[Android] Home page of Spotify turned into vertical view on Android

[Android] Home page of Spotify turned into vertical view on Android

Alex

Hey folks,

We've received reports that the Home Screen on the app where tabs like "Jump back in" "More Like", "Popular new release", "Recommended for you", etc which can be scrolled sideways (horizontal) are now displayed vertically on Android devices. This is being investigated.

Cheers!

AlexModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“With freedom, flowers, books, and the moon, who could not be perfectly happy?” ― Oscar Wilde
69 Replies

joulsauron
Casual Listener

I'm one of the unlucky users that is suffering this test. I can't access anything I like from my home page anymore. Just having one option per row is totally useless. For example, if I don't like the only suggestion on the "Made for you", I won't get to the rest of my Daily Mixes because now they are more taps away. The same goes for the other rows.

Please, don't roll out this version to all users. Let me know if I have to send feedback to support as well, I'll be more than happy to do it.

Ver

Hey folks,

Thanks for posting here 🙂

We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback with us. We will make sure to pass it on to the right team.

You can also add your +Vote to this idea which is about being able to customize your home screen. You can also Subscribe so you can stay up-to-date with any relevant news about this.

If you have questions, you know where to find us.

VerModerator
"Difficult roads often lead to beautiful destinations." ―Zig Ziglar

kevoz
Casual Listener
  1. The home page looks weird. It's reduced my recommendations down to just one per sub-section. Is anyone else experiencing the same issue?  Here is how it looks.
Screenshot_20210429-163452_Spotify.jpg
Screenshot_20210429-151106_Spotify.jpg

MattSuda
Rock Star 24
Rock Star 24

Hey @kevoz 

Thanks for coming to the Spotify Community to post your feedback.

I do not have this UI in my mobile app so it appears that this is a test.

You can read more info about Spotify feature testing and why something new might show up here in this help article:

Why has the app changed? 

MattSudaRock Star 24
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

izzi47187
Casual Listener

Mine also looks like this lately - I don't like it, it's much harder to find things like my daily playlists or suggestions for radio stations based on my recent listening. Having only one suggestion per category seems like a poor choice to me. 

kevoz
Casual Listener
  1. But a person we were chatting with through customer support said it'll be fixed in the next update. I just updated but it's still the same

Eni

Hi folks,

Thanks for getting in touch about this. 

We’re always testing possible improvements and new features, so you might see something on the app that other users don't, or get a brand-new feature for only a temporary period. You can obtain more info about this in the link @MattSuda sent previously.

We really value your feedback as it helps inform our decisions going forward, and we'll be sure to pass this on to the right folks here at Spotify.

If you need help with anything else, just let us know.

EniModerator

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

kangoo909
Casual Listener

Plan

Premium

Country

United Kingdom

Device

Laptop, Smartphone

Operating System

Android, Windows 10

My Solution:

A lot of people are running into the 'Can't play this right now' warning. The warning is showing in a blue bar above the play controls.

I'm using Spotify on my smartphone by connecting and switching between blue-tooth earbuds and Sonos speakers (from within the Spotify app and Sonos App). On my laptop I just play through my connected speakers. The switching between connected speaker devices and my laptop doesn't always work seamless and playing from my laptop often makes Spotify run as a background process on my phone as well (showing it as playing on my laptop). This happens especially when roaming from data connection to Wifi.

Beside what the real cause of this might be, I did notice that when the warning pops up on my laptop, going on my phone and switching to 'Listen on my phone' and killing Spotify as a process solves the issue on my laptop. Both devices are connected to the same Wifi connection when the warning occurs.

Just my two cents. Hope it works for you as well

kodonovan
Visitor

I have had this issue for a few months now. Your solution did not work for me, either. This can't be an overly complicated issue lol come on spotify, fix**bleep**.

Ivan
Spotify Legend

Hey @kangoo909 and @kodonovan

Help’s here!

Could you confirm if you still get this error message after logging out from all devices and then logging back in? Occasionally this is necessary to force a sync of info between your device and our account system.

If this persists after the logout, make sure you perform a clean reinstall of Spotify on the device in use. This will clean up corrupted data that could be causing the issue. 

Let us know how you get on! We'll be here in case you need any further help with this. 

kangoo909
Casual Listener
Hi Ivan,

the problem in the Spotify Desktop app doesn't go away, with all the known solutions out there (this forum and dozens of other sites claiming to have the solution for this problem; yours included). I've applied my solution now for a good number of times and so far it makes the problem go away without failing. The problem is too intermittent and I should keep track of when it occurs, but as far as I remember, this usually happens after I did connect my phone to another device (Sonos in my case) on the same Wifi network my laptops on.

arfwdd
Visitor

Hi ivan,

I still having this problem in my devices after i perform clear reinstall. In my case my windows desktop, smartphone, and web player all having problem.

• Windows desktop & web player : black screen for couple of minutes then showing couldn't find that page
  • Smartphone : no internet connection available sign come up when i open the app using wifi.

This problem have bothered me in the last few days. Please help so i can enjoy my music back well again.

16224270116492312113160469814669.jpg
16224274426906108736366666698489.jpg

Ivan
Spotify Legend

Hey @arfwdd

Help’s here!

If this persists after a clean reinstall, could you confirm if it's happening only when connected to a certain Internet connection? If possible, we'd suggest connecting to a different network to check if you observe the same.  

If it works with another connection, it’d be a good idea troubleshooting further the original one (for example, by restarting your router). You can also reach out to the service provider of the original network so that they can take a look on their end as well.

Hope this helps. Keep us posted.  

GSYC
Music Fan

Plan

Premium

Country

Singapore 

Device

Samsung Galaxy A51

Operating System

Android 11

My Question or Issue

My home page showing recently played, based on your recent activity HORIZONTALLY, is now showing VERTICALLY. PLEASE HELP. I already uninstalled the app, even checked for updates. Nothing.

Screenshot_20210608-115211_Spotify.jpg
Screenshot_20210608-114447_Spotify.jpg

Alex

Hey @GSYC,

Thanks for reaching out about this in the Community!

What has most likely happened is that Car Mode is turned on.

Make sure Bluetooth is off and then go into Spotify settings > Car Mode > Never.

Let us know if that helped 🙂

AlexModerator

“With freedom, flowers, books, and the moon, who could not be perfectly happy?” ― Oscar Wilde

GSYC
Music Fan

No it didn't work. After uninstalling and reinstalling the app, my device name under Spotify Connect is now 'Android' instead of originally being 'SM-A515F'

Screenshot (723).png
20210608_220454.jpg

Alex

Hey @GSYC,

Thanks for the reply.

Could you clarify if you've reinstalled the app on your phone or the PC?

Also did you do a full clean reinstall like described here, or simply deleting and reinstalling the app?

We'll be on the lookout for your reply.

AlexModerator

GSYC
Music Fan
  • I did the clean reinstall on my Android, iPhone and Windows 10 device. I was chatting with a Spotify agent named Mahesh I about this, and he also told me to do the clean reinstall. He said it will take a few hours. Its been more than 5 hours since I did on all 3 devices, but so far nothing 

GSYC
Music Fan

This was the conversation we had I only screenshotted the end part.

Screenshot_20210609-055733_Samsung Internet.jpg
Screenshot_20210609-055401_Samsung Internet.jpg
Screenshot_20210609-054112_Samsung Internet.jpg
SUGGESTED POSTS