Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Android] [Podcasts] Can't play podcasts on some Samsung Galaxy S phones

Solved!

[Android] [Podcasts] Can't play podcasts on some Samsung Galaxy S phones

Problem

I cannot play any of podcasts using two of my phones: Samsung Galaxy S8 and Galaxy S8+.

I press Play and...nothing happens. On Android Auto screen I can see it try to load something but no other results.
Problem doesn't exist on my account at any other device (Galaxy Tab S2, iPhone 7, Samsung Smart TV - all works fine). I don't remember when was the last time podcast had worked on my two Galaxys: S8 and S8+

Spotify app version

8.5.93.445 (and all older)

Plan

Premium Duo

Country

Poland (system language: Polish and English)

Devices

Samsung Galaxy S8 & Galaxy S8+

Operating System

Android 9 (latest official software)

Other information

I've already tried to:

- cleaning app data,

- performing a clean reinstall of the Spotify app

- changing Phone language

Nothing helps.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hi there @hubim

Thanks for getting in touch and for letting us know that. 

Could you let us know if you're using an SD card? If so, we suggest that you remove it > restart your device > reinstall the app and check if that makes the difference. 

On another note, could you let us know if you have any cache-clearing apps that cleans your phone's cache everyday (like Device Care, etc.)? If so, we'd suggest adding Spotify to the exception list.

Keep us posted 🙂

EniModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

View solution in original post

8 Replies

Same here, but on S20+, though it happend on my S7 edge, too... That's especially frustrating as I wanted to play the "daily wellness" playlist while I was en route to my significant other.

I can't add more songs to my favorites list, too: it says I already have too many songs on that list, but on PC I still can add songs.

Hey @hubim and @OldManLoki,

Thanks for reaching out to the Community.

@hubim does the issue occur on your Samsung phone only when connected to the car or in general? Could you check if you can download a podcast and listen to it with the app set in offline mode? You can learn how to do this here

@OldManLoki we recommend you log out everywhere and run a clean reinstall on all your devices, this involves deleting the cache files of the app and will force a account wide resynchronization of your info. You can have a look at this guide for the steps relevant to each device. This tends to solve issues like the ones you're describing.

Hope you find this useful. Keep us posted how you get on.

Mihail Moderator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Thanks! It worked. Don't know why it didn't before.🤷‍♂️👍

Hi @Mihail,

the issue occur on my phones in general. It does not matter whether the phone is connected to the car or not. Music plays fine everytime. Podcasts don't.

Downloading podcasts and then playing it with the app set in offline mode works fine! 🙂

I did not check this option before.

Anyway podcast stop playing after I go back to online mode and try to re-open it again online.

Hi folks, 

Thanks for getting back to us. 

@OldManLoki, we're happy to hear everything's working just fine. If you need us again, you know where to find us!

@hubim, would you mind asking a friend or a family member to log into their personal account using any of the affected devices to see if they can replicate this? This will help us see if the issue is related to your account. 

We'll keep an eye out for your reply.

NovyModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

It took me a while (due to social distance and not meeting any friends 😞 ). My firend has logged in on his free account on my device and everything is fine. Podcasts playing works good.

It shows that the issue is related to my personal account, not the Phone!

I'm really suprised.

Please help me solve the problem. 
Marked as solution

Hi there @hubim

Thanks for getting in touch and for letting us know that. 

Could you let us know if you're using an SD card? If so, we suggest that you remove it > restart your device > reinstall the app and check if that makes the difference. 

On another note, could you let us know if you have any cache-clearing apps that cleans your phone's cache everyday (like Device Care, etc.)? If so, we'd suggest adding Spotify to the exception list.

Keep us posted 🙂

EniModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

Thank you for the quick reply.

I use SD Card.  After removing SD, restarting device and reinstaling Spotify everything started to work fine. Podcasts play as they should 🙂

After installing SD Card againt it's still fine.

I was sure I hadn't use any cache clearing app but i found out that stock Sasmung cleaning app was turned on. I turned it off just in case, for the future.

Yet again, thank you for your help! You saved my travels, because i like listening podcasts in car 🙂

Suggested posts