Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Android Spotify app cannot switch back to phone playback on latest update

Solved!

Android Spotify app cannot switch back to phone playback on latest update

Spotify Android version 8.5.77.1043

Hi.
Since the latest update, when I have been casting from spotify to a chromecast or Google Home/Nest device, when I stop playback (via phone or voice command) and try to play on my phone...I can't switch playback back to the phone.

When I try to manually switch back, "This phone" under "Select a device" is greyed out and it states Unavailable for listening on.

There is a work around but this only works if you have google home installed and can access the device through that and select stop casting. Then spotify switches back to "This phone" for playback. But this is awkward at best...and if you forget to do that before you leave your home you won't be able to access the device in Google Home to tell it to stop casting!

I've tested this on devices running Android 9, 10, 11 and 6. All exhibit the same behaviour so it is not related to Android itself and thus appears to be an issue with the latest spotify update.

Thanks for reading.

Anybody else have this issue? 🙂

*EDIT*

OK so if I load spotify with WiFi disabled....then while music is playing on my phone I connect to WiFi and then select a device to cast to, I can switch between my phone and the casting device.

If I load spotify with WiFi already connected, then my phone is unavailable to switch to...very odd, right?

28 Replies

Same problem, using a Google Pixel 3A, play on this phone is greyed out, whether I cast to Sonos or Chromecast.

I'm having the same issue on my Pixel 4 XL (running android 11).

As someone else pointed out, closing the desktop app allows for playback to resume on my phone.

I'm not expecting an instant fix immediately...I know software dev doesn't work that way...

But a response/acknowledgement of the issue would be nice...? ☹️

Yep, same on my P4XL. Pretty inconvenient I have to completely close the app to switch to my phone.
I just switched to spotify too, so this is a great introduction to the app..

Same problem here, using a Pixel 3a. As stated above, the work around I've gained from the others here is to use the Spotify app on my Chromebook to switch back to playing on my phone. I've had too many issues with this app and Alexa speaker. I like the Spotify app but it has so many issues...

Marked as solution

I received an update to spotify this morning and it appears to be working normally again.

Sorted. 🙂

this morning's update seems to have fixed it for me too.

me too

this doesn't work for me absolutely nothing does, quitting spotify for good because it's just unusable for me 

Suggested posts