Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Android app. Not updating playing song.

Android app. Not updating playing song.

Mobile is Broken. Is not showing currently playing song. Is instead showing first song played when opened app. Cannot fix without force stopping. This is happening on 3 different, recently updated phones so it's not me.  Very frustrating.

I really want to cancel this service that underpays artists while overpaying employees and promotes censorship and devisive social politics. You are giving me a great excuse spotify.

Plan

Premium

Country

UK

Device

Pixel 3 Pixel 4 Cubot x30

Operating System

Android 10/11

44 Replies

Same issue after 8.6.66.1238 update, even formatted my moto g stylus on Android 11.

Any other suggestions?

Edit to add: rolling back to 8.6.60.1126 fixes it

Same here, the bug is back. Also for everyone I know using android. 

Hi there folks,

Thank you for your replies and feedback.

Can you confirm that you followed the steps that's provided in this article? There's some more steps to help thoroughly uninstall the app from your phone so if you haven't, we'd highly suggest it since the steps will make sure there's no old cache files causing this.

If that doesn't do the trick and you have an SD card we suggest that you uninstall the app > turn off your phone > take out your SD card > turn on the phone again (without the SD card) > reinstall the app since the card can be corrupted.

We'll keep an eye out for your replies.

Take care!

JeremyModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

Tried to reinstall per your instructions. No effect whatsoever on the bug. 

Hey @Persojet,

Thanks for your reply.

To confirm, is this happening while you're playing on another device through Connect or directly on the phone's speakers or headphones?

Additionally, could you confirm if you followed the suggestion @Jeremy mentioned about the SD card, in case you're using one?

Lastly, make sure that there aren't any optimization or battery-saving settings enabled for Spotify on your phone.

Keep us posted.

CarlosEModerator

Good question. It's infact connected to car stereo via Bluetooth and it does not update information on cars display. So this might be more correct thread: https://community.spotify.com/t5/Ongoing-Issues/Wrong-metadata-displayed-on-car-radio-via-Bluetooth/...

No optimizations are on and there is no SD card slot on the phone. 

Hey @Persojet,

Thanks for keeping us posted 🙂

In case this happens only when you're using Connect, you might be indeed experiencing the issue mentioned here.

We'd suggest you following the steps in the Status Update and add your +Vote. You can also Subscribe to the thread so you can stay up-to-date with any relevant news about this,

If you need anything else, the Community is here for you.

Ver Moderator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

I am having the same issue. Also, the status of the "play" button dosnt change, when it is pressed. The music starts to play but the button still reads "play". After pausing and hiting play again, it changes. 

Hi there @pzhbfhr,

Thank you for your reply in this  thread.

Can you let us know if you followed all of the troubleshooting steps that's been provided in this thread?

Also, does this occur while you're using connect or do you always get this behavior?

We'll be on the lookout for your reply.

Take care!

JeremyModerator
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

Weirdly, it's back to normal today. I didnt change anything, maybe it had to do with the podcast-issue. I will keep it under observation.

Hey @pzhbfhr,

Thanks for your reply.

We're glad to know it was sorted out.

If the issue comes back or you need anything else, the Community is here for you.

Cheers!

CarlosEModerator

Happening to me:

Device: Oppo Find X3 Neo

Spotify version: 8.6.88.1104

The only fix is restarting the device.

Hey @AndyBridges,

Thanks for posting here.

Just to double-check-are there any changes after trying the steps mentioned in the thread?

Keep us in the loop.

Ver Moderator

Hi Ver,

The issue of Spotify Premium app on the mobile device (Oppo) not updating the current playing song seems to be resolved by enabling 'Allow background activity' on the Power consumption controls of the phone settings.

However, another similar issue when I am listening to musing in the car is is still on. The car display does not update the currently playing song when connected through bluetooth. It did not happen with my old Samsung Galaxy.

I will keep chasing for a solution for the latter.

Hi @AndyBridges,

Thank you for keeping in touch. 

Since the issue with your car's device is different from the issue treated on this thread and to keep everything better organized, we suggest you open a new thread on the corresponding help board so we can start troubleshooting that issue there. 

We'll be on the lookout.

MafeGModerator

You can add Pixel 5a, Android 12 to list. phone connected to car bluetooth having same issue where if i switch songs, dead silence for 30 - 60 seconds, the display does not update and the beginning of next song is cut off. Eventually the song will begin playing somewhere in the middle and if i am real lucky the display will eventually update. the app was working perfectly until a couple of months ago, that's about when i noticed the start of flakiness.

Hey @vpollinzi,

Thanks for posting in the Community.

Have you tried reproducing the issue with a different device and a different account? This will help us isolate the reasons for this behavior. It's be also good if you could try it on a different car radio if possible.

Also make sure to set Spotify as an exception in the battery/memory optimization settings of your phone.

Let us know how that went,

Cheers!

DianModerator

Hi Dian, Unfortunately I don't have another device but setting battery usage for Spotify app from Optimized to Unrestricted seems to have help. Thanks for that! I also set Mobile data & Wi-Fi setting to Unrestricted data usage for Spotify app. Now I am only seeing issues updating the display. For example; when 2nd song in playlist starts, it takes about 30 - 90 seconds to update display, (metadata). Any further ideas on resolving that would be nice. Thanks again!

Hey @vpollinzi,

Thanks for your reply in this thread 🙂

We understand that you don't have any other devices; nevertheless, it’d be awesome if you could check in a different one. You can ask for the mobile device of a relative or a friend to open your account and check. This is very important to us, since it'll help us isolate your inconvenience.

On another note, did you notice if this is happening on a different account? You can also create a free test account to open on the device you noticed this inconvenience and check if the inconvenience persists there.

We'll keep an eye on your response! 

AlejaRModerator

Hi AlejaR, I was able to test with different Pixel 5a connected to same vehicle via bluetooth using different account and it worked great. Then tried my account with same config and it worked great. Finally, I tried my Pixel 5a connected to same vehicle via bluetooth using my account and voila, it worked great. Sweeeeet! It appears you all have fixed the display issue and life is once again good. Appreciate the prompt response and excellent technical expertise in addressing this issue. Let me know if any other info is desired.
Have a great Day,
Vincent

Suggested posts