Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Android - Rename Device

Solved!

Android - Rename Device

Hi there, I have just had Spotify connect enabled (great feature) but now am having problems locating the correct device to start playback on.

In the connect screen the the Model number is shown not the device name set in the Android > Settings > About Device section, this is very confusing.

If I open the windows Spotify client the three devices appear under 'devices' and if I right click on any of them there is an option to 'Rename' but when clicked nothing happens.

Any ideas how I can I change the device name?

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

to rename your device, so that spotify connect displays correctly, follow below

open android device manager from a web browser - click on the edit icon (the pencil) and select rename device - set desired name and restart the phone

open spotify on the phone once restarted, give a few minutes and then open spotify elsewhere (desktop etc)

et voila - renamed

just done it with both my Android phones

View solution in original post

13 Replies

Can confirm this is the same on my Galaxy S4, but name's change fine on iOS devices. Don't have a lot of time to play with it though, someone else might know! @Marco ?

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Yep, having exactly the same issue myself. Seems a bit silly to have the option there but no way to make it work...

Does anyone every respond to peoples questions or problems.....having the same problem

In Android it retuns the device name as provided on the Network. Most devices allow you to rename them directly... for example in my wireless Speakers settings I have renamed them to 'Upstairs' & unsurpisingly... 'Downstairs'. When I load up the Spotify app this is how they appear.

Unfortunately there is no way in the Android app to rename a device on the network.

Please use the search feature before posting a problem/bug/idea.
What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?
     Using Spotify Since March 10th 2009
     Twitter: @mechanimal82

Android Troubleshooting:
[COMPLETE GUIDE] How to fix most Android issues
Spotify Android Version History

I also have this issue. In my house I have three Fire TV sticks all running Spotify Connect so playing to a specific one is a bit of a gamble and I enevitably end up interrupting someone elses stream!

It would be great if the app could pick up the device name given to it, or at least allow me to manually name them.

My HTC One M8 has this "issue" as well.

However, once in a while , Spotify Connect will suddenly display my devices name, it lasts for a bit, then if i open up Spotify on my laptop, it will show the model number instead.

**If Spotify can successfully develop and create the Spotify Connect feature,  then they should figure out how to permanently enable the custom device name to display.

Spotify.png
Marked as solution

to rename your device, so that spotify connect displays correctly, follow below

open android device manager from a web browser - click on the edit icon (the pencil) and select rename device - set desired name and restart the phone

open spotify on the phone once restarted, give a few minutes and then open spotify elsewhere (desktop etc)

et voila - renamed

just done it with both my Android phones

Just tried it,

No go...

wdwmrwomble

Nope, doesn't work. Was a good try though.

Hi Peter

You mention ios devices.  I have three whch I use as offline devices each has a specific name such as "Peter's iPhone", "Tom's iPhone" or iPhone 3GS.  This naming is done on each phone by going to Settings> General> About> Name and entering the name string you want. It would be great if these customised names or some string using the first 6 characters of each name could be used on the Spotify page used to display this information on the Offline devices Spotify page https://www.spotify.com/us/account/offline-devices/. This page shows the offlline devices that your account has and the date at which they were last connected to Spotify (online mode} allowing Spotify to check how many times each track has been played while in offline mode.

Hey all,

The past few months, my Android device has been recognized on Spotify desktop with its device name, not model number.

The ADM trick also didnt work for me.

989.png

Solved?

Hi,

by now i also have 3 firetv boxes and spotify calls them all firetv in available devices.

would be great if spotify would use the device name in available devices or offer the option to rename them.

how do we get a feature request in?

Unfortunately, Google has removed this functionality from Android Device Manager.

Suggested posts