Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Android] Spotify automatically starts when I connect to Bluetooth

[Android] Spotify automatically starts when I connect to Bluetooth

When I start my car and when the phone bluetooth is connected to the car, Spotify starts playing or resumes automatically.
Temporarily I have disconnected audio permission from my phone bluetooth settings so as too any audio except phone calls is not an output from the car speaker.
Just in case if you need the following info.
Phone: Samsung S22 Ultra
Car: Toyota Corolla 2018
6 Replies

Hello @alan_joga17!

Thanks for reaching out. I believe Android Auto has a feature called Automatically resume media which you should be able to toggle off to prevent this behaviour of Spotify. Let me know if you're able to find this in your car's Android Auto settings.

Have a nice day 🙂

Jose_MSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Hello Jose_M,

Thanks for replying to my query. Very much appreciated. 

Unfortunately, my car does not have Android Auto settings since it is 2018 model. But I'm sure it would work like you have suggested if the car has this settings.

Thanks again 😊

Hello @alan_joga17!

Thanks for your reply. The autostart feature depends on how the bluetooth system interacts with Spotify's API and it's usually determined by the bluetooth device's software. However, you can find a few setting options in the floating message of this thread that helped some users fix this.

Let me know if any of them do the trick 🙂

Jose_MSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Plan

Premium

Country

UK

Device

Samsung Flip 3, but happened on Samsung S21 too.

Operating System Android Oreo, 

My Question or Issue

Every time I get in ether my car or my wife's car, Spotify automatically starts playing. If the phone is not connected to the stereo it will just play via the phone its self. I've had this before and the advice was delete and reinstall the app, did that and it stopped for a while. Out of nowhere with me making no changes to anything it's started again.

Tried deleting and reinstalling again, tries turning off running in background, all to no avail.

It is driving me nuts and is really dangerous as I end up having to manually turn Spotify off while driving. If you can't help me folks I am definitely cancelling subscription after years of being a Spotify user.

Thanks.

In my chevy, disconnect from android auto, spotify was not open or playing, spotify just starts playing through Bluetooth, without even opening up on my phone to see it. Spotify was forced closed previously and not re opened. All auto play features in settings are off. Car thing is off, can't find anything else to turn off to prevent spotify from autoplaying out of nowhere. How to stop this?

I do not understand after more than 10 years (judged by looking for how many times and for how long this "Please let me really turn OFF the Spotify app! when I want to" kinds of problems have existed.  Why is OFF some sort of weird feature request? 

Why is there some instead some random explanation as to why OFF is not what we want?

This is very confusing.

Suggested posts