app installed at all? Try removing a previous install and treat this as a clean install. 

Android Troubleshooting:

I have formated my SD card and reseted my phone but it don't work... always the same "application not installed". Thks anyway 🙂

@spotifile wrote:

I have formated my SD card and reseted my phone but it don't work... always the same "application not installed". Thks anyway 🙂

I recommend you contact Spotify Support using the form here, they may be able to help you

You will get an automated reply at first, however if you need to chase them just reply to the email as it does get monitored.

Android Troubleshooting:

It's work well on my device: Micromax A25 - Android 2.3.6.
Thank you!

Suggested posts